I want to buy a new rifle

2ski

I'm good on pistols for right now, though at some point I want to buy either a .41 mag or .44 mag. I wouldn't mind having an O/U shotgun, but I'm thinking about a new rifle. I wouldn't mind buying new varmit rifle, say a .17HMR or a .220 Swift/.22-250/.223(though I do have an AR so....) What do you like best out of that group and why?

Also, say I started to dabble in long-range shooting. I'd be looking to get something that can go up to elk. What would you suggest? I don't re-load right now, and I realize that I should if I'm going to go long-range, but say part of the criteria for the rifle was, for now, I had to at least be able to buy ammo somewhat easily. Until I get into reloading. Rifles right now, I have a .270 and .243.

I think of your varmint calibers without you reloading, I would go .223 or 22-250 with the later being my preference. If you want something that is light recoil and good up to elk I'd go 7mm-08 or .308. Selection of ammo is less but also consider the .260 or 6.5 creedmore.

Depending on your budget and what rifle you have, maybe you would be better off rebuilding and upgrading your existing rifle into a real tackdriver. After all the 243 or 270 would also fit your criteria. Though I would bever vlame anyone for getting another gun.

I'd take the new gun money and buy a reloading setup. It'll allow to do the 2 things you mention you want to do in your post more affordably with the rifles you currently have.

Accurate 22.250's are off the chart fun to shoot. My son in law has a Rem 700 Varmint (think Sendero)..prints bulls eye touching clovers all day long..and you can watch them impact thru the VX3i 4.5x14x40.

Accurate 22.250's are off the chart fun to shoot. My son in law has a Rem 700 Varmint (think Sendero)..prints bulls eye touching clovers all day long..and you can watch them impact thru the VX3i 4.5x14x40.

This.

I have a Tikka T3 lite in 22-250 and it's a 1/2 inch gun with little to no load development and a cheap scope. That 4.5x14 VX3i is a solid scope.

As for long range, the biggest gift you can give yourself is a cartridge that isn't $3 a pop. Practice is what makes it work when you get beyond 250 yards or so. That's where reloading can help. You spend $500 upfront to produce twice as much ammo for 25% less cost. :D

If I were interested in getting out beyond 400 yards, I'd be looking at a 7mm WSM or 300 WSM.

Last edited:
You seem to be looking for a reason to buy any rifle. :) Go big, you have the little stuff covered. That AR is a varmint rifle, as is the 243. The 270 is adequate for most anything, but a little bigger say 30cal wouldn't be a bad thing to add to the mix.

I own a 17hmr, 2- 223's including an AR, and a 220 swift They're all fun to shoot. Since you don't reload I would stay away from the 220 swift. I love the caliber but it is hard to find ammo and its expensive. My wife has a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223 that absolutely drives tacks. My Marlin 17HMR is a blast to shoot and ammo is cheap. I have a BSA sweet 17 scope on my HMR so the turrets are custom made for the 17gr rounds and is deadly out to 300yards on groundhogs. The optics on the scope are junk, but I wouldn't put any other scope on a 17HMR.

Though I sincerely love varmint hunting with the .17 I would recommend the .22-250. Its an all around great choice. Its got the punch needed for larger varmints and it does exceedingly well at medium long range. I've decimated prairie dogs at 500+ yards with it. It also handles wind better than say the .204 Ruger. Nothing wrong with any of the rounds you mentioned. But as a first varmint rifle a .22-250 will satisfy and do the job perfectly with the right optics.

I love to shoot. A lot.

223s have ya covered in that regard whether you shoot factory or roll yer own. There's inexpensive blasting Ammo like what you likely run thru yer AR as well as more expensive but still relatively cheap (compared to 22-250 and ESPECIALLY Swift) big game, target, and varmint loads.

I love my AR but there's no comparison between that and a light, accurate bolt action like my high tech specialties-stocked mini Mauser, a Tikka, or best of all a Kimber. And cartridge redundancy is never a bad thing when every range in the country has mounds of your brass waiting to be picked up! There are component catalogs that are out of 220 brass.

223 has smaller case capacity and therefore less muzzle blast.

I like the 22-250 & Swift but couldn't ever be without a slick easy carrying 223.

Looks like you need a .30 caliber. How about a nice .300 WSM in a Kimber Montana or the Mountain Ascent if you have a couple grand to blow!

Back