Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

I want a moose...

huntergirl_19

Hey guys

I want to start building points for moose tags somewhere this year. I was thinking Maine or New Hampshire, but I hear numbers are down. I did some research and it seems like Idaho may be a good choice as well. Do any of you have recs on where I should start building moose points? I'm applying for other animals as well, so I will have to pick just 1 state for moose.

Thanks!

I doing Idaho moose this year, after four years of elk/deer. I tried for some of the ID glory units for many years and did not draw. I am dumping NH, VT, and ME this year. Just too low of odds for me.

If a Shiras is on your list, seems Idaho would be the best bet.

If you really want a chance to kill a moose without waiting years building points, book a hunt in Newfoundland, Canada. Unfortunately guides are required.

Well, my hunt in Alaska will be just as cheap as going to Id.The tag costs in Id may have you think twice,but draw odds are good.I always go in for Vt,Me,NH.Odds are low but someone draws.I usually put in for just archery in Vt not sure if that ups my odds much
My diy Alaska hunt this year will run under $4500 for everything included

Try idaho but do the research and pick a unit with caution. Some units have high draw odds for a reason. I think a lot of guys bite off more than they can chew.

If you want to kill a cow moose and you are a nonresident to Colorado your draws are quite splendid
In your first year of applying. The tag cost a lot was certainly thins out nonres cow moose hunters

Numbers are down in Maine, especially lately due to ticks. They've managed well through the winter this year so far. Overall, it wasn't bad in terms of snowfall but now is the time the ticks will be coming out so time will tell. Definately don't see as many as we used to, though. Success rates last year were around 67%. With that said, the 'traditional' moose units (northern part of state) were still close to 80%. Saw some really nice bulls so they're still around.

As you probably know, odds for a NR in Maine aren't very good. If you stick with it, after a few years your odds do increase quite a bit as they give you extra bonus points. After 15 years you end up with 10 points/year instead of 1. If you have the money I'd say go for it and it might pay off, otherwise I think other states for Shiras have better odds.

You could also look into a guided hunt in Canada. If you do your research you can get some hunts for decent prices. Good luck!

Start saving your money for a hunt in Alaska... or better yet, take out a loan and go while you're young if you can't afford it.

You can go door to door for about $4500-5000.

Look at this way... apply for your home state if you're in a state with moose... as far as NR permits, its a pipe dream to draw a tag. You'll spend $1000's on applications/fees/points over the course of decades before you draw a tag, if you draw.

Hey thanks for all the replies. I'm in NC, so no moose here. Thought about starting in CO while I was out there but I didn't like the odds. Canada does sound like a good choice, as does AK. I'm looking into both for caribou in the future too :)

Start saving your money for a hunt in Alaska... or better yet, take out a loan and go while you're young if you can't afford it.

You can go door to door for about $4500-5000.

Look at this way... apply for your home state if you're in a state with moose... as far as NR permits, its a pipe dream to draw a tag. You'll spend $1000's on applications/fees/points over the course of decades before you draw a tag, if you draw.

Can you break down that $4500-5000, because someone else on HT tried to claim this could be done for this price before and I could not hardly get it below $8000. Airfare, tags/licenses, air taxis into and out alone would come to $4000 if memory serves me. Then you need a guide unless you know someone that is going to tell you where the moose are....More money...and you have not even eaten yet.

I live here and can go for $50. Rent a car, airfair, and licenses and you can be moose hunting for just over $1000. It's all what you make of it. I've also done 4 flout hunts that cost me about $1100 door to door. you need to do a lot more research and not be afraid to DIY or fail.

A caribou hunt will cost about the same price... you can go cheap with low odds or drop the cash and go for the remote experience and better odds.

I live here and can go for $50. Rent a car, airfair, and licenses and you can be moose hunting for just over $1000. It's all what you make of it. I've also done 4 flout hunts that cost me about $1100 door to door. you need to do a lot more research and not be afraid to DIY or fail.

So you are saying YOU can do it for $1000 because you live in AK.....

So do the breakdown for the 5000 deal from NC...

airfare - $1000
tag/license - $500
air taxis - 500-1000? or more?
guide? IF you need one, which 90% of us would need. tip for the guide...2-5 grand?
How much to get the meat home? 500-1000?
food for 14 days? I get it, you would eat at home, but not the same food, it's still a cost.

Could you do it for $4500-5000, I guess in the end you are right, but damn, that's a lot of cash to not be afraid to DIY or fail in my book. That is why I said $8000, I would use a guide of some sort.

I m going for a alaska /yukon Sept 2016. Consider that. Self guided, drop camp $5500 some are less. Float trips are good too. Lower $$ & can diy.
All considered i'ld love to do a Shiras hunt in Mt. Or Id. Good luck on your draws, I will go for ID when I go for shiras.

Guided moose hunts start at $12k And go up to $20k. That'd cover the hunt only, most still require a bush flight, airfare, tags etc

Yes I can do a fly out for $1000-1500...+\- add in your tag, airfair and you get close to your cost.

you have to be creative, but it's only as hard as you want to make it.

Also something to consider, get an Alaska Airlines CC. Th ey give you 25000 miles, so airfair is covered.

You don't need special gear to hunt moose and food isn't any more expensive than any other hunt.

A moose is 500 lbs of boned put meat. You can always donate it like all the cheap NRs do because it's too expensive to bring home... the horns will cost you to ship, but you could leave those as well. ;)

I have 6 hunts planned this year. Moose, sheep x2, goat, and 3 caribou. My total buget is about $2000. Airfair and gas money.

Last edited:
The Idaho moose odds are best understood if go to Idaho F&G and add up all the non-resident moose tags awarded in the most recent year then divide by the number of applicants for the non-resident moose hunts. This will give you overall odds will draw a tag, on average. If you apply for a unit that gets less applicants (perhaps harvest rate is lower, more remote territory, smaller bulls, etc) then your odds will be a bit better than average. If you instead opt for a blue ribbon unit then odds should be a bit worse than average.

You might see a unit had NR odds of 1 in 8 for a moose tag for the tag awarded. Because Idaho does not specifically set aside NR tags the result is while that unit had 1:8 odds last year for NR it may have not awarded a tag (luck of the draw which units get a NR tag) for many, many years so odds were 0 for a decade then in one year was 1 in 8. Applicant beware.

Heres my Ak hunt price breakdown
Free roundtrip from Philly-Fairbanks thru Alaska Airlines miles
$1800- for bush plane flight and one meat load
$500 for roundtrip flight from Fairbanks to small town to meet bush pilot
$500- moose tag/ak license
$200 food
$300 half of raft rental
$400 for meat haul back to lower 48
$200 hotel/BB overnights
There you go.Thats the entire costs on my trip along with maybe $150 for extra baggage with airline.You don't need a guide for moose just a GOOD spot to hang out and wait for them to show up

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back