MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunting With My Less Accurate Rifles

Hunting With My Less Accurate Rifles

This fall will be my 59th hunting season. I think. Maybe it will be my 60th or even my 58th. Hard to tell. I grew up on my families dairy farm where I had a year round dep permit to hunt deer. When the meat got low, I went out and shot a deer.

Life was that simple.

My best memory is that I have had 55 center fire rifles. Maybe 56 or maybe 54. Hard to be accurate getting into my mid 70’s. Looking back, a few stand proud and strong above most others.

One, a beautiful Safari Grade Belgium Browning bolt action 30-06,,,,with a French walnut stock and it’s pencil thin barrel, it was about as stable as I was after drinking too many beers and riding a 65 BSA Lightning Rocket Motorcycle. I took my desert ram with it,,,,at 125 yards. I have owned it for 49 years.

Another, is a custom 35 Whelen made on a FN Belgium Mauser action. It was the last rifle a life long friend made for me. He was a master gunsmith,,,,learned his trade on the GI bill after coming back from the Korean War,,,, limping badly,,,but with a Silver Star. With it’s 4x fixed scope,,,with that clumsy looking huge fat vertical post reticle ,,,so easy to see in dim light, it was,,,still is a thunder-stick that drops elk and deer in their tracks when I surprise them in the thick dark timber.

Yet another is heavy standard weight pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .270. As all American as Mom, apple pie, and rolling around with Peggy Sue in the back of a 57 Chevy. Boy was the 283 a great engine. This .270 was once my grassland/antelope rifle,,,back in the days when I was a Wyoming resident and antelope tags could be bought in small bundles. I hunted the plains with it and also used to hunt with it up in high mountain meadows,,, saw lots of grizzly tracks and loaded it with those 180 grain Barnes originals,,,”just in case”.

All these rifles can be finicky,,,,blue steel and walnut stocks that dance around as the weather changes like records change at 60’s high school dance. With old fixed scopes they will never be 500 yard rifles,,,300 max.,,,!

Over these past some years,,,maybe a few decades, I have left these old friends in the safe as I bought stainless steel, synthetic stocks wonders with variable power scopes,,,,,all the way up to 3-9’s.

My Sako Finn light in .308 and Kimber Hunter in 280AI are so very accurate, light as feathers and never have an unstable moment. I have however decided that they are going to sit out this next, 59th, or 60th, or even 58th whatever it is, big game hunting season. I have some “Old Friends” that have sat in my dark gun safe for a bit too long. They need some sunlight,,,and the inch of change in POI never made a damn bit of difference anyway.

Any hunting season now could be my last one,,,my last chance, to dance around the mountains with these true old hunting partners. My two legged hunting partners are all either dead or done for,,,usually overweight, from over use of fork and spoon. I hunt alone now,,,but with an In Reach GPS Spot device,,, when I get something, I call in the cavalry,,get pack horses in for recovery. I can still hike and hunt the steep country,,,but carrying much meat out is too hard

Yep I decided from now on,,,I am saving these last “hunting dances” for a chance to pair up with these old rifles. It’s been a helluva hunting party we shared together.

Mustangs Rule.

I've been blessed with granddaughters that like to hunt from birth nearly.
I passed down a rifle or two to my Son and Granddaughters to watch the joy personally of them taking game with one of my "First rifles" Nothing like it. Don't feel it could wait till I was gone and miss the experience and joy.

How accurate does a rifle need to be? As long as you can hit your target out to your self imposed limit, it's accurate enough.
Damn good point. I, like a lot of other's, get involved with accuracy we don't really need for hunting and won't win any metals in competition. I think of the time and effort I've put in over the years making my hunting rifles shoot far better than I needed and should have used a lot more of that time learning to be a better hunter. My last elk rifle is one I've mentioned here several times, a 1903 Springfield fully customized by Paul Jaeger in 1945. Guy I'd got it from had shot to many corrosive primers out of it and the barrel inside looks liked a pitted road but, Thing still shoot 1 1/4" groups and last three years I hunted elk I used it. Counted for three elk so what can I say! I'd considered having it re-bored to 338-06 but then would have had to re-mark the barrel and that was looking hard to do and still be cool. wouldn't consider a new barrel as Paul Jaegers name is on this one. Hated taking it out early on, absolutely beautiful rifle and worth a bunch of money but, gave in! Wish I'd have done that years before, gave in and used it. Use 180gr bullet's in it but can't get a whole lot of velocity out of them but then again, enough to kill three elk with three shots with. So much for the need for velocity! making guns as accurate as we can is a sickness handloaders often come down with! Most my rifles are far more accurate than I need them to be and still if talking to a competitive shooter, nothing to brag about!

There is not a critter on the planet, antelope included,that i would not hunt with a rifle that shot 1 1/4" three shot groups at 100 yards.

Of course I like to stalk, work the thick stuff and the farthest I have even taken game was just over the 400 yard mark.

Some wish to shoot,,,notice I did not say hunt, game animals at 3x that distance.

Less accurate than what?

Most rifles are more accurate than the guy that shoots them. Learning to shoot will make many guns "more accurate".

Iron sights may be considered "less accurate" but I still take them out to hunt and knowing the rifle's limitations as well as mine, will still make for a successful day in the field...

100_0369.jpg101_0030_zps1e3a56a6.jpgimage_37.jpegIMG_1702.JPGthumbnail_IMG_7947.jpgdeadbuf.jpg

Less accurate than what?

Most rifles are more accurate than the guy that shoots them. Learning to shoot will make many guns "more accurate".

Iron sights may be considered "less accurate" but I still take them out to hunt and knowing the rifle's limitations as well as mine, will still make for a successful day in the field...

or white big bead for peep site use
I cannot compliment you enough on choosing a path that leads to ever increasing your skills as a hunter. Good on you. quite often i pick up one of my three Winchesters with iron sights and lament my old eyes and wish i could hunt with them again.

I toy with the idea of removing the original front sight on my model 54 bolt action Winchester and replacing it with a bold red or white bead for peep sight use. i balk at doing that, knowing it has been on there for almost a 100 years.

Such attempts could easily go south and i would have ruined the original condition of a fine vintage rifle.

So i settle by using another winchester close to 3/4 of a century old with a low power scope that matches the period,,,and getting ever as close as possible.

THank you for your fine pictures.

MR

Occasionally, just remembering the very first hunt with my Brother and Dad at 8 brings back good memories. The smells of the wind that the Fir trees have, the sounds that only the mountains can make. This is the Legacy we carry and hopefully pass down to our children and grandchildren. In my case I hope to live long enough to get to see my great grands enjoy their first hunt. The Rifles, well I hope I have chosen enough quality to last many lifetimes.
To me it's not the latest and greatest whizz'bang, MOA, or fly by wire.
It's quality, Craftsmanship, and longevity.

Things that are Real, that endure for time, Like Honor, Character, Integrity.

To me - this then is the measure of a Firearm and The hunter that holds it😉

I grew up reading Outdoor Life, Field & Stream & Sports Afield back in the 60's & early 70's.. They espoused that if you hit a pie plate at 200 yds..... you were good to go for Whitetails, Mule deer & 'Lopes !

Still seems adequate for today. It's worked for for 50 years for me.
I can recall reading that too,,,many times. I think Jack O'Connor put the number at 8" at 200 yards. With moden reloading components and modern ammuntion it seems so easy to get even a older rifle in good shape to shoot 1 1/4" at 100 yards.
With some well practiced field shooting skills 4" to 6" is so doable,,,,but for so many shooters, not hunters,,,this is not enough.

I get the satisfaction of really tight groups,,,but that satisfation has now led to compulsion and obssesion. There are so many "long range hunters" afield now that care not one bit about learning to track, stalk, crawl and develop basic field marksmanship skills.

I remember "Fred Bear" the pictures of hunters in flannel around a camp fire taking time to absorb what Hunting is all about. We seem to have lost some of that. The Skills it takes to hunt up close, track, wind a prey and Take a game with a well placed shot. We have forgotten the real meaning of the word "Hunting"

I think there are no where near the long range hunter's as most of them would like think. There are lot's of them that openly admit they limit themselves to 400-500 yds. Well truth is if you really know how to do it at 500yds farther should be no problem. Farther would mean more drift and more drop but for someone that really knows how to shoot long it's all pretty much simply math problems. Problem is far to many guys that actually can do it busy themselves bragging about how good they are, it's an ego thing! Something I have never heard or read from one of these guy's is about a poorly placed shot or a miss. Never ever hear about that. Makes a guy think he should give up shooting at 200 yds and go for 800 yds. At 800 yds theres never a poorly placed shot or a miss!

If any remember even one of the most long range shots taken in Afghanistan was "Walked in" to place the target.

I wonder how many "Bench" Shooters actually hunt with all the other positions when adverse weather or topography take there toll. M O A don't meen much when 3 conflicting cross winds or updrafts in a valley present themselves 😀

Last edited:
I think this long range hunter,,,uhh excuse me,,,shooter,,,issue goes deeper than this.

I think a lot of the guys who are long range shooters/hunters, really are not that interested in being boots on the ground hunters at all. They are hooked on this sniper mindset,,,,and just "hunt" to live out that idea.

I think this long range hunter,,,uhh excuse me,,,shooter,,,issue goes deeper than this.

I think a lot of the guys who are long range shooters/hunters, really are not that interested in being boots on the ground hunters at all. They are hooked on this sniper mindset,,,,and just "hunt" to live out that idea.
Yeah, a guy that can kill an animal beyond the generally accepted range of "ethical" hunters just "hunts" to be a sniper. mtmuley

Yeah, a guy that can kill an animal beyond the generally accepted range of "ethical" hunters just "hunts" to be a sniper. mtmuley
St. O'Connor forbid you become proficient enough to shoot what you're after, whether it's 50yds or 500yds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back