Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunter Down

AussieHunter

Ladies & Gents my choice of words is not flowing as it normally does so please excuse any errors.

Yesterday, Thursday 1st July, I found out that a friend of mine Tony Campbell lost his life whilst hunting Bull Tahr on the West Coast, South Island of New Zealand with his son Tony. It appears that he has come to grief in some steep country and subsequently died.

I am unsure of all the facts but it appears as though Tony may well have died in his sons arms. I know Anthony too and this will have a great effect on him, his mother and two sisters.

Tony was a accomplished hunter having Hunted Stone Sheep in Alaska many years ago, hunted in Africa and traveled to New Zealand many times.

He was a genuine and caring man that all ways had time to shoot the breeze and give advice if requested.

Tony, you will be sorely missed by many mate.

So be careful out there guys

Requiem

Under the wide and starry sky
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you grave for me;
"Here he lies where he longed to be,
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
And the hunter home from the hill."

Vale Tony Campbell

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-02/man-killed-in-new-zealand-described-as-true-gentleman/8583616

very sorry to hear this... thoughts and prayers out to his family, I couldn't even imagine what his son is going thru.

That's terrible and feel for his son.I couldn't even imagine.I lost a friend 15 years ago to a road rage incident and his son had to listen to his Dad burn to death trapped in his truck

While I was watching Remi Warren and Steven Rinella hunt Tahr on Meat Eater, I was thinking, "A guy could die doing that."

A pity. And yet, at least he didn't die on the couch.

Condolences to the family.

Thanks for the sentiments fellas. It is greatly appreciated. I have come to believe Hunters are alike all over this planet, kindred spirits.

And yes, at least Tony died doing what he loved. The blokes over here that know his son, Anthony, just need to ensure his son keeps hunting as I am certain Tony would have wanted that. Although that will take some time.

Stay safe blokes.

Sounds like he went out doing what he loved... prayers to the family. A real reminder that our chosen discipline is not without risk.

Just a update on this tragic event.

Anthony, Tony's son posted this a short time ago on Facebook

As most already know my father, best mate, navigator and hunting partner passed away in the mountains of New Zealand while we were hunting. He slipped and fell when we were looking for our Tahr that we had both shot. The .270 does it again he stated excitedly as we left to retrieve.

He died in my arms and forever will be in the New Zealand alps that we both shared such a passion and doing the activity that we lived for.

It has been the toughest week of my life and my family are with me and are bringing him home.

Thank you to everyone who has sent me messages of love and support.

We will be celebrating his life on Friday 9th May at 10.30 at the Christchurch Cathedral and I invite all.

Such a gutsy effort so soon when bearing such a massive emotional load.

Tony Campbell.jpg

RIP Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back