Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hunting: Human Vulnerability to Orf Virus?

Sytes

Spurred to research further, based on the current setting in Jackson, WY.

Interesting to know. It doesn't sound apocalyptic though something worth evaluating while glassing when hunting.
@Hunting Wife , @brocksw , others in the know, thoughts?

1.) How frequent does orf virus occur w/in common big game animals? I.e. elk, deer, pronghorn.

2.) If identified when ready to harvest, using neoprene gloves via gutless method, it sounds like a person is still vulnerable if it touches any exposed skin?

3.) Is it safe to eat if found with the possible lesion(s)?

From my PhD in Googology, it appears predominately within sheep and goats, however also found from elk to pronghorn. AKA, Deer Parapoxvirus.

USFWS Identified on the elk refuge outside Jackson, WY.

"Bighorn sheep on the National Elk Refuge are used to cars and people; when they approach a car to lick its salt and mineral deposits, they can spread the virus among the herd, and put humans at risk of contracting the virus."

Known as Orf Virus.

"Lesions (one to a few) or nodules will often occur on the fingers, hands, or the forearms."
"Lesions generally range in size from 2-3 cm but can be as large as 5 cm. They can be painful but usually resolve on their own without scarring."

1705839229809.png

Yuck, I would hate to suffer through that! Kinda hate the idea of universal precautions when hunting for food. curious if this is an up and comer.

Spurred to research further, based on the current setting in Jackson, WY.

Interesting to know. It doesn't sound apocalyptic though something worth evaluating while glassing when hunting.
@Hunting Wife , @brocksw , others in the know, thoughts?

1.) How frequent does orf virus occur w/in common big game animals? I.e. elk, deer, pronghorn.

2.) If identified when ready to harvest, using neoprene gloves via gutless method, it sounds like a person is still vulnerable if it touches any exposed skin?

3.) Is it safe to eat if found with the possible lesion(s)?

From my PhD in Googology, it appears predominately within sheep and goats, however also found from elk to pronghorn. AKA, Deer Parapoxvirus.

USFWS Identified on the elk refuge outside Jackson, WY.

"Bighorn sheep on the National Elk Refuge are used to cars and people; when they approach a car to lick its salt and mineral deposits, they can spread the virus among the herd, and put humans at risk of contracting the virus."

Known as Orf Virus.

"Lesions (one to a few) or nodules will often occur on the fingers, hands, or the forearms."
"Lesions generally range in size from 2-3 cm but can be as large as 5 cm. They can be painful but usually resolve on their own without scarring."

View attachment 311734
So, as is often the case, there are many related viruses in the pox virus group, each often affecting a different species or group of animals. Orf is in the same Parapoxvirus genus as some others that affect deer, cattle, and other hooved animals globally. Orf virus itself is probably less well known in North America, but there are several similar viruses that affect cattle and have been affecting folks in the dairy or beef industries for a very long time. Orf is pretty commonly contracted by people in countries where sheep/goat husbandry is common. E.g. When people keep and live with their little flock of meat and milk goats, etc. I think globally, its the most commonly human-contracted virus in that virus family.

It’s not a disease I’ve ever seen IRL, but to address your questions:

1. I think given its contagious nature, it could probably become locally common, but I doubt Orf is widespread currently among wild sheep populations, which are sampled pretty intensively for disease. Probably the most likely scenario is that wild sheep are going to pick it up from domestic sheep and goats.

2. Many cutaneous viruses (think herpes, chickenpox, etc…those that affect the skin) are highly contagious so I would certainly be aware of an increased possibility of contracting this vs other potential pathogens you could encounter in wild game. Watch for open sores or scabbing around muzzle, lips, gums, tongue, etc. If that animal was licking/grooming itself, those saliva-laden parts of the hide/skin could be infectious to a person as well.

3. As far as safe to eat, I don’t know? I mean, for a globally common family of viruses, I’ve seen no reports of significant illness or death from people eating meat from infected animals. I don’t think the virus affects muscle tissue at all, given it’s a skin infection, but I don’t know if anyone has ever tested that. There are no consumer advisories or human health advisories related to our meat industry that I’ve ever seen. There’s probably a potential to contaminate your meat from contact with the contaminated hide I suppose. I guess IF I found myself in this scenario, I might call my state wildlife disease folks and see what guidance they might have.

A brief background of the Parapoxviruses:

Thought I'd follow up on this topic and share the rare exposure in the U.S.
Thanks to Hunting Wife for the insight.

Seeing the concern for the bighorns in Wyoming and the addressed contact with humans, the equivalent (I believe - mind you, I only have a PhD in Googology) Deer Parapoxvirus that involve deer, elk, and pronghorn:

"There have been two confirmed cases of deer parapoxvirus infection in humans in the U.S., both of whom were deer hunters on the East Coast of the U.S. Both patients had nicked their fingers while dressing the deer carcasses and later developed pox lesions (scabby crusts) on their hands. One hunter also developed swollen lymph nodes. Both hunters reported that the deer had not shown any signs of illness at the time they were dressed.

The CDC continues to investigate deer parapoxvirus cases in the U.S. More information will be provided as it is obtained."

Seems a sparse setting for our common big game. How common is this for wild sheep, @Oak ?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back