Caribou Gear

I pray for the Restaurant Owners & Employees.

TheGrayRider

I have never invested in a restaurant and after 2020, I never will. With all of the constant negative news of the mandatory government shutdowns, I pray for the mental and physical well-being of the restaurant owners and workers out there.

Hard enough for them to turn a profit without state & local governments randomly shutting them down.

I don’t know how they stay afloat. Thoughts and prayers...

An article ran in the local paper about restaurants hurting. Used that as a justification to once again cave on my diet and eat a whole bunch of chicken wings. My sister will hopefully get her food truck back online soon.

Good observation. My sister in law owns and operates a restaurant in Washington. They have huge overhead like most.
BUT...it is a business with challenges in general...the risk one takes.
There are many individuals struggling with their occupations currently.
My wife is a teacher in a district that will not consider virtual unless they run out of substitute teachers. So for the time being the cross hairs are on her (and my school age daughter) EVERY day. I consider this circumstance to be far more unerving.

My wife works at the restaraunt in town the owner is staying open against the mandate say if he closes up again he will be under. So hes going to pay whatever the fine is in order to stay a float. Sad what they are going through.
Tough and frustrating times for sure.

I was at a restaurant in Billings tonight with 2 other people in the whole place at 6 pm. Saw 1 pick up order in the hour we were there. The fast food chain joint across the parking lot had cars lined up around the block. I left the waiter a 40% tip.

My 18 y/o has worked at a local place since graduation. She has done pretty good for herself through all this. Saved her money, got her own place, got her first new truck, hard working kid. Place normally has 3-4 managers with 15-20 staff, They are saying this go around they will only be open 8 hours with 1 manager and 1-2 cook, 2-4 waiters.

Pretty frustrating when you look at the parking lot of a Costco, Walmart, target, Home Depot,etc..

Cant imagine the folks who gotta feed their families with that income

Not just the restaurants either.

Whatever, follow the “science”

Last edited:
I have never invested in a restaurant and after 2020, I never will. With all of the constant negative news of the mandatory government shutdowns, I pray for the mental and physical well-being of the restaurant owners and workers out there.

Hard enough for them to turn a profit without state & local governments randomly shutting them down.

I don’t know how they stay afloat. Thoughts and prayers...
Owners are starting to get pissed and I don’t blame them. How is justifiable to shut them down when there are other businesses open and chock full of people? Really unfair.

My wife and I rarely eat out, but we did visit a local place recently. They were really bending over backwards to meet the expectations of others and keep their staff safe in respect to distancing, masking, etc., some of which isn’t even required in IA. I wonder how long 50% capacity can keep them afloat though. We left a generous tip, but still felt like a pretty inadequate contribution.

I went to the local hardware store a few weeks ago to buy a couple strings of Christmas lights. When I was checking out the owner handed me a gift card to a local restaurant. I talked to an employee and he said the hardware store had its best year ever, so the owner went to a few local restaurants and bought $6,000 worth of gift cards to hand out at his store.

In the scheme of things it’s not a lot, but it sure was nice to see a gesture like that during these times.

Last edited:
I definitely haven't saved money through this all because I have eaten my share of to go orders. Easy when you leave your house at 7am and don't get back until 7pm and what are you going to cook. But it also my way of supporting restaurants. I know one local Thai place is takeout only. They're screaming busy every time I walk in. Thats good to see.

I went to the local hardware store a few weeks ago to buy a couple strings of Christmas lights. When I was checking out the owner handed me a gift card to a local restaurant. I talked to an employee and he said the hardware store had its best year ever, so the owner went to a the local restaurants and bought $6,000 worth of gift cards to hand out at his store.

In the scheme of things it’s not a lot, but it sure was nice to see a gesture like that during these times.
That's great.

An article ran in the local paper about restaurants hurting. Used that as a justification to once again cave on my diet and eat a whole bunch of chicken wings. My sister will hopefully get her food truck back online soon.
That's taking one for the team! Get two orders of chicken wings.

I agree with the unfairness of the situation. I would like to remind folks that MANY of the franchises in your town are owned by local businessmen and businesswomen. They chose to enter the industry in a different manner but if they are like me, they give plenty back to the local community who supports them.

It’s ironic to me how some people shop at WalMart but then bash a food franchise for not being “local”.

Owners are starting to get pissed and I don’t blame them. How is justifiable to shut them down when there are other businesses open and chock full of people? Really unfair.
I have yet to hear a story about anyone getting turned away from a restaurant because it had reached capacity. Fair or unfair, I don’t think the local government rules are their core problem. As was pointed out, some are adapting nicely and doing quite well. It is just a different environment.

Back