Hunting gaiters

southdakotaelk

Looking for advise on what type of gaiters you all like. Will be elk hunting in Colorado. I’ve used the cheap brands which I was ok with but they ripped and I’m looking to get a pair . Thoughts? Opinions ?

I've been using red fox mountaineering gaiters. The upper is made of hypalon and it's tough stuff in my couple years of experience now

I’ve just used the OR Crocodiles. My dad had some high dollar ones (kuiu I think) that were really too slim to fit over his boots. After I tagged out he borrowed mine

If you have larger calves, you want the OR Crocodiles. At least when I looked they were the biggest ones out there short of custom and they work great.

Smaller legs, they might be baggy.

I have to wear OR Crocodiles because of my calves. They work really well but aren't the quietest in brush. I did have the little plastic tab break last year on a pair due to the extreme cold. They replaced no questions ask even though I was just looking for info on how to repair them myself.

I’ve heard that the newer Sitka ones are a big improvement over the old ones, which is good because the originals were not great.

I’ve had OR and Kuiu and both have been great.

Stone Glacier also just started making gaiters and they look nice but I haven’t tried them.

I've got a pair of the Kenetrek gaiters, which are well made, but are too big for me. I went off their sizing chart, and should have went a size smaller. This was also 5 years ago, so things may have changed since then.

My hunting partner has some First Lite gaiters that I borrowed for a wet morning this season, and they fit great. But the loop under the boot seemed flimsy.

Looking for advise on what type of gaiters you all like. Will be elk hunting in Colorado. I’ve used the cheap brands which I was ok with but they ripped and I’m looking to get a pair . Thoughts? Opinions ?
Black Ovis did a cool video a year or so ago comparing a bunch. I picked up the Kings and like them a lot. However if I was buying today I would take a hard look at the new Stone Glacier ones. I was really impressed with what I've seen and talked to a couple people who have used them and were happy.

My buddy wasn't as happy with his Kuiu ones as I was last year with my Kings.
I hear a lot of positives about the Kennetreks too.

I have both the OR crocs and the helium. If it’s just wet/dew/snow, I run the helium. If it’s brushy and they will take some abuse, the crocs are substantial and can take a beating.

I think mine are Kenetreks and I have torn holes in them.
If I was shopping again I would look at Kryptek or one of the others mentioned above.

Honestly didn’t know their was this many options. Guess I should have known. Thanks for all the input folks ! Surely I can come up with something with these options

I have first lite gators but my hunting part we got the stone glaciers and it took me five minutes to decide I’m ordering a pair as well!

Kuiu - wore them the fug out and they replaced them no questions asked. Great customer svc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve had kenetrek gaiters and they failed badly on a moose hunt. If you have a pair of them I highly recommend taking them to a shoe guy and have them restitch the strap that goes under your boot. I switched to Kuiu which fit better and been using the for five years now.

Back