Caribou Gear Tarp

I pray for the Restaurant Owners & Employees.

I have yet to hear a story about anyone getting turned away from a restaurant because it had reached capacity. Fair or unfair, I don’t think the local government rules are their core problem. As was pointed out, some are adapting nicely and doing quite well. It is just a different environment.
Maybe in your neck of the woods but not elsewhere. Small business owners are dying all over the country in blue states.

Well, a nice restaurant here in a very red state is closing in two weeks to cut their loses during the down season. Guess I have to decide between burgers and pizza tomorrow to support them.

A lot of the restaurants around here have made good efforts to accommodate the new rules and consumer habits. The good ones have brought up online ordering with curbside pickup, delivery options through a variety of gig apps, and outdoor dining when possible.

That said, consumer behavior has changed drastically and lots of restaurants operate on thin margins already. It is no surprise that some are struggling. Not everyone has what it takes to run one even in the best times (https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/ this is a classic story about a new restauranteur realizing the hard realities.)

We didn't eat out that much previously, but we are trying to do takeout from one of the local places about once a week now. Not much, but every bit helps.

We are making a 1 her trip this weekend to eat a restaurant in Washington we have never been to because they are staying open during mandatory shutdown so their employees have jobs through Christmas and beyond. Nobody should have a right to decide for others if they can or can’t eat at a place.

I have yet to hear a story about anyone getting turned away from a restaurant because it had reached capacity. Fair or unfair, I don’t think the local government rules are their core problem. As was pointed out, some are adapting nicely and doing quite well. It is just a different environment.
There is no dining in here so everyone is turned away. So now you've heard it I guess.

Over 100,000 restaurants have closed in the last six months. I talk to some people and they say “so and so restaurant is killing it on carrryout, they are fine”.

This business model operates on raiser thin margins for most. They are not fine and if you are one of the one spreading this message you are simply wrong.

There is going to be huge industry carnage before this is over and these are people (owners and employees) who are suffering because of nothing they did wrong.

Last edited:
You know, what seems most unfair is that the taxpayers who run businesses like restaurants pay the tax dollars to support government employees at all levels. AFAIK, none of those folks have missed paychecks. I thought we were all in this together?

Over 100,000 restaurants have closed in the last six months. I talk to some people and they say “so and so restaurant is killing it on carrryout, they are fine”.

This business operates on raiser thin margins for most. They are not fine and if you are one of the one spreading this message you are simply wrong.

There is going to be huge industry carnage before this is over and these are people (owners and employees) who are suffering because of nothing they did wrong.
Bingo! And it is not necessary for this to happen.

I think Cornell2012 made a good point. Consumer behavior has changed.

Even in places where restaurants are allowed to run at full capacity, they may be struggling because less folks are willing to go out and sit in a restaurant. Even offering deliveries and to go orders, the difference is not made up.

I have a friend who owns and runs a restaurant in a small town in Montana and the only real change handed down to his business from the state has been the mask mandate, but business is still way down.

In my area it's kind of turned in to a restaurant cull of sorts, which may not be a bad thing in some respects. So far I haven't seen any "good" restaurants close, the ones closing are the ones that were crappy and struggling to begin with. Survival of the fittest. I do live in a college town though so our restaurant scene is constantly changing.
I do think that restaurants have been somewhat unfairly targeted during this whole thing, but they also have the unfortunate aspect of being one of the few businesses where people cannot wear a mask indoors.

I think Cornell2012 made a good point. Consumer behavior has changed.

Even in places where restaurants are allowed to run at full capacity, they may be struggling because less folks are willing to go out and sit in a restaurant. Even offering deliveries and to go orders, the difference is not made up.

I have a friend who owns and runs a restaurant in a small town in Montana and the only real change handed down to his business from the state has been the mask mandate, but business is still way down.

Add to that many folks won't go into an establishment that doesn't appear to be concerned for their safety either and the unemployment issue which means a lot less disposable income to be had all around.

It's rough out there, we've been trying to support local eateries and that means ordering out 2-3 times a week, but it's getting old - burgers & pizza. We try to shop local as well and only run into town for the big stuff the local market doesn't carry.

Meanwhile, Tom Brady is taking almost $1 million in gov't loans while buying a yacht.

Add to that many folks won't go into an establishment that doesn't appear to be concerned for their safety either and the unemployment issue which means a lot less disposable income to be had all around.

It's rough out there, we've been trying to support local eateries and that means ordering out 2-3 times a week, but it's getting old - burgers & pizza. We try to shop local as well and only run into town for the big stuff the local market doesn't carry.

Meanwhile, Tom Brady is taking almost $1 million in gov't loans while buying a yacht.
^^^ This 100%
I feel a lot more comfortable going in to a place that is at least making an attempt at safety. Unfortunately, that means that 1 local gun shop has lost my business as of late.

The trend away from eating out is not new, though Covid has exacerbated it.

Do you buy extra take out now because you value having that restaurant or because you simply want to subsidize a company that employs people in your community?

It might sound harsh but I'm sticking with for former. I don't see a need to prop up business's that I didn't support before Covid. And in terms restaurants that's only a couple.

Restaurants are bad businesses in good times. High default rate are the norm. It shouldn’t be a surprise that they are failing at a high rate now due to social distancing.

The trend away from eating out is not new, though Covid has exacerbated it.

Do you buy extra take out now because you value having that restaurant or because you simply want to subsidize a company that employs people in your community?

It might sound harsh but I'm sticking with for former. I don't see a need to prop up business's that I didn't support before Covid. And in terms restaurants that's only a couple.

i hate to say it, but i'm kinda in this camp as well.

there are a lot of local restaurants around us that we never went to, some we tried and didn't like and many we had no interest in going to. simply put, we aren't gonna start going to restaurants just because of a pandemic when we had no interest in them or didn't like them in the first place.

there are a couple we've made some effort to support, local sushi, local chinese take out, my favorite breakfast burrito place. ya know the stuff we liked doing on a friday night before throwing on a movie.

the main thing that we've started doing is my wife bought a huge stack of 5 dollar mcdonalds gift cards that we hand out every time we drive up to a corner with someone holding a sign that says "please help"

The restaurant industry organization says the average life span of an independent (non-chain) restaurant is 5yrs and estimates that almost 90% close within the first year (not my numbers, theirs). It is certainly a tough business in good times. But I could argue the US is "over restaurant"-ed. If we go back to normal in six months, post vaccine, people will have no problem opening more restaurants as it seems to be fairly easy to start one. Until then I will support those I like and over tip. I encourage others to do the same, but acknowledge this can only happen for so long.

definitely

state of co has already had mandatory furloughs, i've heard layoff's aren't out of the question (though unlikely - some states balance sheets are better than others), lots of positions that were planning on being filled this year are potentially permanently closed. which turns a lot of over worked employees into more overworked employees that may want to switch jobs, especially when the cost of living increases that rarely happen will now definitely be more rare, if ever in the next 5-10 years. state work isn't all roses and unicorn farts

local government too. not that the crowd on hunt talk give a crap about Boulder, but city of boulder has laid off hundreds of employees from what i've heard. i think over 800 were put on indefinite furlough.

that's just the one i know about, i'm sure there are lots lots more

I work in collections and we are starting to see the wreckage pile up. Likely going to get worse before it gets better. Hoping things turn around soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back