Caribou Gear

huntinggpsmaps.com VS free sites

MThuntr

Hey guys, I'm gonna to update my hunting strategies by converting from ownership maps to a new GPS with better map capabilities. I see huntinggpsmaps.com is generally recommended by many but most of Montana's map layers (topo, ownership, etc) are available for free with some searching.

I'm guessing the sources are the same however is huntinggpsmaps more accurate than that available from Montana's GIS site?

Dont know the specific answer to your question...but, I do know that the huntinggpsmaps are very accurate.

Been using them for about 2 months at work and for hunting. For ease of use and accuracy I doubt you could go wrong.

I'm sure you could scrounge most of the info, but there are some things like hunting unit boundaries, etc. available on the huntinggpsmaps that I'm not sure you could find. Maybe...I admit to being lazy and for $100 I'm not going to waste the time trying to find other free sources.

Good luck.

I switched from downloading maps to the chips from gps hunting maps. It's so much easier when you switch states. Also great customer service.

I think most of the stuff can be found on-line, but I prefer the convenience of just popping in a chip and being done with it.

If some of the data/info changes do you have to buy a new chip or will they load the new information on your old chip?

They update the chip for a few bucks. Rumor has it they don't have a chip for Indiana yet.:D

Thanks for the info! Wouldn't be too hard to get all the public land in Indiana mapped as there's not a whole lot. If/when I get a new gps I would like to do so though as I just bought some land near to quite a bit of federal land (uses & army Corp).

Georgia maps

:
Hey guys, I'm gonna to update my hunting strategies by converting from ownership maps to a new GPS with better map capabilities. I see huntinggpsmaps.com is generally recommended by many but most of Montana's map layers (topo, ownership, etc) are available for free with some searching.

I'm guessing the sources are the same however is huntinggpsmaps more accurate than that available from Montana's GIS site?

I am looking for a good resourse for printed maps in Georgia. does anybody have a good resourse they use that can help me?:D

For those who do not see their ad at the footer of the page, here is the link. Think this lands on the MT page, but it gets you to the site.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/montana/montanalandwownersnameswithtopo.html

Agree with all the others. The convenience of having the chips to just insert and start hunting, is priceless. I almost had a panic attack in AZ. I thought I left my map chip at home. Calm returned when I remembered I had actually put it in the GPS unit before I left.

Looks like they now charge for download updates as well (IIRC it used to be free that way) so the chips seem to be the way to go

Another option: I had them e mail the map to me. This way I could study the land on the computer before the trip (plus it was a larger, easier to see, version. I then downloaded the map to a chip and use it in my gps.

good luck to all
the dog

I am looking to upgrade my GPS. I have been looking at getting a eTrex 30. It has an MSRP of $299. I know that a lot of people use the Oregon 450, but, it has a MSRP $399. I am thinking of getting an eTrex and the map for the same price as the Oregon. The other thing I like is that the eTrex 30 has a longer battery life.

Any thoughts?

I just updated to the Oregon 450 got the unit from wally world off thier website you get store to store shipping free so no cost there if you just go to wally world and pick it up when it arrives. I also got the $50 rebate so I have about 325 in it. I also just purchased huntingGPSmaps and I really love those. I went with the download so I can also scout areas on my PC with google earth and make customized maps with both programs.... Its awesome so far.

I run the 450 and picked up the chip for my Wyoming hunt. That little device is worth it weight in gold down there. I love it. I used the higher quality lithium batteries and they lasted all week, and I had the gps on almost all day and constantly lookat at it and marking waypoints. I like the fact that I can order the chip, place it in the back and immediately go hunting. Just ordered the chip for wA last night.

I am looking to upgrade my GPS. I have been looking at getting a eTrex 30. It has an MSRP of $299. I know that a lot of people use the Oregon 450, but, it has a MSRP $399. I am thinking of getting an eTrex and the map for the same price as the Oregon. The other thing I like is that the eTrex 30 has a longer battery life.

Any thoughts?

I found the GARMIN 530 HCX in refurbished condition (comes with the new warranty) for $298 at PCNATION.COM I bought our OYOA sponsor Huntinggpsmaps and initially purchased the chip.

I returned the chip after hearing it would not load onto my computer and purchased the download portion. This cost $129 vs the $99 for the chip - though the functions available! Big screen to set up locations, etc... then download it to the GPS. WORKS FANTASTIC!

I placed the garmin basecamp and the huntgpsmaps on my main computers and my laptop that I take with me and pull out at camp if I need to review a new area w/o staring at the GPS sized screen.

Food for thought though the $129 for the download I found WELL WORTH IT over the chip.

From what I read on their website, huntingGPSmaps, the downloads don't work to a Mac. Is this correct or did I misunderstand it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pam Fetzner
Back