I need tires, what's the recommendation?

I currently have those ridge grapplers and can't stand them. They probably have 30k miles left on them and I'm already shopping for a replacement
I got 55k out of mine and they were all worn even but that’s the only plus. They’re still one of the most popular tires available (must be those pavement princess trucks)

For me I have had great luck with the Toyo Open country. I have used them on my 10K pound diesel truck, 4 Runner and I just put a set on hyaundi Kona. For me they have performed better than the BFG AT, lasted longer, balanced better and wore more evenly. I rotate every 5K at a minimum. It really is a personal preference and everyone's experiences are different. I may have just gotten a lemon set or 2 of of the BFG years back and kind of wrote them off. Others running the falcon have told me that the winter performance is great and just as good as the BFG and Toyo.
Same here. You pay a premium for Toyo, but they last a long long time. Currently, I have the Open Country C/T's on my truck and have put them through some major abuse and have been super impressed with their durability. I had them siped when they were put on and they do pretty well in snow and ice.

I had a set of these. They are a really good highway/gravel/snow tire. They absolutely suck in mud and are marginal in deep snow when you’re nearing the point of putting in chains but still gotta send it.
Hmmm interesting comment…there is probably an AT tire that is better than them in mud but I definitely wouldn’t say they suck. At least not in my personal experience. I wouldn’t ask them to do what a MT tire would do, but I’ve definitely had much worse experiences with other brands of AT tires in mud.

Doesn’t sound like it matters though for the OP…he’s already made it clear he doesn’t want General.

I don't think you'd get bad performance from any of the tires mentioned.
It's just gonna depend on what's available in your area and how much you're willing to pay.
I went with Cooper A/T's because they were pretty budget and they are made in the USA.

Put me in the camp of (within reason) not caring how many miles I get out of them. I went cheaper for Dynapro AT2's and slightly regret it. They are fine. My next tires will be my third set of Wildpeak's or the Duratrac, price be damned.

I have been eyeballing the Cooper ATP/AT3. Solid reviews on both, solid performance from the ATP's I've had previously.

What does your local pick a part/salvage yard have? There are deals to be had with the current inflation.
@BrentD Not sure why you thought this was funny. Last time I was in my local place they had a almost new set of 4 coopers for less than half the price of new. They always seem to have something and I wouldn’t hesitate if they have a warranty. If saving money is funny to you then enjoy paying retail.

I had Cooper AT3s on my diesel F250 and got 45000 miles out of them. Just put new Firestone Destination XTs on it because I wanted a little more aggressive tread for winter driving

Go with KO2's again. I put them on my suburban and love them. I have been running Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac on my Dodge 3500, but am not happy with the wear of them so I will be switching to the KO2's as soon as I wear out the Goodyears. I have 2 75% ish good tires due to road hazard issues, so I will have to make a decision when the other 2 wear out, but definitely going KO2's. Load Range E of course.

For my last set I had the Cooper AT3/4S. Had two quick flats (which were probably just bad luck), but also felt like the wore pretty quickly. Currently pretty happy with the KO2s.

@BrentD Not sure why you thought this was funny. Last time I was in my local place they had a almost new set of 4 coopers for less than half the price of new. They always seem to have something and I wouldn’t hesitate if they have a warranty. If saving money is funny to you then enjoy paying retail.
Honestly, I thought you were joking. I've never seen tires of value for sale at a scrap yard. Perhaps I should look harder.

My way of buying tires for my 4 WD's is pretty simple really. I go to Les Schwab and get load range C tires in a size that origionally came on my vehicles or close as I can get. Like those all season type tires. Don't get highway or off road type. I find it amazing how much people are willing to pay for tires. Years ago I got only Les Schwab re-caps. Last set I took off my old chevy had 80,000 miles on them and still a bit of tread. Used to deliver RV trailers for a living with a 2000 Dodge w/cummins diesel. Took a set of load range D Les Schwab tires off ot it with 105,000 miles on them and a guy gave me $50 each for them. You want speciality tires, be prepared to pay the piper and get less mileage out of them!

These days I run my summer tires from Nov to April them switch them out for my stud tire's. Get new summer tires about every third year and new winter tires about every four years. next new summer tires will aalso get a new set of rims and have the winter tires permently mounted on the factory rims so can simply change them out at home at no cost!

Strange. Before I moved in here, 33yrs now, and started getting tire's from Les Schwab I always got my tires from wreacking yards. Lot less expensive and look a bit and you can normally find a near new set of tire's off a wreak!

We recently put new E rated Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus on the cruiser. Not as aggressive as some mentioned here, but they are really supposed to be good in snow/ice.

Made in Finland. High quality.

In the size we were shopping, they were crazy cheap.

Strange. Before I moved in here, 33yrs now, and started getting tire's from Les Schwab I always got my tires from wreacking yards. Lot less expensive and look a bit and you can normally find a near new set of tire's off a wreak!
There are definitely different levels of wrecking yards. The higher end that deals with modern cars and trucks have decent selections. Car-part.com is a good place to see recent inventory of local yards based on zip. With a hand full of phone calls you can save quite a bit off new.

Worst case is they say no and your back to the tire shop.

We recently put new E rated Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus on the cruiser. Not as aggressive as some mentioned here, but they are really supposed to be good in snow/ice.

Made in Finland. High quality.

In the size we were shopping, they were crazy cheap.
I was looking at the Nokian Outpost AT as a cheaper option to the toyo. The tire shop I called wasn't able to find the size I wanted in stock. Up until recently 80% of their production was also in Russia and I didn't want russian tires. Supposedly they're opening a plant in TN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back