Hunt elk every year - a primer

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
An elk hunt planning article I wrote based on the many emails I had sorted into the folder of "Elk questions." I wanted to show people that you can hunt elk every year, and if you plan accordingly, you can hunt some really good areas every five years. It doesn't answer all the questions and since much of it is my personal experience you might have a different idea. For those trying to get more into elk hunting, it might be helpful.

http://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/budget-101-how-to-hunt-elk-every-year?utm_source=hootsuite

Hope you find something worthy of your ten minute time investment to read it.

Very nice summary article, I will forward the link to some younger guys I know.

One minor point; I had heard AZ was considering splitting the NR tag limits so 5% would slip past the "max point" round, giving everyone a chance (albeit slim) of drawing the premium hunts (e.g. strip deer). I don't know the status of this potential change, but last I read made it sound very likely.

You know anything about this?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the article. Makes me excited just thinking about which unit I should try to cash my points in on for in Wyoming!

I enjoyed the article. This is the time of year I get serious about planning next fall's hunts, lining out Plan A, B, C and so on..

Good article Randy.

I can't figure out why my wife tells me to cook my own darned meals when I go hunting.

Great summary of the reality of planning a NR elk hunt, thanks. I feel this type of info really helps those who may struggle with the logistics of a long distance hunt each year, whether it be vacation time, money, age, etc.

Loved this article, gives some of us young broke midwest guys an insight into hunting out west every year. I may have to try that Colorado OTC tag in 2017

I had no idea that NM refunded the hunting license fee if you don't draw.Since I'd be going diy the odds are low so never entered.Figured I'd just be throwing out license fee cash.I WILL enter this year now

Great article it really puts thing on to a simpler plane for me as a flatlander to try to do a elk hunt every year, which I kinda thought was impossible for me but a hundred bucks a month is very doable.

I had no idea that NM refunded the hunting license fee if you don't draw.

Just FYI you have to check the appropriate box somewhere in the application process, I don't think it defaults to a refund.

I had no idea that NM refunded the hunting license fee if you don't draw.Since I'd be going diy the odds are low so never entered.Figured I'd just be throwing out license fee cash.I WILL enter this year now

NM also has mule deer hunting, which can be a lot easier to draw.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back