Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

Funny,

I can’t stand running. The swim portion of an Iron Man has never been a concern. I once did a 16 mile ocean race in CA when I was a swimmer. However, I hate running. The farthest I have run was a 10K and I think I cussed every time my foot hit the ground.

Different strokes I guess (yes a swimming pun). Keep at it. I am finding myself getting more addicted to working out again and it’s good for my health!

Last edited:
Good grief, you guys are allstars.

Im injured or something. My right calf gets extremely tight and Im running (and walking, at times) all gimpy. I take 2 days off, it feels better, then a mile or two into a run - at 1.5-2 min/mile slower pace, even! - it starts hurting again. Its been a couple weeks of this. I should maybe take a whole week off, but I feel like a slug if Im not exercising. No one wants to feel like a slug. Getting old is lame.
Bird man - obvious question but have you been to a running store to have the check you out? I was completely naive and had the wrong size and pronation. Fixed me up in 10 mins and have not had an issue for years.

Bird man - obvious question but have you been to a running store to have the check you out? I was completely naive and had the wrong size and pronation. Fixed me up in 10 mins and have not had an issue for years.
Not in years. I just buy (basically) the same shoe every time. Maybe it’s time again.

That’s a great run Richard, well done!

I’m going to try and make time it to a few park runs I’ve the next few months. Might even get my time recorded and try to beat my best time.

It is one year ago yesterday I fell on my hip and battled sciatica pain for months until I went for an MRI and they found the cancer.
I could not walk without pain 6 months ago. Hell I could not do much at all. Agony is an apt term.

Got up this morning after another good night of sleep and sat in the sun with a cuppa and Rio by my side. Another day.
I mounted the new flag and base to honor those that went before me.
I had another day.

Update on my progress, currently down 17 pounds total, but have added 15 pounds of muscle mass, meaning I’ve managed to drop 32 pounds of fat. No idea I was packing that much around. Weighed in at 217 the other morning.

I’ve been off the weights, I effed up my shoulder somehow, so for the last month have been doing a lot of mobility work especially trying to build that shoulder back up. Maybe I’ll be able to shoot my bow, maybe I’ll be a rifle hunter again this year.

That’s a great run Richard, well done!

I’m going to try and make time it to a few park runs I’ve the next few months. Might even get my time recorded and try to beat my best time.
Thanks, please don't, it will show how slow I am :ROFLMAO:
A woman came first 16:17! But she has run for our country in the past, and recorded the fastest park run in the UK yesterday.

@Dave N as you know I'm only 5' 9'', I was blocked by a guy who was around 6' 3'':ROFLMAO:

Sadly the vegan runner did 25:35, I need to up my game but nobody else runs in my village and I like the company these days just in case.....

Last edited:
Marathon race day is here. Ran a 326 in the Burlington Vermont marathon last year. Gonna go for a BQ today, it's going to be a stretch, based off how I felt leading up to this I can confidently run a 310 but have to atleast try for 3 hours flat.

Probably about to push off if you haven’t already, but just in case- good luck man!

This is what I’m taking about with the discrepancies between my watch and phone.

That’s a pretty crazy discrepancy. By looking at your route, with the amount of twists and turns I wonder if you need to change the settings on your watch to update location more often?

Check to see if it’s set to SMART recording- if so, change it to update every second. In the image, the SMART recoding is the top one, and you can see how this might cause an issue with a non-linear route like the one you did. This explains it more (click “Recording Method” tab):

Garmin

If that’s not it, I’m at a bit of a loss as to what could be causing that.

Attachments

• 3B95E0D0-B8D0-46FF-8980-4E6B10EA04FF.png
    3B95E0D0-B8D0-46FF-8980-4E6B10EA04FF.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 4
That’s a pretty crazy discrepancy. By looking at your route, with the amount of twists and turns I wonder if you need to change the settings on your watch to update location more often?

Check to see if it’s set to SMART recording- if so, change it to update every second. In the image, the SMART recoding is the top one, and you can see how this might cause an issue with a non-linear route like the one you did. This explains it more (click “Recording Method” tab):

Garmin

If that’s not it, I’m at a bit of a loss as to what could be causing that.
To enjoy the run or ride?
But then how would I brag about my long rides and provide inspiration and motivation to fellow hunttalkers?

The only reason it somewhat bothers me is because the people I ride with use their phones or bike computers and post what I would refer to as “doped stats” and make it look like they’re beating me.

Back