Hunterman & QD Deer pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elkhunter

Tony 1.jpg

Tony 2.jpg

Tony 3.jpg

Tony 4.jpg

Was the head shot intentional or not? Regardless, it gets the job done.

Thanks a bunch Elkhunter.
As for the previous posts here's the answers for ya'll.

TheTone, yes the head shot was intentional, we were in very steep country.
Remove the first picture????? :eek: :eek: :eek: ???????????

Now for the story....
Oct. 14th we leave our house at about 8:30 am for Iron Creek for our either sex mule deer hunt, we get there at about noon or so, get camp set up and meet one of our neighbors. Then in the later afternoon we go for a short walk just to check out the area and get a feel for things. My dad is telling me all about how the trails are and how the deer use them and this and that about the area.

Oct. 15th opening day of deer season, we get up at 5 am, have some coffee, cider and breakfast. We hit the trail in between 6:30 and 7:00 am. about an hour after that we finally get to the trail we chose the night before to hike. We're walking and glassing and listening and my dad is telling me about hunting with my Grandpa and some of his friends. At about 9:00 am we hear some rifle shots , we think "that's a good sign " at first it was 3 in front of us, then about half hour later we hear 2 more from behind us. We say to each other way to go sounds like a couple people got their deer. Then it happened at 10:00 am we see this deer, we decided that it was a buck, a 2 point, but one side looked a little weird, since it was a 4 point. My dad, this whole time was lying on his back against the hill side this whole time, and I'm kneeling ready shoot behind him. As soon as he says "3 points kill that buck" he leaned back plugged his ears and I shot this deer at about 40 yards in the throat, but it looked as if I missed. We started to get up and so did the deer, my dad still sort of still on his back shoots this deer again, in the neck/throat. The deer drops, then rolls down the mountain about 40 feet to the bottom. At this point in the time the work really begins, the pack out. My dad has a brilliant idea of dragging the deer out through the draw, I say yeah all right, sounds like a good idea. Well this idea went from great to good to bad to I'm never f***ing doing this again. Which turns out to be something he always says, and he always ends up doing itI think sometimes the voices in his head tells him to do things he doesn't really want to do. We get about a 1/4 of the way out when we hear something coming down the hill just in front of us. Sounds like another deer. I get ready for it to get in to sight when it turns into a person. "GREAT!!!!" We ask him to help us drag the deer out. He says "Sure, just let me give my guys a call to let them know." And then we are on the way out again. So there's my dad and this other guy dragging the deer, and me right behind them with 3 rifles. I'm thinking "Yeah I really don’t want to mess with me when I'm in a bad mood." Finally about an hour or so later we are out on the main trail, nice flat ground, easy walking. We get out to the trail head in no time at all, we throw the deer in the back of the other guys truck, and head for camp. After we get the deer out of the truck we all participate in the hunting camp tradition of a shot of Jack Daniels for everyone who helped with the animal. With a shot of Jack, and hand shake and a heart and liver in the back of his truck the guy is off hunting again. Time for my dad and I to skin the deer. Come to find out the deer we shot and the 3 shots from earlier that morning came from the guy camped across from us, he wasn't too happy with us. What a great first impression. And of course us being nice and polite we did thank the guy for sending the deer our way, he didn't find it too nice, polite, or even funny. We even shared a afternoon hunt and dinner with Washington Hunter and Outdoor Chick, it was a great first day.

Oct 16th. We slept in by about 45 minutes, and hit the woods at about 7ish. I was pointing things out to my dad that he had just walked by not seeing at all. Now we are on the same trail we were on the day before, but we dropped about 40 feet below the intended trail, we ended up walking right passed the left overs from the 4 point, and of course I pointed that out too. Now for ya'll that know us you know we like to watch CSI, so we walked up to the trail we thought we were on the whole time, just to figure out what happened yesterday. We saw where the deer was standing when I shot and where he was when my dad shot. At this discovery something didn't seem right about the previous days events. Since yesterday we thought that I could have missed. Turned out that I really didn't miss but hit him in the neck right as he was coming around a pile of rocks in the trail . We continued to climb but decided that it was pointless since the weather was warm and the wind was not in our favor, the deer could smell us and get away before we would even know they were there. We hiked back down and headed for camp to prove our theory. We did an otopsy (sp) cut open the deer's neck/throat and to our surprise we find two different entry wholes and one oddly shaped exit. We ate lunch and talked with the neighbors across the way for a bit, then headed back out around 1 or so for good afternoon and evning hunt. This time we decided to walk the road all the way to the top of the mountain. We passed a few skid raod trails and some guys on quads, asked what they’ve seen if anything, they said they jumped a couple big bucks about 1/2 up the road and they were headed our way, we never saw, heard or smelled the deer. We get to the top, just to find that it was really steep. On the way back down we see our other neighbor and talked with him for a minute, to see where he was gonna go as to not mess up his chances for a nice deer. We walk down these little skid roads to see if there are any deer there or at least any sign down them. The first one proved to be a looser trail. The next one was a little better but nothing to really get excited about. The third and finally trail we walked down was great. It looked like a big game super highway, sign everywhere. My dad and I walked down this one a little ways together until the trail splits one part goes up around the top of the trail and teh other stays straight. I went on the part that stayed straight on the main trail and he went up and over, telling me that if he kicks anything down off the top to make sure its at least a 3 point and to not let it go down into the draw, since it was really steep. We get about 300 yards in on these trails when I hear this deer coming down the hill towards me, hell bent to get away. I aimed about 2 feet in front of her and hit her behind the shoulder. at that he spins, falls, gets back up and runs back up the hill towards my dad. Now after I see her go back up the hill I go forward on the trail to follow her blood trail, when I hear my dad's rifle go off, and look up just to see her tumbling down the hill to me, she stops about 20-40 feet from where I was standing. Out of my sight she slowed to a walk, which was when the first picture comes into play. (I think she would have been better off staying to where I could shoot her again.) When I see her head the first words out of my mouth were "Awwe dad you did it again, that's gross!"
All of this started at about 4:30 pm. The drag out wasn't bad, just a few tress across the trail and deep holes and such. I go ahead out to the road to flag to these 2 guys up on top that had quads, some of our neighbors, who were already planning a way to get us, the deer, and their own gear back to camp. They get down to us, help my dad with the last 50 feet of the drag, they get their gear set up, the deer on one of the quads, we take a few pictures, and we're off back to camp. We give them the heart and liver for camp meat or whatever they chose to do with it.
Back at camp we take part in the tradition of one shot of Jack for each, and of course more pictures. We skinned her out and hung her up.
What a great hunt.

Oct. 17th WE pack up and head for home, we left at about the same time as we did the Friday before. As of Sunday night my dad and I were the only people around us to get our animals.

WHAT A GREAT HUNT
Quick Draw

Quick Draw said:
I shot this deer at about 40 yards in the throat. We started to get up and so did the deer, my dad still sort of on his back shoots this deer again, but on the other side of the throat.

I aimed about 2 feet in front of her and hit her behind the shoulder. She spun, fell, got up and ran back towards my dad. Out of my sight she slowed to a walk, which was when the first picture comes into play. (I think she would have been better off staying to where I could shoot her again.) Now after I see her go back up the hill I go forward on the trail to follow her blood trail, when I look up just to see her tumbling down the hill to me, she stops about 20-40 feet from where I was standing. When I see her head the first words out of my mouth were "Awwe dad you did it again, that's gross!"

Sounds fun. That's cool that party hunting is legal in Washington :D :rolleyes:

Way to go on the deer. sounds like a good hunt, im headed out for the 2nd week.may want to change your story a little cause it sounds like you both shot the buck and both shot the doe. I dont think you can carry a rifle and say your bear hunting if youve already shot your deer in Washington during deer season.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Most of the time it is descriptive of the subject, this time it speaks volumes about the unrefined values some of you possess.

Someone is going to have to spell this one out for me. I don't quite get what all the fuss is on this one. :confused: Of course most of you get that I know f**k-all about hunting and I'm just here for the charming conversation. :rolleyes:

Either way, sure it's a gross pic, but then again I'm really girly. I don't expect a bunch of big strong men who gut these things on a regular basis are going to be much put out by that. So why the indignance? I'm lost. :confused:

I guess they're trying to show a good shot, but the red makes its more gross and not respectfull of the deer, isn't that the idea that makes people not like it.

Maybe shrink that picture and take the red out, it would still make the point about a good shot, but not be so gross.

So the bloody pic is disrespectful of the deer but the HuntTalk hats everyone puts on them is not? (no offence here I'm just playing devil's advocate)

I guess I don't see why the blood pic is disrespectful to the deer? Isn't killing the deer in the first place going to be more offensive to them?

It seems kind of an arbitrary line that's been crossed. So you can shoot the animal. They get good and bloody, fine. They are dead, no problem there. Take a picture with some of the blood and guts showing....how dare you!?!

Sounds like another one of those unwritten guy rules to me.

Mojave,
It has to do with things like respect for the animals and trying to maintain a good image of hunters. Pictures of an animal with a whiskey bottle sitting on them and their brains hanging out aren't going to improve the hunters' image among many non-hunters. As a friend put it to me today as we discussed this post in a PM:
It's no wonder we as a whole are looked at by the general non hunting public as a bunch of back woods in-bred Morons.

Oh, and I don't think everyone is posing their dead animals with hats. Oscar isn't everyone, despite what he might think. In fact, I would say most folks posting (good) pictures on here don't have a single "hat" photo. JMHO...

Congrats to the hunters...hopefully they'll show a little more taste when they post in the future.

Oak

So none of ya'll like the first pic? Would ya'll rather see a deer that has been gut shot accdently of course, and let suffer???? Its better then the picture I got in the woods. I don't feel as if it should be taken off simply because its a head shot and the deer did not suffer any longer than it had to. I shot it behind the shoulder, and if my dad wasn't there I would of had to track her who knows how long all the while the animal is in pain.

In fact 95% of all of mine and hunterman's shots on animals are either in the head or the neck, we believe that those shots are more humane and respectful to the animal that body shooting.
Quick Draw

Ma and Pa go kill some deers

I couldn't read the story. Started to, but got dizzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back