Being an ambassador for the sport, how should one counter anti-hunting sentiments?

TomTeriffic

I once knew a man who claimed that "hunting was wrong" but that slaughtering domestic animals for meat was a "whole different thing". I then disengaged from the conversation not wanting to argue. If I were clever, I might have stated that wild game is much better for human health than most store-bought meats in defense of hunting.

Another common remark is, "Why would you eat something you kill?"

Some folks don't think deer should be shot because they are "cute". My mother felt that deer were "cute" and deer hunters were "evil" but she cursed these deer when they came into her yard and ate her plants. I once told my mother that hunting deer keeps their numbers in check. My mother thought that game wardens or government officials should then control deer with guns. Yes, leave it to the good old government to "keep house" outdoors. If even a law-abiding private citizen with a gun does something productive, it is "evil", but if "the taxpayer-funded authorities with guns" do something productive, it is "good".

My grandfather, who hunted deer at one time, once remarked that cougars were cowardly and he said the same about men who hunted them. Another man I knew hunted deer, but thought cougars were beautiful animals and that shooting them would be a "waste"

My mother didn't think pheasants should be shot because they are "gorgeous birds".

Apparently, many northeastern states don't have dove seasons because some some old Audubon Society women sipping tea consider them "song birds".

Much anti-hunting attitudes seem to come from blue regions on maps, urban folk and mothers who drive mommy vans.

So, my question is how do YOU deal with negative words heard regarding hunting?

The only negative thing I have to say about the young man in the video above is the lack of grooming. Beard hairs and big ugly tatts around this fellow's neck and on his hands. Young people do this crap to rebel against their elders. Trashy appearance won't make hunters seem so gentlemanly. It won't win sportsmen any brownie points for people of positive public image. Whenever motorcycle riders look trashy, they are denounced as bikers and gangsters.

Last edited:
i have yet to meet someone in real life that was actually anti hunting.
There may be some people who FROWN upon this sport but don't take active measures against hunting. Do you consider anti-hunters only anti-hunting activists? I met a young fellow in the Army who asked me why I would want to "kill animals" when hunting was brought up in conversation. There are those who merely express disapproval and those who actually take action against something.

There may be some people who FROWN upon this sport but don't take active measures against hunting. Do you consider anti-hunters only anti-hunting activists? I met a young fellow in the Army who asked me why I would want to "kill animals" when hunting was brought up in conversation. There are those who merely express disapproval and those who actually take action against something.

i consider an anti-hunter someone who by votes or other action is working to curtail, if not outright end, hunting as an activity.

i haven't had any conversations, or even met, a person with who is adamantly against and would wish to see hunting end.

i've encountered a handful of people - and actually have a lot of friends - that feel it's not for them, don't fully understand it, would't want to kill something themselves, but really don't care about whether or not people do it. i feed them wild game all the time.

honestly, when it comes to being an ambassador you gotta be a lot like Rinella. being a bit of a hippie about your food and knowing how to cook it and showing that to people unfamiliar with it really puts hunting in a good light as well. make it about your love affair with public land and wild places.

post less shitty pictures on facebook and instagram... actually that's rule #1. we could really make that the whole conversation, i.e. get the #*^@#* off instagram with your hunting.

looking at you muleyfreak and petey panda

I once knew a man who claimed that "hunting was wrong" but that slaughtering domestic animals for meat was a "whole different thing". I then disengaged from the conversation not wanting to argue. If I were clever, I might have stated that wild game is much better for human health than most store-bought meats in defense of hunting.

Another common remark is, "Why would you eat something you kill?"

Some folks don't think deer should be shot because they are "cute". My mother felt that deer were "cute" and deer hunters were "evil" but she cursed these deer when they came into her yard and ate her plants. I once told my mother that hunting deer keeps their numbers in check. My mother thought that game wardens or government officials should then control deer with guns. Yes, leave it to the good old government to "keep house" outdoors. If even a law-abiding private citizen with a gun does something productive, it is "evil", but if "the taxpayer-funded authorities with guns" do something productive, it is "good".

My grandfather, who hunted deer at one time, once remarked that cougars were cowardly and he said the same about men who hunted them. Another man I knew hunted deer, but thought cougars were beautiful animals and that shooting them would be a "waste"

My mother didn't think pheasants should be shot because they are "gorgeous birds".

Apparently, many northeastern states don't have dove seasons because some some old Audubon Society women sipping tea consider them "song birds".

Much anti-hunting attitudes seem to come from blue regions on maps, urban folk and mothers who drive mommy vans.

So, my question is how do YOU deal with negative words heard regarding hunting?

The only negative thing I have to say about the young man in the video above is the lack of grooming. Beard hairs and big ugly tatts around this fellow's neck and on his hands. Young people do this crap to rebel against their elders. Trashy appearance won't make hunters seem so gentlemanly. It won't win sportsmen any brownie points for people of positive public image. Whenever motorcycle riders look trashy, they are denounced as bikers and gangsters.
I've had far better success with facing diversity with compassion and respect. It's tough to do sometimes, but allowing them to have a voice and say what they need to say first. Then explain yourself in a calm manner the necessity of hunting.
One of the many points I make is that a human taking an animal's life is far less painful for the animal than a predator taking the animal's life.
There's a huge list of bullet points I use on why hunting is good for the enviroment and it's garnered respect from anti hunters and left others without a pedestal to stand on.
I always end it with something like "no one is saying you have to go hunt, but understand why some people do it."
A feeling of mutual ground is created leaving the anti people feeling like they've either did their good deed or coming out a higher being for choosing the righteous path of not hunting.
The problem is diverted and someone got educated along the way.

I agree that it’s mostly from blue states. My aunt was born in Idaho and grew up nearly her whole life in California. said if it shot a moose she’d never talk to me again. My grandmother, her mother, has shot countless deer and even one moose, and still, hates that I am a hunter. I mean absolutely hates it. My grandfather, a conservative, and liberal grandmothers husband, sees it as the last of a dying breed, and considers it necessary, to show that there are still folks outside of California that live off the land. The lord provides. He ate my bear with me and tells alllllllll his friends. It’s a heartwarming feeling, when someone who doesn’t hunt at all, and never has, appreciates it so much. Adversely, it’s disheartening when someone that has hunted and harvested their family’s food can be brainwashed from the “it’s cute” ideology so much that they resent others that still do.

I will say, I have a conservative, born and raised in Montana buddy, that shares the same sentiment about wolves, and claims he’ll no longer be my friend if I take one.
Even my old man, who hunts (kinda) every year, asks why I would want to shoot a badger or a fox or a porcupine… Fortunately for my arguments sake, he already knows the answer…

It seems everyone has an exemption for worthy quarry. Even me! I WONT shoot another black bear. One is good for me, and when I talk about why with an anti-hunter, it has lead to a mutual respect for each other, that not every hunter wants to shoot every thing they can, every time they see one. Of course, the same goes for deer and elk or rabbits or whatever, but to individually specify an animal you could but WONT hunt again, seems to help anti hunters identify as well.

Don't bother their mind is made up.
I point out that at least wild animals have a chance. Those born and bred in captivity have none.

The only time I run into anti common sense busy bodies are when I purchase OTC murder paper from a Colorado vendor.

Last edited:
@FoodIsMemories
Not everyone from CA is anti-hunter.
I am CA born and raised. Nobody in my family hunts. I have 5 older brothers who liked to shoot guns but didn't hunt. Having access to guns and forest in my backyard I took up hunting at age 12 all by myself, also the same year I started taxidermy from a book.
So I would have to say that hunting is in my DNA.

When asked why I hunt I say that it's in my DNA and I am not a casual observer of nature but rather an active participant.

I have had the “pleasure” of interacting with several dyed in the wool anti hunter PETA types. The converations usually end abruptly upon my statement “ If you aren’t a vegetarian, I really don’t value your opinion on this” Very few of the ones I have conversed with are actually vegetarian or vegan. To me that makes them cowards. They are fine with eating meat as long as someone else is doing the killing.

And that pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter honestly. The anti-hunters are probably a lost cause. We should concentrate on the folks who are on the fence.

@FoodIsMemories
Not everyone from CA is anti-hunter.
I am CA born and raised. Nobody in my family hunts. I have 5 older brothers who liked to shoot guns but didn't hunt. Having access to guns and forest in my backyard I took up hunting at age 12 all by myself, also the same year I started taxidermy from a book.
So I would have to say that hunting is in my DNA.

When asked why I hunt I say that it's in my DNA and I am not a casual observer of nature but rather an active participant.
I don’t disagree. My old man moved me here from California too man I was more involved in street life than I was an outdoorsman. It’s FAR from in my DNA to be a hunter and yet I’m not ANTI hunter, obviously. Lol I guess the point was just that many that ARE anti hunter, are from places like California and other densely populated states. A major percentage of Americans disapprove of big game hunting.

i consider an anti-hunter someone who by votes or other action is working to curtail, if not outright end, hunting as an activity.

i haven't had any conversations, or even met, a person with who is adamantly against and would wish to see hunting end.

i've encountered a handful of people - and actually have a lot of friends - that feel it's not for them, don't fully understand it, would't want to kill something themselves, but really don't care about whether or not people do it. i feed them wild game all the time.

honestly, when it comes to being an ambassador you gotta be a lot like Rinella. being a bit of a hippie about your food and knowing how to cook it and showing that to people unfamiliar with it really puts hunting in a good light as well. make it about your love affair with public land and wild places.

post less shitty pictures on facebook and instagram... actually that's rule #1. we could really make that the whole conversation, i.e. get the #*^@#* off instagram with your hunting.

looking at you muleyfreak and petey panda
I am the same. I have never really met an anti-hunter (radar is very sensitive to batshit crazy), but have had plenty of conversations with people who don't hunt and don't like the idea. My response to them is explaining that, as a group, we have voluntarily elected to pay taxes that fund the people and resources that do a lot of the research into both game and non-game species and the environment in general. Sometimes I can make an argument about population control, and then ask if they have ever watched an animal starve to death?

The subject rarely comes up in our neck of he world. I get more confused looks from the well healed when they find out I don't sheep hunt.

Take every single kid that wants to go hunting (for future). Take every single anti who is willing to go hunting (for today).

Do us all a favor and stop trying to be an ambassador for hunting.

My mother, whom I loved completely, used to curse me for shooting "critters". We finally worked out a deal. I told her that if she could find a way to keep the meat on the BBQ without killing the critter first, I would stop hunting. The last 12 years of her life, I honestly believe, she spent trying to figure out something to make that happen.

Without insulting anyone on this forum, I believe that we have to "stop looking at the color of a mans skin and only consider the content of his character" when we want to assess his or her value as a representative of the hunting community. Many men I served with look like hoodlums and "bikers" and bums, but I would die for any of them as they would for me. Tats are just a sign of the time much like long hair was in the sixties, and sandals and madras shirts, and cut offs, and harness boots, and bell bottoms, and miniskirts, and big hairdos, and on and on and on.. Remember how your dad hated rock and roll? Coon shoutin'. The Beatles, need I go on?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back