Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

Took the past two days off, on the road for a kids swim meet. Had to make up for it today. Did a ‘self-half’- yes it’s slow, but I’m slow. And it was on trails. And I saw Dave and we shot the shit for a while…

We had a lot of talks about goals on the way to the meet. On the way out the door, my daughter asked “now what’s your goal today, dad?” Starting to sink in I hope.

I would have crawled over glass today to finish it if I had to after she said that😀

364FCDB2-3B18-4A03-95B7-A48E24305679.jpeg

Good grief, you guys are allstars.

Im injured or something. My right calf gets extremely tight and Im running (and walking, at times) all gimpy. I take 2 days off, it feels better, then a mile or two into a run - at 1.5-2 min/mile slower pace, even! - it starts hurting again. Its been a couple weeks of this. I should maybe take a whole week off, but I feel like a slug if Im not exercising. No one wants to feel like a slug. Getting old is lame.

I'm like you, I could care less about the social media aspect of it, so I haven't jumped on the Strava bandwagon. I use a cheap watch to track my heart rate, even though I know it's terribly inaccurate. And to track my mileage I just use my OnX tracker. It keeps track of my mileage and elevation loss/gain.
Same, I broke a couple of fitbits so now and then I just stopped carrying about the distance so I don’t even use that, I have a loop that takes 1hr, one that’s like 2hrs and then I can add some and make it 3 or 4 or whatever.

Kinda just go by what my family is up too and how much time I have.

BirdManMike, how old are your shoes? Tight hamstrings?
This year's shoes - from late December or early Jan. I buy a new pair every year.

Legs, in general, are a little tight and feel heavy when running. Might be on account the gimpy running from the calf pain. 🤷‍♂️

Well, I’m jumping into this post post all my surgeries.

Goals - Get down to 235, build cardio, build leg strength

Actions - Bike or spin daily (I can’t run due to knees.), yoga in the AM, 3D shoot or ruck 3 times a week, eat greens every day, drink a minimum of 64 oz of water a day, cut out the sweets, and drink Coors Light… I LOVE a good IPA.

Reward - Not feel like a broken pile of ol’ bones and muscles

This year's shoes - from late December or early Jan. I buy a new pair every year.

Legs, in general, are a little tight and feel heavy when running. Might be on account the gimpy running from the calf pain. 🤷‍♂️
this is kinda weird, but I've been sitting down in the shower and doing the old touch your toes calf stretch every morning for about 3 weeks now and my legs feel better and my flexibility for at least that one stretch has definitely improved.
3 sets of 30-45 seconds.

I think that a great stretch and I do it in the shower too- standing toe touches for me.

I used to work with a spine surgeon and he mentioned once that a lot of lower back and lower extremity pain came from hamstring issues, I’ve been doing that stretch ever since.

My fat ass fell back into a rut of excuses. We leave for a quick work backpack trip in 15 minutes. 5 miles in, get in a couple plots then 5 miles out. Then I join the HuntTalk Bear Hunt crew Wednesday night with hopes they're all out of shape (which we know they're all in great shape).

Good grief, you guys are allstars.

Im injured or something. My right calf gets extremely tight and Im running (and walking, at times) all gimpy. I take 2 days off, it feels better, then a mile or two into a run - at 1.5-2 min/mile slower pace, even! - it starts hurting again. Its been a couple weeks of this. I should maybe take a whole week off, but I feel like a slug if Im not exercising. No one wants to feel like a slug. Getting old is lame.
My first thought was shoes, but it sounds like you're okay there unless your arch is flattening out and you need more support. My next thought is to get a foam roller for your upper legs and a stick roller for your lower legs. Often pain doesn't show up at the point of procuring cause, it could be a quadriceps weakness, for example.

I do those two rollers daily, in addition to a Theragun, even on vacation if I drive so can take it in the truck. If I start skipping rolling, I'm screwed and start pulling up gimp... sometimes in less than a mile. If I stay on my rolling, I can run as much as I want. It's critical to my legs.

This is the stick roller I use and it works well.

I went through about four foam rollers before I found a good one...

PS. I don't know where your calf pain is, but my IT pain will sometimes flare up on the outside of my calf muscles.

Last edited:
Same, I broke a couple of fitbits so now and then I just stopped carrying about the distance so I don’t even use that, I have a loop that takes 1hr, one that’s like 2hrs and then I can add some and make it 3 or 4 or whatever.

Kinda just go by what my family is up too and how much time I have.
Knowing that your the data king of hunttalk this is an utterly shocking revelation

After doing a big race in February I’ve been lazy since then. But over the last week have decided to get back into training for a half Ironman in Taupo NZ in December. Will be good fitness for WY elk in September as a bonus.

Did a 5km park run last Saturday and been running each day since. Added a couple of kms each day and feeling good. Initial 5km was probably about 24 mins and pace has increase along with the distance.

Anyone else planning a half or full Ironman?

Anyone else planning a half or full Ironman?

One of a few bucket list things for me. Some day…

I just read about how Dick Hoyt (RIP, look him up if you don’t know who he is) would pull his disabled son in a raft for 2+ miles during the swim portion. I think he completed 6 full Iron Man’s with his son in tow. Animal.

Dick Hoyt.

Last edited:
Back