Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

I want every butthole on the forum! By butthole i mean opinion.

I'm gonna get my Dad a left handed bolt action rifle. Only stipulation is it must be wood stock and not a .270 He already has two .270's. He hunts mainly Pennsylvania big timber for deer. Unlimited budget what are you'll buying your Dad?

Does it have to be a bolt action? Buy him a cool lever-action .45-70, it will be good for the timber and they're lefty-proof!

Let's be serious and say 6K. This is a dead serious question ladies and gentlemen. I want buttholes that have seen action....not heard about action.
Seriously tho, 11 years ago I moved west and my dad has slowly gave up on hunting for multiple bullshit reasons. Mostly cause im gone. Im gonna ignite his fire for his cheap ass!! So help me out.
Is this 6k with scope?

If you're looking for an out of the box rifle I would go with a Sako 85.

If you want a rifle built start on a lefty 700 action and go from there. Either stainless or blued, monte carlo stock, fine checkering and an oil finish.

Chambered in just about anything in the .308 or 30-06 cartridge family.

If it were my rifle it'd be a '74 Sharps but the hammer is on the wrong side for a lefty. '85 Winchester then.

Last edited:
Any chambering that you buy will be more like a .270 than it will be different.

That being said I have a .280 Rem built on an older Remington 700 maybe 25 years ago. It has a Krieger 26 inch barrel probably 10 twist. Stock is a Richards dual grip thumbhole in exhibition grade Claro walnut. It has the Remington custom shop BDL floorplate and everything is high polish blued to match. That was done by Ray Montgomery in Grand Junction Colorado. Can't remember the trigger, but likely the factory one reworked by Neil Jones. Or it could be a Jewell or Shilen. Right now it has a Redfield 4-12 with I think Accu-Trac in Redfield rings and a 1 piece base. I don't think the turrets have ever been turned. I just bought a new VX5-HD that I was going to put on it. The gun has never been fired. It might be 10+ pounds as is.
Years ago I had it on consignment at the Cabela's in Mitchell, SD. Unfortunately, it didn't come back as pristine as it went in. Picked up a few blems while they had it. I'd like to get around $3500 as is. Would include 200 or so prepped cases and some bullets I bought since I thought about going out and shooting it.

I have 5 or 6 more just like so I don't really need another one in the rotation.

64nJib7.jpg

UWQLCnV.jpg

Last edited:
The Sako 85 is discontinued, replaced by the 100. JD Outfitters supposedly bought up the balance of those to be shipped to America; he's on Guns International.

Last time I looked there were a few LH 6.5s and a couple of .338s, as he's primarily a safari outfitter from what I can tell, mostly big bores.

I'm gonna get my Dad a left handed bolt action rifle. Only stipulation is it must be wood stock and not a .270 He already has two .270's. He hunts mainly Pennsylvania big timber for deer. Unlimited budget what are you'll buying your Dad?
Does he handload or shoot factory stuff?

Well I didn't read a lot of this but, if your not a left hand shooter, you opinion is pretty much invalid. if you are a shooter regardless which hand, your opinion only counts as to what you like to look at and hold. Then of course weather your a right or left hand shooter your opinion an cartridge will be determined by how much recoil bothers you! best way to get dad a rifle is take him shoping and let him decide on what he wants! Do it yourself and sure as can be, there will be something about oit he will nit pick!

A Cooper in .257 Roberts would certainly do the trick for whitetails in PA without unnecessary recoil. Otherwise I would be tempted to choose his favorite action, have somebody screw on a good barrel, a nice aftermarket trigger, and a walnut stock from a vendor like Stocky's.
And of course his favorite brand of rifle scope to top it off.
Good luck with your search to make your Dad happy.

Look no further buddy, there are a couple different models they make in wood stock in lefty but this one seems to fit the bill. You would not be sorry

I really like the looks of that one.

Tastes are different, If'n i wanted a wood stocked rifle, i'd probably want to do a lone peak razor and have the barrel finished with a similar matte stainless. Since i'm ignorant on wood stocks, i'd probably contact someone like @p_ham and bend his ear about what options are out there to put a wood stock on it with a shape similar to that cooper and have it finish kind of flat in color.

Make it 243, 308, 7-08, or 6 or 6.5 creedmoor with 20" barrel depending on which your pops would appreciate more. 6.5 and 308 would be easiest to find factory ammo. 243 and 6 would be more pleasant to shoot and be just fine for whitetails.

Im a lefty amd have several bolts one of my favorites is my browning medallion in 30/06 great wood grain in the stock etching in the metal and shoots great

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back