Hunting w/ A Friend Rules?

Meat gets split 50/50 since you'll both be putting in the same amount of effort getting it and getting it out.

I have actually played rock paper siccors to determine who gets to shoot first to eliminate any confusion. Of course that is subject to some discretion (i.e. they don't see it or have a shot and it's in your wheelhouse, or it's a cow and you have a cow tag and your buddy has a bull tag, etc). If you're friends then it shouldn't be difficult or awkward, just be open and honest beforehand. Eitherway, one should be happy for the other. I'm also a big believer in karma...let him shoot first and good things will come your way.

The guys here have covered it pretty well. Have to figure out what works for you. It can be tough though because lots of guys will flake on you.

Good answers all. I have always split the meat 50/50. As far as First shot......sometimes you cannot point out an animal to a fellow hunter. I think they go blind in the excitement! True story: Wes and I were hunting a place where we decided if a Bull stepped out he got first shot at the Bull and I would get what I could. We were sitting there and all of a sudden the Mule Deer blew out of there and a Cow Elk and calf followed by a 5x5 bull stepped into our little area, not 25 yards away! I whispered to Wes, Shoot the Bull...nothing, then he says "What Bull?" I slide my gun over to the Bull and whisper again, nothing! He could not see that bull at 25 yards.....went back to the big cow and shot her, then he saw the bull and missed! So the best laid plans of mice and men! John

My #1 rule is to not hunt with partners who get bent out of shape who shoots first. In archery season, we take turns setting up in the best location, in rifle season if hunting together whoever spots the animal has first shot. It's always worked out. One big exception to this is if I'm hunting with first-timers, kids, my wife, etc. They always get first shot until their tag is filled.

Basically only hunt with my brother. If we are together we signal to each other if/when one of us has a clear/ethical shot. At the shot our first concern is getting the animal broken down and back to camp. If the other person doesn't tag out, the meat is shared 50/50 without question. Strangers have helped us curmudgeons at times and some will take some meat, but most will not.

I would say discuss this with your hunting partner prior to the hunt and come up with an agreeable plan. No surprises for either side.

If I hunt with friends, we'll discuss ahead of time. I don't often hunt with other folks, but I figure it's the best way to handle the situation when I do.

If I am hunting with my brother, well that's just like me hunting with me. We don't care who shoots what, when, etc.

Kids will always get first shot, but then again the hunt is tailored specifically for them and not me.

All things being equal, the hunter that spots the animal get's first right of refusal.

Now when hunting with kids or my 82 year old great grandpa there isn't even a question of who is shooting first. Actually even if there was a question with Grandpa, he's throwing lead before there's time for discussion anyway ;-)

I've not yet been in a situation where it wasn't a case of hosting someone or someone doing the most work on the trip where the question of who shoots first has really come up. I think you can reason the situation out without even talking it through based on social norms.

If you are a bunch of guys out there on a first time trip the guy who did the most work or spearheaded the trip shoots first. Beyond that the person who hasn't taken a species or is the new guy shoots first. If opportunities are scarce a few days in the first person with a shot shoots. An example with managed duck hunts where one hunter draws, but gets to fill his party out of 3 other hunters he is the one that drew a reservation gets the furthest upwind spot where the best shots are likely to be. I could see if you are doing the same hunt with the same guys year after year a lottery of some kind is justified.

If you have good hunting partners it shouldn't be that much an issue.

Good answers all. I have always split the meat 50/50. As far as First shot......sometimes you cannot point out an animal to a fellow hunter. I think they go blind in the excitement! True story: Wes and I were hunting a place where we decided if a Bull stepped out he got first shot at the Bull and I would get what I could. We were sitting there and all of a sudden the Mule Deer blew out of there and a Cow Elk and calf followed by a 5x5 bull stepped into our little area, not 25 yards away! I whispered to Wes, Shoot the Bull...nothing, then he says "What Bull?" I slide my gun over to the Bull and whisper again, nothing! He could not see that bull at 25 yards.....went back to the big cow and shot her, then he saw the bull and missed! So the best laid plans of mice and men! John

...and then you have the friend of friend's category...right John

With archery elk its more a matter of who gets set in the most likely spot to kill a bull that's coming in. In my experience the designated shooter is not always the one who has the shot opportunity. A bull that circles or comes in from a different direction often gives the non-designated shooter the best opportunity. It's the one reason I don't mind being the caller and setting up my hunting partners for the shot a majority of the time. Only an idiot will pass up a good opportunity for a shot if the elk doesn't read the script.

^^^ this. Worked like a charm this past archery elk season. Travis (Theat) was not an idiot in this case!

I appreciate everybody's input on this. Thank you very much. Just need to decide on what unit in Idaho I want to focus my scouting efforts now ha ha.

Very important category!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John

I once hunted geese/ducks with a couple guys. It was quickly realized that 1 guy in particular was constantly "sky busting" whatever happened to fly by at long range, rather than waiting for them to work into the decoys. It was then quickly determined that the offender was NEVER allowed to shoot until someone (with more sense) fired the first shot.

This! More than once I've taken folks pronghorn hunting and didn't even uncase my rifle for a day or more.

Also, I've found if you are truly friends the situation just kind of works itself out without any real "rules".

And sometimes you hunt all week without anything to shoot at.. ;)

Reading all this reinforces my decision to hunt mostly solo. I do the family hunts, the rest is just me. mtmuley

Reading all this reinforces my decision to hunt mostly solo. I do the family hunts, the rest is just me. mtmuley

Will you take me hunting? I can help you with learning to share and have patience by shooting first at every opportunity. :)

Depends who I'm with and what we're hunting. Sheep is whoever the glasses them gets first pick. Something like deer or elk especially in thicker cover you take a shot if you get one.
Archery hunting elk we just take turns calling for each other. If there's a less experienced person or a guest from out of state with a limited time window it's usually them up front the whole time.
The people I hunt with I have been for years so it's just kind of a revolving door of helping each other. If someone is successful we all pack it out together. We offer meat to anyone who helps. Sometimes they'll take it other times not. Depends on their meat situation/ time left in their season etc. with the couple guys I mainly hunt with, we've all helped each other so many times it's just kind of a never ending cycle of repayment. So we don't get too caught up in it because the other guys turn to help is coming some day.

I hunt alone these days.
I had 2 friends I would hunt with that have passed on to the Happy Hunting grounds.

That said I have helped others on 6 hunts this year. 3 tags filled.

Now it's my turn,to hunt alone for elk.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back