Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Competition grows to auction off coveted hunting tags

Watch The Duke on YouTube and tell me auction tags are a good thing.
I kinda like seeing the competition and MT bha doing it as a raffle vs. an auction. That said someone could probably buy enough tickets to basically guarantee themselves the tag. I’d love to see some commoner with a low number of tickets win it

Haven't read past the first page so maybe someone brought this up already.. On the VP precision podcast (on precision shooting with Jon Pynch/Jake Vibbert) they cover a lot of high end hunts that Pynch does with his buddy Ben. Ben just completed the NA 29 species this year with a bighorn from the Oregon raffle tag. I believe they said he spent well into 6 figures on tickets and was basically a coin flip on odds to draw the tag.

Tying the 2 quoted posts together - They cover the raffle tag hunt on the podcast. They used the same outfitter from "The Duke" - the one that basically allocated the new ID state record bighorn to the guy who purchased the gov tag and let the draw tag holder tag along and hunt the leftovers. On the podcast they stated something to the effect of "sheep mountain outfitters had the 2 biggest rams in the state scouted". Also hunting the area with the outfitter was a "billionaire who likes to keep a low profile" that I believe was the auction tag holder. In the podcast they covered how Ben was limited on time because there was a cancellation dall hunt he had to get to. So he shot the giant bighorn in short order (first day?) and they hopped on a private flight to Canada to get there in the nick of time for the Dall hunt. Giant Ram, Giant $ paid, closing out the NA 29 and needing to get it done right away to get to a different hunt! Pynch helped the auction tag guy pack out his ram too.

The thought that this outfitter has the best sheep in hells canyon pegged and ready every year for auction/governor tag holders to come pick off is just a shitty look. I'm sure there's some work and actual "hunting" that goes on for the guides to locate, judge, and keep tabs on these sheep. But having the biggest sheep and a high portion of the total sheep hunted in such a cool resource annually going to some guy who paid six figures to show up and kill a pre-determined ram on day one is a black eye for hunting.

Edit: didnt realize this was a necro thread! Oh well. Don't think i even want the MT MD Lottery tag but will probably buy a ticket or 2 for the idea of lottery>auction.

Last edited:
They like a nice vacation with a friendly guy who can all but guarantee them a shot at some decent animals. Maybe they don’t need their “hand held”, but it might be a stretch to refer to any of them as hunters.

Don't necessarily disagree other than on the fact that many of them are probably closely aligned with the skill level of an average hunter. In my home state they report an avg of 2.5 days in the field annually per deer hunter. That tells me the bulk of hunters go for 1 weekend, go to the same treestand every year and shoot/at something if it walks by. These same people might like the idea of going to MT to hunt mule deer and hiring an outfitter is easier to them than learning how to hunt different than their dad taught them (walk to this treestand, sit). What you would refer to as a hunter might make up less than 10% of the hunting population.

Don't necessarily disagree other than on the fact that many of them are probably closely aligned with the skill level of an average hunter. In my home state they report an avg of 2.5 days in the field annually per deer hunter. That tells me the bulk of hunters go for 1 weekend, go to the same treestand every year and shoot/at something if it walks by. These same people might like the idea of going to MT to hunt mule deer and hiring an outfitter is easier to them than learning how to hunt different than their dad taught them (walk to this treestand, sit). What you would refer to as a hunter might make up less than 10% of the hunting population.
Not sure I ever said what I'd "refer to" as a "hunter". It's my opinion there's a difference (unrelated to auction tags) in "hunters" and "clients" - just as there are with "trophies" and paid by the head treasures obtained primarily because of your wallet, vacations and connections. Maybe worthy of another enjoyable (unless your wallet is thicker than your skin) off-season topic.

I haven’t looked in years past, is it typical for the MT tag to go for less than the CO, OR, and NM tags? I would have thought MT would have brought in the most cash.
I would assume the Colorado and New Mexico rams were picked out before the sale
@bigsky2 I don’t think so—I was surprised to see that too.
@TheTone My friend that was there mentioned word on the street about some big rams spotted in CO.

The attitude seemed like “Montana has lost some of its luster.” This is all second-hand though. $380K though still means there must be some..

Looks like there is a new unit opening in NM for rockies.

In Colorado, Oak obviously decided to throw his weight around.
1705946799587.png

Add another $300k for the private ranch "access fee" to that CO tag.
Big Jim will probably land his private jet on the ranch and be able to kill one of those tame 4-H projects with a hammer.

$1.5mil for (2) sheep tags is a lot of sammiches.

Big Jim will probably land his private jet on the ranch and be able to kill one of those tame 4-H projects with a hammer.

Rumor is there is a 200” Ram that’s already been picked out/located on that private ranch.

Not even a good sandwich at that

#mountainhunter who likely didn’t bid at #sheepshow in person because too busy with #VIP stuff (#buisinessowner #father #entreprenaur #husband) rolls in for the hunt with #longrange rig complete with #customammo created and tested by somebody else. Instagram will be gushing with the very best and most obnoxious #athletes #publicfigures #influencers #mountainguides #sheepguides all barfing hashtags and lingo #conservation #puttingmoreanimalsonthemountain and all things #mountainhunting badassery.

#sheephunter #mountainhunt #conservationproject will be dedicated to his exwifes' handicapped step daughters' #unclericco who was killed in #combat while dying from #breastcancer. The ram's name will be #RiccoGrande, and all 19 people proudly smiling in the kill photograph will be wearing matching pink silicon bracelets that say, In Memory of Uncle Ricco.

#doingthelordswork #gobigorgohome

Anyone else hope a Mtn Lion is currently eating it? Wait whut?
That was my first response as well. But judging by the photo I've seen, that mountain lion would have to eat about 5 of them in order for Fat Jimmy to be disappointed w/ his purchase.

That was my first response as well. But judging by the photo I've seen, that mountain lion would have to eat about 5 of them in order for Fat Jimmy to be disappointed w/ his purchase.
His elk hunt story is par for the course. mtmuley

I saw an interesting post on Instagram. It highlights the cumulative nature of auction tags Ect… we look a say it one tag it doesn’t matter. This is two tags for only one game animal in just one state. Multiple this by 100 fold to get the true scope of auction tags/ governors tags on yearly basis, 90% of opportunities being lost at the expense of residents. I think the dirty little secret is most hunter disenfranchisement comes from within.

Attachments

• IMG_5460.png
    IMG_5460.png
    971.5 KB · Views: 31
I saw an interesting post on Instagram. It highlights the cumulative nature of auction tags Ect… we look a say it one tag it doesn’t matter. This is two tags for only one game animal in just one state. Multiple this by 100 fold to get the true scope of auction tags/ governors tags on yearly basis, 90% of opportunities being lost at the expense of residents. I think the dirty little secret is most hunter disenfranchisement comes from within.
You know you’re in it for the right reasons when you’re rounding B&C scores to the thousandths decimal place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back