Caribou Gear

Hunt elk every year - a primer

Great summary of the reality of planning a NR elk hunt, thanks. I feel this type of info really helps those who may struggle with the logistics of a long distance hunt each year, whether it be vacation time, money, age, etc.

Yup, the vacation time is my limiting factor..

Thanks for the summary and the go hunt attitude. I don't think I am going to be able to let the elk thing go. I thought I could but now I'm not so sure at all. Still think about it all the time.
HD

You make it seem so easy!

The struggle for me right now with kids 10, 8 and 5 it is more the time factor. I could financially make Do it yourself trips yearly work but I don't have the time to do it. Therefore doing one every few years tends to lead to not being successful.

I have a few spots I have been applying so one of these days I will cash some points in. I also struggle with finding someone to go with. My main hunting partner doesn't have a lot of interest, my dad is to out of shape. I have an uncle and cousin that go every few years but they do the rifle season in CO. I don't like fighting the pumpkin army.

My college roommate and his dad do CO archery every year and they are pretty successful. I may do a hunt next year with them so I get more experience.

The way I look at it is that I only live once, and I already got a late start elk hunting. Even at 32 years old, my elk seasons are limited. If I don't go every chance I get, I WILL regret it one day. Three years ago I canceled my cable TV. That saved about $700.00 each year. I don't go to bars and seldom eat out at a restaurant. A case of beer lasts me about 4 months. While my friends are buying new bows every year or two, I buy a used one every 7 or 8 years. It is very easy to find places to sacrifice and save enough to do an elk hunt each year. It also helps that I have an understanding wife who knows how much it means to me to get out to the mountains to chase bugles. She also knows how crabby I'd be if I was stuck at home mowing lawn the third week of September, so I think she's happy to have me out of the house.

As many of the hunters I grew up with grow older, I don't know a single one of them who wishes they'd have hunted less.

I go one way or another every year now.
Lucky, I'm a couple jumps ahead now living where I do.
It was always part of the plan.
Got the land,the view,the local critters everywhere....
One ? now Randy? .........where do I find an understanding woman to live in such a remote spot? LOL

"In Colorado, try not to accumulate many elk points. The marginal benefit to each point is very small once you get above five points. Burn those points and go hunt."

That's the truth. I'm at 7 points now, will wait until I have 8, and have a plan to hunt 2016. Should be able to get into a 350 class bull for 8 points in CO.

Good read indeed. Been on a similar plan the last 10 years for deer, elk, and pronghorn. Over time, you get a surprise tag and/or a premium type tag for something here or there if you persist with applying. I like knowing I can go somewhere and hunt whether I draw or not.

I realized I'd be happier just hunting instead of waiting 20 years for a CO elk. Only upside for those of us in our 30's or younger is that a lot of the older guys will keel over or give up before they draw some of these tags. I'm kidding of course.

The real upside for those of you in your 20's & 30's is that you can move to elk country and hunt every year. I did that long ago and highly recommend it.

Great article, I'm really glad I came across that. I'm 26 years old, have 2 points each in Colorado, Wyoming and Utah. I want to try to hunt elk every year along with experience a limited entry unit every few years or so, this will help me get some planning under my belt

What would you do? In 2016 I plan to take my father (62) and my son (14) on their first elk hunts. I was fortunate enough to kill a nice bull in CO in 2012. This will be there first trip west ever. My Dad is an experienced hunter and is in good shape, but he can not backpack hunt - his hips wont take it. We will have to have horses.

We have three points for WY. Should I cash these in on a LQ hunt in WY, or should I do an OTC in CO, or maybe some other option.

I am struggling to determine which route to follow here. What would you do? Thanks!

What would you do? In 2016 I plan to take my father (62) and my son (14) on their first elk hunts. I was fortunate enough to kill a nice bull in CO in 2012. This will be there first trip west ever. My Dad is an experienced hunter and is in good shape, but he can not backpack hunt - his hips wont take it. We will have to have horses.

We have three points for WY. Should I cash these in on a LQ hunt in WY, or should I do an OTC in CO, or maybe some other option.

I am struggling to determine which route to follow here. What would you do? Thanks!

Since you have horses, you are in a much better situation. You should be able to get your Dad to most places and do so with a lot less struggle than the backpack crowd. Not sure if you have three points in WY, or your group averages three points.

I would not hesitate to burn those points in Wyoming. A 3-point unit in Wyoming is usually a really quality experience, with less hunting pressure than you will likely encounter in CO.

I assume you are talking about rifle, not archery. I would apply to a unit in WY and if not drawn, use CO as your fall back option. You will have your WY results well in advance of having to make a decision on CO.

Good luck.

Since you have horses, you are in a much better situation. You should be able to get your Dad to most places and do so with a lot less struggle than the backpack crowd. Not sure if you have three points in WY, or your group averages three points.

I would not hesitate to burn those points in Wyoming. A 3-point unit in Wyoming is usually a really quality experience, with less hunting pressure than you will likely encounter in CO.

I assume you are talking about rifle, not archery. I would apply to a unit in WY and if not drawn, use CO as your fall back option. You will have your WY results well in advance of having to make a decision on CO.

Good luck.

Thanks Randy. This helps a great deal. We all three have the points - started planning this years ago for his retirement. I'll start pounding the WY research over the holidays.

You said three points should get us a good hunt - were you referring to a general area or a LQ area? Looks like with 3 points we could go either way.

Thanks again - big help.

Thanks Randy. This helps a great deal. We all three have the points - started planning this years ago for his retirement. I'll start pounding the WY research over the holidays.

You said three points should get us a good hunt - were you referring to a general area or a LQ area? Looks like with 3 points we could go either way.

Thanks again - big help.

Depends on if you go Regular or Special. If you go regular, you are probably looking at the general areas, with points to spare. If you go Special, you could draw a few of the units I know to be worth three points, based on personal experience.

Not sure if you are dead set on going to WY this year, but if you go the Regular draw and do not draw, four points will get you a notch higher for the next season. Plus, your son can get in for the lower priced youth tag if you go Regular.

PM coming your way.

I hunt elk every year with no points, and I never hunt OTC tags/units. Only cost $49.

Do your research. It's not hard to figure out.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back