Caribou Gear Tarp

I need tires, what's the recommendation?

I'm on my second set of Cooper Discoverer at3/xl on a 1500 and have loved them. Though thats not the first time I've heard what @shannerdrake mentioned. Either way, that's what's going on again when these wear out.

I'm on my second set of Cooper Discoverer at3/xl on a 1500 and have loved them. Though thats not the first time I've heard what @shannerdrake mentioned. Either way, that's what's going on again when these wear out.
My buddy has put two sets on his Tundra and they have been bullet proof.

I had them on an F-150 and the bad stories I have heard have mostly been on F-150s.

Curious, what truck did you put yours on? They sell a lot of them and most reviews are great so I think I’m the exception.

My buddy has put two sets on his Tundra and they have been bullet proof.

I had them on an F-150 and the bad stories I have heard have mostly been on F-150s.

Curious, what truck did you put yours on? They sell a lot of them and most reviews are great so I think I’m the exception.
A 2013 Silverado 1500. I first got them during the bigfin "what tires should go on the Nissan" thread about 5 or so years ago.

I have been very happy with General Grabber ATXs. Very similar tread pattern to the KO2s and at the time I got them, they were about $50 less per tire compared to the KO2s.
I had a set of these. They are a really good highway/gravel/snow tire. They absolutely suck in mud and are marginal in deep snow when you’re nearing the point of putting in chains but still gotta send it.

Cooper Discover AT maxx, E rated.
I made it to the hwy and back today, that is a feat in itself. The 5 hr drive in downpours on pavement was a breeze.

KO2, not as loud as the TOYO Open Country on the previous 2500HD. Just put a new set on the AT4 1500. Take offs are also KO2 with less than 20k mi. Plenty of tread left. 285/60 R20. Gave to our son to use or sell.

Last edited:
I just got my second set of Toyo AT3's. They've been a pretty good all around tire for me. I had 2 sets of Kelly Safari TSR prior to that and while I liked those too I "think" the toyos kept doing better on snow/ice after a few years of wear than the Kelly's. They're also quieter.

I've got 40k miles on a set of Hankook AT-M's on my Tundra that I'm happy with

For me I have had great luck with the Toyo Open country. I have used them on my 10K pound diesel truck, 4 Runner and I just put a set on hyaundi Kona. For me they have performed better than the BFG AT, lasted longer, balanced better and wore more evenly. I rotate every 5K at a minimum. It really is a personal preference and everyone's experiences are different. I may have just gotten a lemon set or 2 of of the BFG years back and kind of wrote them off. Others running the falcon have told me that the winter performance is great and just as good as the BFG and Toyo.

I have A3/4S on my F150 and they have been stellar in heavy snow, ice, gravel and pavement. Haven’t had much in bad mud.

I have been very happy with General Grabber ATXs. Very similar tread pattern to the KO2s and at the time I got them, they were about $50 less per tire compared to the KO2s.

I will not buy a General tire. I'm still suffering from PTSD after an experience with them 40 yrs ago. (slight exaggeration, but they are a nonstarter). :)

I have KO2s on mine right now and haven’t really liked anything else as well as these. I had nitto ridge grapplers before these (look great, wore even, not good off-road) and have run the AT3s and a set of Toyos on my last truck. Spend the money

I have KO2s on mine right now and haven’t really liked anything else as well as these. I had nitto ridge grapplers before these (look great, wore even, not good off-road) and have run the AT3s and a set of Toyos on my last truck. Spend the money
I currently have those ridge grapplers and can't stand them. They probably have 30k miles left on them and I'm already shopping for a replacement

Back