I need better steel

mtmuley

I had a chance to test out my steel targets today sort of. Used some scrap steel from a project at work. Shot this one at 657 yards with my .300 RUM and a 200 grain Accubond. The plate is 1/2 inch thick. Only test I did as I used my biggest gun for the research. Might work for my .22's and 6mm's. Possibly the .270 and .06. Gonna do more shooting, today I was in a hurry. What kind of steel do you guys use? I have heard AR500 is the way to go. mtmuley

Attachments

• 20150620_111730.jpg
    20150620_111730.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 868
  • 20150620_154645.jpg
    20150620_154645.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 865
You have a couple of options ar plate or T1 or if you know someone who works around heavy equipment get a used corner bit from a dozer or loader etc. most used ones will be at least 3/4 of an inch.

Ar500 is best. Not only is it tough it has a nice audible ring instead of the thwack of mild steel.

Buddy up to the fire marshall in your town. If they have a burn tower the steel plates will be ar500, always some broke off that can be repurposed.

AR500 is the way to go, buy once - cry once. I've used old disk blades, mild steel and every other thing I found around the farm. Some old scrap from a grader blade held up well, but as much as my sons shoot I finally got AR500 and now the targets hold up and last. I've bought from eBay, local steel shops and a Youth Ranch nearby that does steel targets as work for the young men and fund raising.

I was going to put a few more rounds into it, but just had it propped up and the first shot knocked it over. As soon as I saw it I knew shooting it more was a waste of ammo. I know a guy with a welding shop. Gonna see if he has some AR500 or will get me some. Thanks guys. mtmuley

Cast iron flywheel from a junkyard. They will probably even weld on a tab to hang it from for a few dollars.

ebay sells 1/2" 12"x12" ar500 steel for $42ish: Georgiasteel or something. it takes everything and doesnt even dent or scar. i also use a 200 accubond that leaves my weatherby barral at 3175 and while it makes a hell of dong when it hits but no damage other than to surface paint. as funny as it sounds the faster small calibers (243/22-250 etc) seen to do more damage on the softer steel targets than the larger caliber impacts, that 1/2" AR500 takes it all!!!

C

.300 Bee and a 200 grain Accubond at 3175 fps? Ragged edge if that is indeed what you are getting. I'd be careful. mtmuley

AR is good steel for targets, but it's not totally impervious to abuse. 338 lapua at 300meters will put the hurt on it.. Remember to cover any welds as they will come apart if hit..

My neighbor is the head dude for the municipalities of a small town. Tonite he brought me a manhole cover. Gonna try to test it tomorrow afternoon starting way out there (950 is the furthest I can go) with the RUM. mtmuley

TJones wants to know what type of pill rig you're running for trans zip code sniping.;)

AR500 hung so that is swings holds up to everything for me. Steel has been shot with everything between and including 243 to 300 RUM including accubonds and partitions from 500 yards and 1000 yards. One hint is to use the orange marking paint to paint the whole target and use white for the bullseye. This make hits standout the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back