Hunting the holidays

Flatrock

Do many of you guys go on hunting trips over the holidays? Like Thanksgiving or Christmas? Longer story short, I want to go to MT to deer hunt next week and my wife actually said she wouldn't care if I left Tuesday and hunted through Sunday. I didn't expect her to say that but I will kind of feel like a jerk if I do that and not see family on Thanksgiving. Opportunities to hunt are always limited and so while I'd love to go and have 5 full days to hunt, part of me also feels like I should just wait and leave early Friday morning. Just curious what some of you guys do.

Do many of you guys go on hunting trips over the holidays? Like Thanksgiving or Christmas? Longer story short, I want to go to MT to deer hunt next week and my wife actually said she wouldn't care if I left Tuesday and hunted through Sunday. I didn't expect her to say that but I will kind of feel like a jerk if I do that and not see family on Thanksgiving. Opportunities to hunt are always limited and so while I'd love to go and have 5 full days to hunt, part of me also feels like I should just wait and leave early Friday morning. Just curious what some of you guys do.

For years my wife and I had an understanding with the rest of the family that Thanksgiving weekend was our last shot at bucks/bulls for the year. It wasn't that big of a deal to us if we ate pizza in a hotel room on thanksgiving. Now we have a 2 year old and it's tougher for us to both get out. But if I haven't tagged a buck yet I'd be out the door and the wife wouldn't hold it against me. I'd hunt but I have a very understanding spouse who loves to hunt herself.

I doubt thanksgiving is the ONLY chance you will have to spend with family, even extended family. You spend time all year long with them and hunting opportunities are very limited so you should take advantage of them whenever you can.
Some states allow you to hunt from August through November starting with archery then muzzleloader then rifle. Here in NV we have usually a two week season with your chosen weapon so you have to go then because it's a one time deal.
If your wife says go hunting I would go hunting.

I was told last Thursday I could hunt on Thanksgiving.

Then I was told on Monday that if I go, I would be in trouble.

So I'm going Friday - Sunday. :)

I go to my cabin every Thanksgiving weekend. Its my last weekend to get on the water for the year with my boat for ducks or fishing. I bring my boat home for storage after that. I told my wife years ago to not make any plans for me from opening of the first hunting season until after Thanksgiving. Its my favorite time of year and nothing interupts that except work and thats only because I have to have a pay check. She understands and plans family get togethers for after the big weekend.

This will be my 4th year in a row of going to Montana thanksgiving week . Best hunting week in my opinion and my wife is ok with it or atleast she says she is

I have to be home for my kids birthdays and Christmas day. Seems fair, gives me 361 days to go hunting.

I usually get at least one good duck hunt in over thanksgiving when I go home, this year I'm also doing a herd reduction whitetail hunt with my soon to be brother in law. Thanksgiving day is a good day to draw into to the good public duck areas but Friday-Sunday is the worst odds of the year. I may take the 4 day New Years holiday for a 4 day duck hunt depending on weather. I've had some pretty excellent Christmas eve duck hunts that involved hunting until midafternoon, my dad and I rushing to buy presents then going to Christmas even mass in one 18 hour whirlwind. I've shot a lot of turkey's on Mother's day and took last spring's Easter weekend to go out of state for an archery turkey hunt.

I probably go hunting on holidays more often than not. Fortunately, I've always lived in places where I can hunt all morning and still make it to dinner.

I love to hunt the last week over thanksgiving! It is usually really cold and most people stay home! It makes for good days of hunting. This year the girlfriends dad is coming from North Dakota to hunt elk for the first time, so hopefully we will have some luck.

My dad and I used to hunt every thanksgiving week. We'd be home in time for dinner on turkey day then gone again the rest of the week.
Now i'm married with kids and wife hasn't let me even think about it. Maybe when the boys get old enough to go I can get away with it.

We used to hunt the entire week after Christmas too. Many birds hit the ground on those weeks...

I've taken the whole family to Idaho a few times to spend Thanksgiving. Rented a little cabin and had our turkey feast while killing some whitetails. Good times!

If your relationship with your wife is like mine, she wants you to go enjoy yourself.

I don't often miss holidays to hunt, but when I do, my wife is more than supportive. It's this respect we have for each other and the things we love to do. When she told me her life long friend was getting married a 10 hour drive away, on opening weekend of duck season, I just went with it. She would do the same for me.

So, if your wife truly respects your passion and desire, don't think twice about going. Just pack the truck and have a great week!!

Thanksgiving is an interesting time for me. Growing up I always hunted thanksgiving with my dad. We often had the woods to ourselves in the afternoon. Now that I'm married I have to do more family stuff so we trade off some. This year however we are all going hunting and cooking out over a fire for thanksgiving. Hopefully it will go well so my inlaws will only be able to ruin Christmas or New Years from now on. Lol

Thanks fellas for the input. The wife says she doesn't care so I'm planning on heading out Tuesday afternoon. Found a babysitter for Wednesday so I should be all set. A little bummed to miss out on turkey day but sure looking forward to having 5 good days to hunt. Plus the rut here in ND is going strong and so I assume it will be similar in MT. Saw 2 bucks fighting 200 yards off the road last night that were oblivious to me. Then a doe came strolling by and they took off chasing her. Good luck to everyone the last week!

My take is this: I will never, ever take for granted sitting with my family on a holiday and spending real quality time with them. They are the most important thing, period.

I work in a 24 hour pharmacy, I work the night shift. I have a 50/50 chance of working. My turn in the barrel; I am working.

If the wife if OK with hunting. No brainer. Christmas is different.

My brother used to hunt birds every Thanksgiving. Always showed up late after cleaning birds. Part of the Thanksgiving ritual. We did not wait on him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back