PEAX Equipment

HUNT TALK TRUCK/BAG DUMP - WHAT IS YOUR "MUST HAVE" ELK HUNTING EQUIPMENT??

Cash. Unfortunately, not everybody you come across is willing to jump in and help should you break down or get stuck.

I keep $400 - $500 in my emergency kit bag. ATM's are in short supply at 9,000 ft. and many small town mechanics don't take credit cards.

I travel from the east coast to the west to hunt 4 or 5 times a year. The only time I usually fly is for spring bear. A lot of these trips are also solo.

Below are things I always have in/on the truck.
Winch
Snatch block
2 spare tires.
Plug kits
Jack x2
Tools
A good air compressor
Jump box
Emergency kit
Extra food
Chain
Rope
Impact wrench
4' piece of pipe if something gets real stubborn.
Extra water
Extra fuel

Thats regular truck stuff I can think of off the top of my head that goes on every trip. Obviously, thats stuff is more for the travel portion of the hunt then the actual hunt but for me its usually 25+hrs each way. I usually backpack in when I get there but I can't tell you how often Ive used alot of that stuff and I dont drive some old beat up truck. Stuff just happens and sometimes Im a long ways from anything. I also always have an inreach.
I am traveling 28hrs from just above you in NC... I really appreciate that list.

Two things:

*Border. Not boarder. You troglodytes.

2.) Case of Natty light. You guys are awful truck hunters.

If you intend to keep elk hunting....The 4 of you could pitch in to buy a good, warm, comfortable camp. A spacious cabin tent, with a wood stove and a comfortable bed, er I mean “cot” goes far to enjoy your hunt. A lot of time, gas wasted to go back and forth staying at a motel.

Get a good kill kit together. The Gerber “big game” works well for pulling off the cape. I bring two very sharp fixed blade knives that I can steel and keep cutting. I use Kevlar gloves underneath rubber gloves. Replacing blades with the gloves on and all bloody doesn’t work out very well for me...but each to his own. A small light weight tarp or heavy plastic sheet works well for turning the elk over in mud or snow. I put my tag in the kill kit. A long lasting headlamp works well.

As @Werty mentioned above, never quit until you're outta time.

And for me to have a "never quit attitude," I need good sleep. I don't function well with no sleep.
So I bring whatever is required for me to sleep well, whether it be a backpack hunt or a truck hunt.

If the snow is deep are rubber boots recommended? Like Muck boots? Or should you stick with a good pair of lace up, waterproof boots, with better support/tread/etc..

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back