Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting Etiquette?

Ratchet

Just wanted to throw this out there for opinions other than my own. I recently went on an elk hunt with three other guys. My two sons and a friend of one of theirs. The friend was fortunate to harvest the only bull in the group. Which I thought was great. It was their first elk hunt. We all pitched in with packing the elk out, including some other hunters which was over a mile. My sons and I were all happy someone in our group got an elk.
The problem I have is there was never an offer or even mention to give of some of the meat for helping to pack it out, except to the other hunters, which they declined.
Maybe I'm just old school, but I would have been more than happy to share the meat with the rest of our group if I had gotten one and they had helped me pack it out.
Is it just me or is it just an individual thing?

I always offer. In our camp it is understood but we are pretty much all vets and very communal about camp work etc.

As a reminder, states have rather strict rules for those wanting to share meat. Kansas regulations require written permission, including name, address, sportsman ID, and a declaration to whom I am giving my game meat. And I have seen out of state hunters returning home and while driving through Kansas get stopped at a game check station, and the (hard nosed) enforcement officer apply state law to game taken outside of Kansas.

There was a recent thread on this very subject. I thought it was surprising how varied the responses were. There definitely isn't a standard. That said, I've shared with those who have helped me pack out and vice versa.

Saturday I helped a buddy pack an elk out of the Big Belts. Beautiful fall day to suffer in the mountains. He gave me a backstrap, and I accepted and appreciated the offer. If he hadn't I wouldn't have taken it personally.

I share sometimes and occasionally buddies share with me. If I know someone's freezer is low and mine isn't I offer.

This is easily rectified by a quick conversation beforehand. We had that conversation and we all split the meat equally (4 guys) no matter who shoots the elk. We function as a team and share the costs and reap the profits equally. I would wonder about someone who doesn't have a sharing attitude.

As MNelk said..we have always agreed to split it equally among the group and haven't had any issues. Its kind of a gray area....different for each group im sure.

I helped my buddy field dress and pack out both his buck and his bull last week, he's got some goodies wrapped up for me already and I didn't have to ask...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back