Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Competition grows to auction off coveted hunting tags

tell residents to pay more for a tag or more in state taxes to fund the department... or let the department come up with ways to raise the funding they need.. These departments need funding. I see the complaints we need more wardens. Etc. How do you think we are going to do that. Montana fwp doesn't get funding from the state tax. They raise alot of their funding threw tag sales. It's needed. As shit as it is. It is needed.

What is its value? mtmuley
In spite of many opinions on this forum in particular, Montana has fantastic mule deer hunting in many places that this tag gives someone an opportunity to enjoy that they otherwise wouldn’t get. I don’t expect to change everyone’s minds, nor do people need to. If an all-unit including LE tag doesn’t excite you, that’s not my problem. But I’d be remiss not to try to let folks know about this opportunity.

Particularly because the funds raised for this effort go directly towards helping with those state efforts to manage mule deer. That also gives value to this tag.

In spite of many opinions on this forum in particular, Montana has fantastic mule deer hunting in many places that this tag gives someone an opportunity to enjoy that they otherwise wouldn’t get. I don’t expect to change everyone’s minds, nor do people need to. If an all-unit including LE tag doesn’t excite you, that’s not my problem. But I’d be remiss not to try to let folks know about this opportunity.

Particularly because the funds raised for this effort go directly towards helping with those state efforts to manage mule deer. That also gives value to this tag.
I'm on board with the funds going towards helping mule deer. mtmuley

No problem! Glad you support the effort. I’d much prefer it falls in the hands of someone who can still appreciate its value.
This is antlerradar’s polite way of saying the permit isn’t more valuable than the price of a raffle ticket.

Can you share one of the many places where Montana has “fantastic” mule deer hunting?
🤣

This is antlerradar’s polite way of saying the permit isn’t more valuable than the price of a raffle ticket.

Can you share one of the many places where Montana has “fantastic” mule deer hunting?
🤣
I bet this tag would be a curse to a hunting season. I drew this badass tag and I’ve hunted the whole season and not found a good buck.

🤣
Oh I know what antlerrader was saying and he’s entitled to his opinion. And like I said, I’m glad he’s not choosing to take away from someone else’s opportunity and the tag will go to someone who appreciates it.

And I could give away plenty of spots, but I won’t. I’ve hunted elk in many LE mule deer units and seen many big ones. I understand what people are saying here, and it’s the same HT bias that I’ve seen on the mule deer mismanagement thread (which also doesn’t jive with the general perception of most Montana hunters).

If the tag isn’t worth it to you, raising money for mule deer isn’t worth it to you, a more equitable model that gives everyone a chance isn’t worth it to you, and $3400 in new gear isn’t worth it to you, then that’s your right.

But I do know there are others who are less pessimistic and value mule deer hunting in special places, among the list above, that would be bummed if they didn’t find out about this until after it’s over.

Oh I know what antlerrader was saying and he’s entitled to his opinion. And like I said, I’m glad he’s not choosing to take away from someone else’s opportunity and the tag will go to someone who appreciates it.

And I could give away plenty of spots, but I won’t. I’ve hunted elk in many LE mule deer units and seen many big ones. I understand what people are saying here, and it’s the same HT bias that I’ve seen on the mule deer mismanagement thread (which also doesn’t jive with the general perception of most Montana hunters).

If the tag isn’t worth it to you, raising money for mule deer isn’t worth it to you, a more equitable model that gives everyone a chance isn’t worth it to you, and $3400 in new gear isn’t worth it to you, then that’s your right.

But I do know there are others who are less pessimistic and value mule deer hunting in special places, among the list above, that would be bummed if they didn’t find out about this until after it’s over.
Has it really been 10 years?

A gem from the MT mule deer archives… the 2014 auction permit hunt!

Thread 'What has hunting become?'
https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/what-has-hunting-become.260251/

People aren’t complaining to just complain. Good luck with your sale of wildlife. Maybe some pictures of the bucks they shot will drum up some more support in years to come. Fantastic mule deer hunting 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️.

People aren’t complaining to just complain. Good luck with your sale of wildlife. Maybe some pictures of the bucks they shot will drum up some more support in years to come. Fantastic mule deer hunting 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️.
I gain nothing from this. Instead of bashing a volunteer (well aware of the issues and an advocate for this species) trying to raise money for mule deer in his home state, maybe you should read the article and find out more about this. The auction tag model has been around for a long time, and in this instance, it isn’t just being sold to the highest bidder.

Shame on you DFS.

I gain nothing from this. Instead of bashing a volunteer (well aware of the issues and an advocate for this species) trying to raise money for mule deer in his home state, maybe you should read the article and find out more about this. The auction tag model has been around for a long time, and in this instance, it isn’t just being sold to the highest bidder.

Shame on you DFS.
There is no shame on me. I would love to help mule deer.
It’s starts with not hunting them with a statewide rut hunt. You on board @Elky Welky. Or do you want to keep your fantastic mule deer hunting.

I like the raffle but there is a damn good reason it doesn’t touch the amount of money other states bring in. Good luck to you I will be buying a ticket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back