PEAX Equipment

Hunting every hunt area in Wyoming

Headed up to the north east part of the state for the weekend, hoping to add areas 3 and 4 to the list. Whitetail and turkey are on the list as well.

So far no antelope. Actually have seen very few. This might be harder than I expected. But did see a couple nice whitetail bucks on public just after dark. Going to try for them in the morning.

Imagine being a nonresident and reading this thread. It would make me question my life choices, particularly the choice to live somewhere not in WY.
yeah but you res won’t get to experience the highest of highs which is to occassionally escape our life choices and play westerner for a week or two every now and then. It’s like your “first time”, every time. Ha Ha!!! None of that humdrum, draw a tag, draw another tag... and another tag, every year forever. Man that must get so boring and predictable after a while. ;)

yeah but you res won’t get to experience the highest of highs which is to occassionally escape our life choices and play westerner for a week or two every now and then. It’s like your “first time”, every time. Ha Ha!!! None of that humdrum, draw a tag, draw another tag... and another tag, every year forever. Man that must get so boring and predictable after a while. ;)
Yep, it sucks, haha🙃

Well that was tougher than I expected. Never saw a live antelope on public land. But it was still a lot of fun. Saw lots of deer, turkeys and even a covey of sharptails (never have seen those). Rented a nice cabin at Keyhole state park.20191117_135343.jpg20191117_124124.jpg20191116_195804.jpg

I think that's a great goal. A buddy and I set out to catch trout in every Gold Medal water in Colorado a few years ago. Due to family and work constraints we were plodding through the list pretty slowly and never quite finished, but we had a blast and saw a lot of the state we wouldn't spend time in otherwise. An unexpected part was that we got distracted by a whole bunch of fly fishing that was more fun than the waters on the official list...

Well that was tougher than I expected. Never saw a live antelope on public land. But it was still a lot of fun. Saw lots of deer, turkeys and even a covey of sharptails (never have seen those).

This sounds like several of my WY antelope experiences, I can't figure out for the life of me why I don't carry a shotgun for sharptails when I go up there, I see those things all over the place.

I understand the idea behind a "check off" accomplishment. I have one similar.
My ultimate goal is an elk in each of the 11 western states. So far I've gotten 4 (CA, OR, WY, NM)
On the way to that, I want to hunt each of those states, regardless of species, So far I've bought licenses, and killed something in CA, OR, ID, WY, NV, NM, and struck out in CO

These "arbitrary" goals (seeing more country, states) will mean a lot more than actual kills when it is all said and done. I am a big proponent of hunting for the right reasons... and adventure, travel, sightseeing, and just plain old good stories is now my goal. I will never be a stone-cold trophy killer, both my mentality and opportunity (non resident easterner) preclude that. Yet I am jealous of you western guys, just not for the reasons some of the more kill-score-oriented hunters might think.

This sounds like several of my WY antelope experiences, I can't figure out for the life of me why I don't carry a shotgun for sharptails when I go up there, I see those things all over the place.
I had a shotgun! They were on private though. :(

I love hunting antelope and I love exploring new areas. I have a goal of killing an antelope in every hunt area in Wyoming. So far I have 6 hunt areas checked off, and with this year's tags I should be able to check off another 5 areas. Not sure if this goal is possible, but I bet I can come close by the end of my life. Its going to take some lucky draws.

Anyone else ever think of trying this or something similar?
That is a awesome goal!!

This reminds me of a friend of mine who is working towards a goal of killing a deer in every TN county. He is over halfway there, but deer harvest out here is far more liberal than antelope harvest there

This reminds me of a friend of mine who is working towards a goal of killing a deer in every TN county. He is over halfway there, but deer harvest out here is far more liberal than antelope harvest there
I think I was pretty optimistic last year. I think the reality is setting in this year, with reduced quotas and kids who are old enough to hunt now. But I am still going to try.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back