Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunting every hunt area in Wyoming

Carl 9.3x62

I love hunting antelope and I love exploring new areas. I have a goal of killing an antelope in every hunt area in Wyoming. So far I have 6 hunt areas checked off, and with this year's tags I should be able to check off another 5 areas. Not sure if this goal is possible, but I bet I can come close by the end of my life. Its going to take some lucky draws.

Anyone else ever think of trying this or something similar?

Last edited:
It's a great idea as it would be a great way to explore the state. It may be easier to do as a non res where you have points and regions rather than a specific hunt area. I hope you're younger though, as I feel like it could take a lifetime or be impossible to achieve regardless of non res status.

Absolutely! I've been trying this approach since moving here and it's been fun. I put those hard draw units as a first choice and second choice is usually on the east side of the state. It's been fun and looking forward to seeing new units. Drew a second choice this year in a hard access on the east side, it looks challenging on OnX but I have faith. Lol

There are 115 areas and you are allowed 2 buck and 4 doe tags every year so you could potentially do it in 20 years. Getting 6 tags in 6 different areas every year would probably go bye bye fairly quickly. Build up the PPs if you're a NR.

It's a great idea as it would be a great way to explore the state. It may be easier to do as a non res where you have points and regions rather than a specific hunt area. I hope you're younger though, as I feel like it could take a lifetime or be impossible to achieve regardless of non res status.

There are no regions for antelope, only areas. A regional tag isn't guaranteed to be valid for every area in that region.

Absolutely! I've been trying this approach since moving here and it's been fun. I put those hard draw units as a first choice and second choice is usually on the east side of the state. It's been fun and looking forward to seeing new units. Drew a second choice this year in a hard access on the east side, it looks challenging on OnX but I have faith. Lol
Pretty much my strategy also. How many areas have you killed in?

There are 115 areas and you are allowed 2 buck and 4 doe tags every year so you could potentially do it in 20 years. Getting 6 tags in 6 different areas every year would probably go bye bye fairly quickly. Build up the PPs if you're a NR.
I am a resident and in my early 30s, so I have that going for me. Not sure why I didn't go for a 4th doe tag this year. Maybe I will try to buy a leftover.

There are no regions for antelope, only areas. A regional tag isn't guaranteed to be valid for every area in that region.

Ah I think I was confusing non res deer and pronghorn probably. Non res deer is regions right? I'm a resident so I mostly just know our end.

Either way, I wasn't factoring the doe tags either. It's a cool goal either way. There's a lot of amazing places I'm sure I never would have found if I didn't have a tag in my pocket.

I've only killed pronghorn in 5 different areas. Ive probably put in for tags in 10 different areas but obviously you don't draw every time.

Imagine being a nonresident and reading this thread. It would make me question my life choices, particularly the choice to live somewhere not in WY.

Non residents have the advantage of PPs to help in low quota areas, but that's somewhat offset by residents getting dibs on 80% of the tags. Some areas are about impossible unless you have a fistful of PPs. Be a goodidea to buy a lifetime conservation stamp if you start young enough since payback on that is 15 years not counting any fee increases.

Had you started this when the world was covered with pronghorn, you'd have had a better chance of accomplishing your goal. It was easier to switch areas and get licenses once upon a time. When I went to work for the G and F, I thought it would be good to know what I was talking about when recommending areas to hunters, particularly from the state office. So, I tried to hunt one or two different areas each year, by myself or with friends and relatives. Between 1970 and 2000 I managed to antelope hunt areas 5, 9, 25, 26, 32, 42, 43, 46, 47, 48, 50, 52, 53, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 67, 68, 69, 70, 72, 73, 75, 90, 91, 92, 93, 96, and 101, then gave it up. It is no accident that this list does not include many areas in NE Wyoming. If I wouldn't hunt the area, I wouldn't recommend it, largely due to access problems and access fees. Good luck with your goal. The drawing odds aren't getting any better.

Had you started this when the world was covered with pronghorn, you'd have had a better chance of accomplishing your goal. It was easier to switch areas and get licenses once upon a time. When I went to work for the G and F, I thought it would be good to know what I was talking about when recommending areas to hunters, particularly from the state office. So, I tried to hunt one or two different areas each year, by myself or with friends and relatives. Between 1970 and 2000 I managed to antelope hunt areas 5, 9, 25, 26, 32, 42, 43, 46, 47, 48, 50, 52, 53, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 67, 68, 69, 70, 72, 73, 75, 90, 91, 92, 93, 96, and 101, then gave it up. It is no accident that this list does not include many areas in NE Wyoming. If I wouldn't hunt the area, I wouldn't recommend it, largely due to access problems and access fees. Good luck with your goal. The drawing odds aren't getting any better.

Were you a WGFD biologist based in Cheyenne, or what was your occupation?

Two more hunt areas added to the list. I shot the buck at 42 yards and the doe off hand at 25 yards. Who says antelope hunting is a long range affair!? Haha, got lucky with topography.

So far I have areas 94, 92, 112, 45, 48, 52, 53, 55, and 56. Plan to add 47 tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20191005_160822.jpg
    20191005_160822.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
  • 20191005_093201.jpg
    20191005_093201.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members