PEAX Equipment

Hunting and Skinning for Profit

Seldom Ever; did i ever tell you about the time I was out Coyote Huntin up in the Owyhee Desert and that Big Coyote jumped on me? It had Snowed real hard the night before and when I crawled out of my Tent in the Morning it was trying to break up but was still snowing lightly, I loaded up and headed out, and on about the 3rd or 4th Stand I found myself Calling down into a deep Gorge, Vision was perty poor , and I was in full white Camo. I was a blowin that little Pee Wee Critter call for all i was worth, I was looking to my left and just as I was sweeping my head to the right ! There He Was ! A huge Coyote had zeroed in my fingers a moving on the end of my call and he was moving at full speed when he impacted me! Out of desperation I dropped my call and raised my hand to Shield my Face from the Dogs Teeth. At impact I managed to get ahold of his Neck just below his chin. And Man let me tell you I had a Death Grip on this Coyote!! He began kicking at me trying to get away but I had a good hold on him and I mean a hand Full of Fur! While he was trying like hell to pull away from me I was trying like hell to get my rifle in my left hand and shoot the Damn thing, but he was a jerking around so much Hell i thought i'd accidentally shoot myself instead of him, Anyway this went on for about a minute or so and then very suddenly he quit struggling and just layed there still as could be with his lips curled back and his teeth ALL showing with a low pitched mean as hell Growl! And he was glaring at me almost as if to say : Mr !You Had Better Just Let The Hell Go Of Me and I Mean Right NOW! Right about then All Hell broke loose and he Clamped down Hard on my right arm, Hell i bet i must have sounded like a woman when that awful Scream came out of my lungs, I jumped to my feet and let loose of that Coyote and my gun! The deep snow kinda softened my guns impact i guess but at the time i really wasnt at all worried about my gun. but more for gettin that damn dog off of me, as soon as he felt me let go of my death grip on him he let loose of me and away he went. Well to make a long story short, the Dog got away and I headed back to the truck with a hand Full of Coyote Fur and thinking to myself : man what a good thing nobody was with me to hear me when I screamed like a woman(no offense crow woman)Blaine

That's a great story Blaine. Now that's calling them in close. Too bad you didn't get that on video.
biggrin.gif

Doug

oh Blaine... that was crewl!!!

hahahaha... I'm trying so hard to be quiet here and not wake the dead and you have me in hysterics
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

My Gawd... I enjoyed that one!
wink.gif

Please tell Aryan I said hello
wink.gif

And tell her that boys are yukky and go show the boys how a true coyote huntress does it
wink.gif

I want to hear all about her hunt! Don't forget Dad!
smile.gif

Remember, lead, take a deep breath and squeeze that trigger Aryan and tell Dad, don't forget the camera
elkgrin.gif

Good story Blaine,
After you bin bit once you never forget do ya,,,LOL I think I have been bit by about everything,,,,coyote,fox,bobcat, racoon, mink, pine martin, I'm not sure what I'm forgetin.

One time at band camp,,lol,, I did have one backdoor me at full speed and it will scare the crap out of you when they land in your lap

sly

Blaine,never had much like that happen to me.Got bit by a squirrel once, and jumped out of my treestand on account of one one time,but nothing like that.If that had of happened to me,the smell in my pants would've distracted the coyote long enough for me to kill it!

That would make it personal,I'd want to kill everyone I see after that,hahahaha!

Great story Blaine!

Thanks Folks!
Like you say Slydog once you've been bit you never forget, and Seldom ever I guess i shouldnt feel too awful bad about screamin like a woman if you were run out of a tree stand by a mad squirrel for hek sakes! HAHA! I do recall another impact with a coyote of a kinda different sort, I was out in late Oct early November calling and was calling into a sage flat that was perty thick. And to my amazement a Very small coyote appeared within just a few feet of me with his back arched way up,his lips curled waaay back and his tail poked down between his legs, and he was High Steppin swingin his head side to side and growlin at me. He was trying so hard to make himself out to be a big mean ol dog who thought he could scare away whatever the hek was causin that rabbit to squeel that He was worrying more about what HE looked like than me and actually high stepped right up to me and pawed me on the chest, I remember thinking" What The Hell"!! He must have realized something aint right here cuz he then raised his head and looked directly into my eyes! OH MY HELL if you could have only seen the change of expression in that little dogs eyes! It was Priceless. With a blank kinda stare on his face and Obviously in Deep Shock he staggered back bumping into the sagebush directly behind him and as if in a complete Drunkin Stupor he turned and began walking slowly away bumping into every sage bush on his way and not showing much concern about it neither! I remember raising my gun to my shoulder, but just didn't have it in me to shoot the poor damn thing i was feeling so sorry for it. To this day i have never seen a coyote in a more complete state of shock than that little starvin coyote was!

Its guys like Blaine and the storys they tell that makes this board the best. Keep them commin,,,LOL

I'm still seeing Seldom jumping out of his tree with a totaly MAD rodent on his tail,,,LOL,,,ROFLMAO too good

sly

Did you know squirrels can purr like a cat ? I was half asleep in my tree stand early one morning,when I heard something purring what sounded like 2 or 3 feet behind me.I just knew it was a house cat of some sort,but when I turned around there was a big old gray squirrel staring at me from about 6 inches away.Now,I guess I had made up my mind it was a cat, so when I saw a purring squirrel it was just too much,and I leaped out of my tree stand.Fortunately I had on a long safety belt and I hauled myself back up.My ribs were real sore for a few weeks after that,I don't know what happened to the squirrel,he was as surprised as I was!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> just hit the main drag in Sunset then head south <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I didn't realize that there was a main drag in Sunset!!!
wink.gif
I'll try to stop by next week. Is there an evening that works best for you?

LOLOLOLOL You're right 1_Pointer! what is it about 200yds long at best? not much of a Drag is it? Anytime after 5 pm is good for me if that will work for you buddy. Blaine

I'll post a day or so before I drop by to see if that works for you. I'm assuming the main drag is you are referring to starts at the intersection near the Taco Hell, Wingers, and KFC?

What a hoot!! Good stories Blaine. Bet that was a smelly walk to the next stand.
wink.gif

Been busy getting everything around for the tactical, when I get a chance, I'll send the money for the video.

thanks again for the story,

later pup

NOTE to self:In light of the recent testimony of man that has had ahold of live coyote. It is a bad idea to grab ahold of said live coyote. Cancel the "lay in wait by hole hunt theory."
cool.gif

You got it 1_Pointer! Thanks Pup! I damn near crapped my drawers when i had a Lion come flyin up out of a gorge one morning to within about 30 feet of me. Holy crap those lions are a serious Predator!

I'm surprised he didn't stop,did he not see you or what Blaine ? The smell I made would've run him off!

LOL Seldom Ever! I have to admit thats the closest i ever came to having to go change my pants! I was up in the Owyhee River Gorge country calling down into one of the many deep tributaries that branch off from the South Fork of the Owyhee! I had driven out on a point and walked out over the edge overlooking the River far down below me! I plopped myself down and let er rip on my pee-wee, within about 5 minutes i could hear far down the gorge something that sounded like another caller blastin away on a coarse jackrabbit call, kinda like a lohman or a wily call! but the sound kept getting closer to me and i thought "what the hell" I realized it was a big cat but couldn't see him yet, I was intently searching for the darn thing when i caught movement on the other side of the gorge, the Lion had gone up the other side of the gorge to a point high enough so that he could look across at me to locate the origin of my distress call, at that point he was about 400 yds out across that gorge. And hell he looked plenty big even from that distance, The entire time he was looking out accross the gorge in my direction he was screaming Very Loud like he was upset or something! I pointed the barrel of my call directly at him at cut loose with a sharp, short burst and here he come, down the other side of the gorge and across the River he came! In less than a minute he was within 25-30 feet of me perched up on one of the many Boulders that are present throughout the Owyhee River Gorge Country. anyway! Standing up on that boulder and screaming the entire time he was intensely scanning the surrounding side of the gorge trying to locate me! A couple times i thought he had me, as he stared right at me then continued to scan side to side! His screams were SO loud and the look in his eyes really impressed me! thats a neat way of saying that i was nervous as hell having him so close. He was poised on that boulder and when i could sense that he was relaxing a bit i decided to find out what he'd do if i twitched my knee a tiny bit! Well now! thats when the old crappin the pants could have easily happened, As he immediately picked up on the movement and squared his body to me poised to Lunge! Sensing immediate danger(imagine that?) I quickly jumped to my feet trying to make myself appear large, And for a few seconds there i thought he would come at me all hunkered down and squared to me as he was, I hollered real loud at the big cat and he swung around and headed back down into the gorge! I must admit i felt somewhat relieved to see him going in the opposite direction, It was very tempting to shoot the big bugger but i had no Idaho Permit to legally take the Lion. The thing that stands out most in my mind about the Lion was the intense look on his face and those eyes! I remember thinking to myself "Man! what a serious Predator! The following year i bought a permit here in Ut and called in and killed a Lion with my 22-284 using a 65gr Berger. Not much of a demand for Lion Fur these days but i found that calling Lions can make for some mighty intense moments! Blaine

Man,what a rush,that's a high that will stay with you everytime you think about it!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back