I joined the 6.5 club today…

TN2shot07

Well I have wanted a Model 70 for years (a 270 for obvious reasons and hopefully I’ll come across one of those, too). A friend that I buy and trade with occasionally found a lever action he had to have and asked if I’d be interested in taking this off his hands. I know there is no practical reason to have a Swede over a creedmore or prc but damn those rifles just look right! I’m hoping to get out and see how she shoots this weekend, he assured me it’s a good one!

Attachments

• 58B80FE4-1832-4690-B042-C1B7597D9BC8.jpeg
    58B80FE4-1832-4690-B042-C1B7597D9BC8.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 93
  • 2CAA64D3-E62B-4DCD-AFE2-04DD68E5F32F.jpeg
    2CAA64D3-E62B-4DCD-AFE2-04DD68E5F32F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 91
  • 3E7105B4-BD57-4C31-9163-73E205EE56E7.jpeg
    3E7105B4-BD57-4C31-9163-73E205EE56E7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
Well I have wanted a Model 70 for years (a 270 for obvious reasons and hopefully I’ll come across one of those, too). A friend that I buy and trade with occasionally found a lever action he had to have and asked if I’d be interested in taking this off his hands. I know there is no practical reason to have a Swede over a creedmore or prc but damn those rifles just look right! I’m hoping to get out and see how she shoots this weekend, he assured me it’s a good one!
If you ever want to sell it let me know please! I’ll take it!

Are you a reloader? I began a post about the "Swede" not that long ago. I have that same rifle in stainless. Sometimes I miss the look of blue and walnut.
In your modern Winchester you can really take that caliber to the "Prom" in terms of performance.

I strongly suggest Lapua brass.

Are you a reloader? I began a post about the "Swede" not that long ago. I have that same rifle in stainless. Sometimes I miss the look of blue and walnut.
In your modern Winchester you can really take that caliber to the "Prom" in terms of performance.

I strongly suggest Lapua brass.
I read through that thread when I was debating this purchase. I’m not a reloader but the friend I bought it from is. He has dies for this one already and told me he’d be happy to help me work out a load as long as I can get the components.

I would’ve gladly taken one in stainless, little less field maintenance!

I read through that thread when I was debating this purchase. I’m not a reloader but the friend I bought it from is. He has dies for this one already and told me he’d be happy to help me work out a load as long as I can get the components.

I would’ve gladly taken one in stainless, little less field maintenance!
Feel free to PM me. I have about ten years of experience loading the Swede in Winchester model 70.

I thought pretty hard on this exact same rifle a few years ago. I wish the featherweight was more of, well a featherweight. Went with a Kimber Hunter instead.

Nice rifle.

I thought pretty hard on this exact same rifle a few years ago. I wish the featherweight was more of, well a featherweight. Went with a Kimber Hunter instead.

Nice rifle.
No denying that, rifle weights had a different standard when those were introduced as “light”

Nice rifle.
The Winchester model 70 featherweight was a "featherweight" for it's time. That time has past, unless I pick up my standard weight model 70 in 270. ( 7 3/4 pounds)

I have the Kimber Hunter in 280AI (5.75 pounds), I miss the bottom metal and trigger guard, kinda raygun-ish being all synthetic, and not only does it make my 6.6x55 model 70 Featherweight (6.75 pounds) seem heavy, but it even makes my Sako Finnlight (6 1/4 pounds) seem heavy also.

The trend continues and there is no turning back.

A few years ago I replaced my old heavy Kabar hunting knife with a Mora 2000 knife. Also bought hiking boots that were like dance slippers compared to my old Norwegian welt hard soled Italian hiking shoes.

Of course, if I had to traverse a steep sided mountain covered with frozen crust snow I could never "knife edge" or "toe stab" across with them as I could with my old heavy boots.

My Model 70 Swede is a joy to shoot. Recoil is in the 12 pound range. A Swede loaded to modern performance levels is the lowest power I accept with full confidence as an "all around" caliber. It pleases me no end that it was an Olympic gold model winner in times gone by, was used by Scandanavian explorers of the Arctic for polar bear defense.

That the Finnish hunters who turned soldier/snipers used it to spread terror into Russian invaders into their homeland, is so much the greater merit.

As far as the Model 70 goes; on the barrel is says "Made in New Haven Ct. USA" and that means a lot to me,,,makes it feel lighter. The scope I now have on it is a mint condition vintage Redfield 2-7 variable, with the widefield front lens. It was made in Denver, Colorado. It is just such a cool rig and I love sliding that slim shnabel forend into a saddle scabbard.

Last thought,,,when I get a bit superstitious and want to ask the universe for some good luck, I can still "knock on its wooden stock"

I like that a lot too. Wood was once alive. Throw in Lapua Brass and modern Barnes bullets and the whole rig ready for the modern world and more than earned that one extra pound over the Kimber

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back