MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Which Rifle???

Honestly, none of those have been bedded. I have heard that there are problems bedding the real tupperware stocks - the bedding material doesn't want to bond with the plastic. The Edge came with pillars, and the Savage factory stock was fairly flexible - it is a varmint rifle and the heavy barrel combined with a bipod caused the stock to bear against the barrel sometimes. The Bell & Carlson stock solved that. About $100 from Cabelas on sale several years ago.

I've actually only had a couple rifles glass-bedded, and my younger brother did both of those for me. I have put shims under recoil lugs or shaved barrel channels to free-float barrels. My 40XB rimfire BR rifle isn't even bedded....and my smallest group so far with it is .036.

Last edited:
I took two Bronze Medals, in two years straight, in the NC State Games, with an out of the box Weatherby, and simple handloads. (7MM Mag)......Nuff Said?

'Sides ....how many of of your buddy's are going to show up in camp with a Weatherby ?

I have a Ruger 77 that went from 2" groups with a tupperware stock to MOA with a glass bedded B&C, so I can vouch for the accuracy there.

The bigger deal to me is the the fact that tupperware stocks flex when you try and shoot prone with a sling wrapped around your forearm, as I like to do for long shots. POI will change on some guns and cause misses :mad: so I'm slowly upgrading all of my tupperware guns to aftermarket synthetics.

I have a Browning .300 Win Mag A-Bolt that shoots a three shot 1/2 inch group at 100 yards non bench rested with 15 dollar Federal ammuntion. I am not a good shot everyone that goes to the range with me cannot believe how well it shoots.

I have a Weatherby .240 Mark V Lightweight topped with a Leopold Vari-XIII 3.5-10x40mm for sale if anyone is interested

So I ended up buying a Tikka T3. I was tempted by the Sportsmans Warehouse on a Browning X-Bolt. They told me that there was one in Casper in a 270 wsm, but when they called to get it, someone from the MDF had it on hold. I was almost tempted to get the one they had in Meridian in the 300 wsm, but I didn't. It was crazy because both the Tikka and the Browning cost the same amount!
I can't wait to come home for good and start shooting it. :) Next up is a rifle for the wife!

As others have said, all good rifles. IMO the Savage Accutrigger is unbeatable. I'm not a plastic stock fan so can't comment on that issue.

Let us know how the Tikka works out for you. They usually have a pretty good trigger out of the box and everyone of them I've had experience with (and my brother and friends own several besides mine) have shot sub-MOA and most at about a half MOA. The other advantage in my opinion, with a the short fat rounds like the WSMs, is that they feed in a straight line from the mag to the chamber - no feeding issues as I have experienced with other rifles in the WSMs.

I do have optics, I have a Leupold VX-III CDS. It's a 3.5x10x40. I am going to have it mounted and boresighted when I get back.

I plan on shooting at least one animal with it this fall, hopefully more if I draw the tags I want in Idaho. :)

I really did like the browning and will really consider buying one if I ever decide to shoot a .30 cal or bigger bullet.

Those are all good choices. You will kill anything with the setup you are considering.

If there is one thing I would add, it would be to get your trigger adjusted by a pro. Heavy triggers are the biggest reason I see for guys having a hard time being accurate. For $50-$75, a professional gunsmith will set your trigger to a better setting.

Mine are all set at 2.75#. Many guest hunters end up using my rifles for the show, due to sponsorship issues. The most common reply I get from them is, "Wow, that is a great trigger setting."

Not sure what the manufactures set the triggers at when they come from the factory, but they are long and heavy triggers. You may already have that in your plans, but thought I would mention it.

Excellent point! Had my A-bolt done along with my stock extended to fit me (I'm 6'4") Best $125 I've spent in awhile. Shoots like a dream.

I haven't looked to see if Browning is still doing the Dura-touch stock on new rifles, but if so I think it's worth looking at. It's a rubberized camo coating, pretty sweet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back