Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

I think I will never call myself a "shed hunter" in public

As someone that really likes to shed hunt and wishes they had more time I fully don’t get why people support some of the Instagramers making a living on it. Why in the world would I want to buy your merch or use your promo code with a sponsor so you can spend more time making a living doing something I do for fun?

Why do people care if someone enjoys a WMA opener? If it’s not for you then don’t go. It’s May 15th...most animals have moved off the winter range by then and this isn’t harming the wildlife. If someone wants to race to some sheds then so be it. A lot of the people that go to these enjoy the social aspect of it and like to see if anything exciting gets found. I’ve never been to it but I definitely don’t care if 10,000 people want to do it. They should regulate how early people park vehicles at the gate but other than that let it be.

Why do people care if someone enjoys a WMA opener? If it’s not for you then don’t go. It’s May 15th...most animals have moved off the winter range by then and this isn’t harming the wildlife. If someone wants to race to some sheds then so be it. A lot of the people that go to these enjoy the social aspect of it and like to see if anything exciting gets found. I’ve never been to it but I definitely don’t care if 10,000 people want to do it. They should regulate how early people park vehicles at the gate but other than that let it be.

Sun River. That gate is just down the road from my place. Vehicles start getting parked in March. One got stolen this year before the opener. I heard 60 horses present when the gate opened.
I have no problem with it. It brings business to our town. The first real event of the season. Guests rent our cabin each year. A lot of folks just come out to watch.
It is a rodeo. I prefer the one that takes place the last Sunday in June here so I’ve never taken the time to drive out there.
A bunch of grizzlies around town this year. I thought I would hear of an encounter but didn’t.
I also heard F&W was starting to put trackers in some of the sheds before the opener recently. That would be sweet.

Last edited:
There are a few news stories on YouTube about it going back many years, nothing new except maybe how many people the stories reach.
Not my idea of a good time but meh the bears gotta eat too.

I would think a couple of cast sheds set in concrete on the hillside would create a little tv drama.

There are a few news stories on YouTube about it going back many years, nothing new except maybe how many people the stories reach.

I would think a couple of cast sheds set in concrete on the hillside would create a little tv drama.
There is a guy on YouTube who has a few videos of him chaining an elk shed to the ground next to a road and hiding in the bushes. Hilarious watching people try to pick it up and then realize it's a joke. And amazing how many people drive right by it.

How long will it be until some little kid gets trampled by a horse or run over by a pickup in the mad dash opening? I like looking for sheds but good grief I can't believe this is people's idea of fun. Almost as silly as those Black Friday shoppers...

A new take on gluing a quarter to the ground?

The Sun River WMA opener has been going on for a long, long time, nothing new here. It's a tradition for alot of folks even if it is a circus. I would like to see it regulated at some point, it keeps getting bigger and bigger at the more well known wintering ranges here in MT.

Wardens have been putting chips in some of the antlers for quite some time, but it's only gets one or two poachers, doesn't even scratch the surface of the guys who go into the spots early and poach sheds before the law abiding folks race in on their horses...

While we’re one the subject remember when that shed hunting “influencer” went to Idaho and shot some guys German Shepards then tagged them and posted pics about killing “two wolves” 🤦‍♂️.
gawd I miss how much I laughed at that.

How long will it be until some little kid gets trampled by a horse or run over by a pickup in the mad dash opening? I like looking for sheds but good grief I can't believe this is people's idea of fun. Almost as silly as those Black Friday shoppers...
Horses have to use a different gate than vehicles. Also think there is a separate gate those on foot use as well.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back