Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

Sorry to disappoint Dougster, no Strava for me (and won’t).

It’s kind of funny to note the difference between forums- this one, with normal people vs a running forum like LetsRun. A 40 mile week to those runner nerds is nothing, 80-100 mile weeks are what they consider high mileage. I often wonder how they find the time for that, but then again they are probably quite a bit faster.
I bet they shoot less critters than we do though…. Losers!

Sorry to disappoint Dougster, no Strava for me (and won’t).

It’s kind of funny to note the difference between forums- this one, with normal people vs a running forum like LetsRun. A 40 mile week to those runner nerds is nothing, 80-100 mile weeks are what they consider high mileage. I often wonder how they find the time for that, but then again they are probably quite a bit faster.
I've never frequented let's run, but I hear it might be the rokslide of running forums??😂

My biggest week ever is 59 mi and it's just too much damn time running 45 is my sweet spot to balance family work and sleep, less obviously is nice too!

Ok Douglas, you have me a bit intrigued. What do you like about Strava? I’m not really interested in the “social media” aspect of it- I don’t really care that much about what other people are doing, and not that important for me to share what I’m doing for me to get another app just for that.

Are there other parts of it that you do find useful? I could see some of the data collection being helpful or at least interesting, but I haven’t really ever looked into it very seriously. It is very possible I’m missing the boat on Strava and/or Garmin Connect (I do have a compatible Garmin watch but don’t have a chest strap yet and don’t think the wrist based heart rate monitor is very accurate).

Last edited:
Ok Douglas, you have me a bit intrigued. What do you like about Strava? I’m not really interested in the “social media” aspect of it- I don’t really care that much about what other people are doing, and not that important for me to share what I’m doing for me to get another app just for that.

Are there other parts of it that you do find useful? I could see some of the data collection being helpful or at least interesting, but I haven’t really ever looked into it very seriously. It is very possible I’m missing the boat on Strava and/or Garmin Connect (I do have a compatible Garmin watch but don’t have a chest strap yet and don’t think the wrist based heart rate monitor is very accurate).

I like it for the stats tracking/comparison. I just use the free version of Strava and Garmin connect. Wear a Garmin instinct 2 for tracking.

Because it lets the mtb cucks know I’m in better shape than them.

Strava and connect are very comparable.
My garmin watch always reads less miles and vert than my phone running the strava app 🤷‍♂️

I'm like you, I could care less about the social media aspect of it, so I haven't jumped on the Strava bandwagon. I use a cheap watch to track my heart rate, even though I know it's terribly inaccurate. And to track my mileage I just use my OnX tracker. It keeps track of my mileage and elevation loss/gain.

Auto stop is 100% cheating imo.

Auto stop would have greatly improved my time for this week… two #2 breaks were captured in their entirety in my new Garmin Connect profile weekly run time.

I will admit, this is kind of cool… just do not want to get sucked into running faster than I should to impress others (which is 100% something I would do), I have a long term goal that would not be helpful for.

Anyway, here is my week:

D1C7C6D4-3878-4FBA-BF68-53A574C699F9.jpeg

Auto stop would have greatly improved my time for this week… two #2 breaks were captured in their entirety in my new Garmin Connect profile weekly run time.

I will admit, this is kind of cool… just do not want to get sucked into running faster than I should to impress others (which is 100% something I would do), I have a long term goal that would not be helpful for.

Anyway, here is my week:

View attachment 275845
Are you training for something or is this your normal routine?

I just use perceived effort, that way every run and bike is a success :)

I do track my distance closely just to try to hit weekly goals, but I agree with you here and I think there is really something to that especially from an aerobic zone training perspective.

From what I’ve read, it’s wise to run 80% or more of your weekly miles at a “conversational” pace- perceived effort is probably as accurate as any other measure for hobby joggers like us.

Are you training for something or is this your normal routine?

This is a bit more than last year, or I should say it’s earlier in the year for the miles. Last year I was hitting 40 by end of summer, but not this early.

And yes, training for something that seems very far away right now but gets closer every week I do my job.

From what I’ve read, it’s wise to run 80% or more of your weekly miles at a “conversational” pace- perceived effort is probably as accurate as any other measure for hobby joggers like us.
I always found that to be walking 🤣 never got to that point in my running journey I guess

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back