Hunting/Fishing around Juneau?

The Hedgehog

Anything really good right near town? Black bears, good fishing on a budget?

I might be there in late May or late June..

I don't know if you'll be able to find anything. I hear it's loud up there. Soemthing about Wedding Bells always going off or sometning ;)

Have fun on your trip, I'm with Wylee, I hear the Tuna fishing is good that time of year . Using trout to bait is the way to go, jsut watch how you put it on the hook though !!!!

Dickweeds.. is there any good hunting or fishing around there? Mid-june it is. I think I've heard there's really good fishing. Thanks for all the useless comments.

I will be going out of Juneau on a small commercial boat with a few guys leaving june 17th. Out of 25 trips to Alaska I have fished Juneau only three times. It is awesome scenery and good salmon, halibut. crab and clam area. I never had a chance to hunt there so maybe someone will let you know the scoop on black bear in june. It might be a little late. Not much road or river areas to fish so I would see about a couple of day trips. Bars are good and the cruise ships dump out horny old ladies all day long. Have fun.

OK, OK, fine.....honestly Greenhorn, I can't tell you much about Juneau. I've never been down there. I am sure that the fishing that time of year will be good, as it always is in SE in the summer. I'm not so sure about the hunting, though. Juneau is quite the artistic town, kinda granola. I would think the cougar hunting should be in prime season.

Angry? BS. I got a free plane ticket and an excellent local tour guide.

Greenhorn:

That can be really good salmon and halibut time. Two years ago I fished between Juneau and Haines in early July. See attached pics. The fishing is actually better near Juneau than it is further north near Haines.

Without a boat, it is hard to get in on much halibut or salmon fishing.

Humpies are usually running real thick in the rivers and creeks around that time. Lots of fun to catch, but not anything you want to eat. Could be a lot of sockeye at that time also, but they are almost impossible to catch once they get in the rivers.

Call me and I can tell you what little I know. I have fished there a lot, but if I didn't have access to boats, such as my uncle's and cousin's, I would have to hire a charter ($$), or just not fish.

Not aware of any good hunting at that time, even though black bear season is open then. I suspect their hides would be really bad.

Good luck.

Attachments

• King.JPG
    King.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 254
  • Halibut.JPG
    Halibut.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 254
excellent local tour guide.

I know...... tell "M" Hi for me :D :D

ON the fishing note, I don't picture you asa Fisherman. Have you ever posted a picture of you fishing ? I'm not saying you don't, but never saw a picture. Post one bud !!!!

Greenhorn,

Grab a charter boat, preferably headed towards Hoonah/Gustavus area. That's southwest of Juneau. Great whale watching in that area, don't forget the camera.

Yes, there are black bears around there too.

BW, Thanks. After speaking to my guide, it looks like the destination will be around Angoon.

I'm going today, for the weekend. No fishing or hunting. Going back in 3 weeks for a week, fishing that time.

Greenhorn Already punched his AK tag it sounds like. And the fishing is done berfore he goes. He's caught, Hook in mouth :D :D :D

There were fish. I didn't catch these ones, but I watched a cute gal reel them in. I caught King Salmon, Halibut, and some other odd looking bottom dwellers.

Attachments

• King Salmon2.jpg
    King Salmon2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 113

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back