Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

I want every butthole on the forum! By butthole i mean opinion.

Well I didn't read a lot of this but, if your not a left hand shooter, you opinion is pretty much invalid. if you are a shooter regardless which hand, your opinion only counts as to what you like to look at and hold. Then of course weather your a right or left hand shooter your opinion an cartridge will be determined by how much recoil bothers you! best way to get dad a rifle is take him shoping and let him decide on what he wants! Do it yourself and sure as can be, there will be something about oit he will nit pick!
Except the problem is that hardly any place has a LH gun on the rack much less a variety of them to pick from. We know he can handle a .270 so anything in that range like .280 on down is ok. The store down the road from me has an occasional LH Tikka and a few LH Savage Axis and NOTHING IN WOOD. The Savages languish there for months and months.

IMO if he is left handed and left handed are available why should he settle for anything different? For deer sized game I'll stand by my statement that cartridges in the .270 class are more alike than they are different performance-wise. Watch enough hunting shows on the Outdoor or Sportsman's channel and you'll note that a lot of shots that SHOULD be a bang flop aren't, even tho the critter has no clue that he's about to meet his/her maker.

It’s been mentioned but put me in the 300 Weatherby camp. Mark V Deluxe. Put a nice piece of glass on it. Would be awesome. My old man likes his Mark V Deluxe more than he likes his house.

Do you know Sakoriflestore.com is legit? It lets me add everything I click on to my cart and the price on the linked rifle is about $1600 less than what JD Outfitters is asking for the same gun on Gunbroker.
No I do not, not an endorsement of that seller for sure, I'll remove hyperlink. Gotta be a scam.

I forgot to mention that there are a few custom actions available in LH from: Curtis Custom, Stiller, Zermatt, Defiance (overpriced), American Rifle Company, Kelbly..

Well I didn't read a lot of this but, if your not a left hand shooter, you opinion is pretty much invalid. if you are a shooter regardless which hand, your opinion only counts as to what you like to look at and hold. Then of course weather your a right or left hand shooter your opinion an cartridge will be determined by how much recoil bothers you! best way to get dad a rifle is take him shoping and let him decide on what he wants! Do it yourself and sure as can be, there will be something about oit he will nit pick!
His dad set out the criteria and likely not the OP. So it's LH, bolt action wood stock and not a .270. I expect that anyone's opinion is welcome regarding cartridge. Most of us have a favorite or 2. Twas me I'd get something where ammo is readily available and you don't need to mortgage the farm in order to buy it. I'd stay away from .300 Win mags or Weatherbys. Waaayyyy more than you need for an Eastern whitetail.

Last edited:
Custom LH action of your choice and get @p_ham to build it. As far as caliber, if he doesn't handload, a .308 would be a great caliber for eastern whitetails. Plus, ammo is everywhere.

I’m a little shocked and dismayed you didn’t toss out .257 Angry Roy.

I feel like I don’t even know you anymore.
If deer hunting was going to be the main activity, a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 257 Weatherby might just be the ticket!

If you actually wanted your dad to hunt with the rifle, I would be concerned that getting him a rifle that was too fancy (or expensive) might result in it becoming a safe queen for fear of scratching it. I would spend more money on optics and get him a nice scope and binoculars to go with the rifle (us older folks appreciate bright optics).

It’s been mentioned but put me in the 300 Weatherby camp. Mark V Deluxe. Put a nice piece of glass on it. Would be awesome. My old man likes his Mark V Deluxe more than he likes his house.

Absolutely awesome rifle, I sure love mine! Mine is topped with a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x 56 Firedot Duplex.

I’m a little shocked and dismayed you didn’t toss out .257 Angry Roy.

I feel like I don’t even know you anymore.
Good point, not much difference in felt recoil...seriously
If deer hunting was going to be the main activity, a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 257 Weatherby might just be the ticket!

If you actually wanted your dad to hunt with the rifle, I would be concerned that getting him a rifle that was too fancy (or expensive) might result in it becoming a safe queen for fear of scratching it. I would spend more money on optics and get him a nice scope and binoculars to go with the rifle (us older folks appreciate bright optics).
This senior is past worrying about smile lines on rifle furniture.

Easy............get him a Ruger #1 Find a good used one or check as Ruger usually makes 3 chambering in different models of the #1 usually each year. Beautiful rifles that are strong side fluid. Cannot believe I just said that even if it was only in fun poking at all the crap going on today!

11399.html
For example how about this 275 Rigby / 7x57 Mauser!!

1680971423200.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back