Howa

duckhunt

Talking to a guy about buying a Howa. I dont know much about em but they seem to be popular with you western guys. What is it about Howa you guys like so much? Here in Iowa I use shotguns and muzzleloaders so buying a rifle will only be used for going west. Its a 30 06 with a vx scope.

Howa rifles are a great value when you look at the quality you get for your $, they have a good smooth action, they're accurate, etc. Howa did come out with a new trigger that is user adjustable I believe, the one I have was a little too heavy on trigger pull, but the new one is supposed to be much improved. If it's a few years old the one you're looking at will probably have the older trigger, if so just see if it feels good to you, I switched my trigger out for an aftermarket one. The .30-06 is a very versatile caliber.

Talking to a guy about buying a Howa. I dont know much about em but they seem to be popular with you western guys. What is it about Howa you guys like so much? Here in Iowa I use shotguns and muzzleloaders so buying a rifle will only be used for going west. Its a 30 06 with a vx scope.

For the price that you pay and the accuracy that they are capable of you get a very good bang for your money spent. It is nothing more or less than a weatherby.

I would try one but it is dang near impossible to buy a reasonable priced rifle in our area/sporting goods stores where you can buy a rifle only but have to buy a package - rifle comes with rings, bases, and a cheap scope already mounted. This seems to be the new marketing gimmick of gun manufacturers and howa and savage seem to be leading the charge in our area. I need another set of cheap rings, bases and another Mickey Mouse scope like I need a third ear. I was in 3 of our local retail stores this past week - there must be 50 different howa's for sale in package deals with no choice for just a bare rifle.

I have shot with a number of guys that have howa's and without exception they are not bad at all and if they ever start just marketing bare rifles I will try one - until then, they can keep their cheap bases, rings and scopes.

I asked this very question on here about 9 months ago. I wound up buying a Howa 1500 in .308. My elk hunt got cancelled due to work obligations, but I can say that it is a tack driver. Very nice bolt. The trigger is user adjustable (2 adjustable screws), but mine has been fine out of the box. If the price is right, I'd say go for it.

I have a few of they 1500's and they are great guns. I'd say buy it if the price is right, you won't be disappointed at all. They are great shooting guns!

They are solid rifles at an attractive pricepoint but to say they are more or less a Weatherby is a stretch. Weatherby brands them Vanguard. I've purchased a couple of Vanguards as gifts...owners like them.

For the price that you pay and the accuracy that they are capable of you get a very good bang for your money spent. It is nothing more or less than a weatherby.

Weatherby Vanguards are re-badged Howas. The actual weatherby built rifles are a completely different gun.

I'd hold one before you buy it, I've never been a fan of the ergonomics of them. They feel bulky to me.

You can buy a Howa without the scope/rings etc. Go to their website and you will see what is available.

Weatherby uses the Howa barreled actions for their Vanguard rifles.

I have now been shooting them for three years. They shoot great. We have killed a lot of critters with them at some very long ranges.

The Hogue stock has a different feel. I like it. In cold or wet weather, it is a huge plus over most synthetic stocks. Also, the rubber molding deadens sounds that many of the other synthetic stocks seem to amplify.

The price to accuracy ratio of a Howa is hard to beat.

I've never owned a howa or vanguard, but both were on my short list last year.

A good friend of mine has several and has "sold" quite of few of his buddies/relatives on them. I've seen those rifles in action on the range and in the field. Pretty impressive for the price, pretty impressive for any price. All the rifles my friend has, and the ones he's recommended to his buddies, he's bedded, floated, done some trigger work on. Under MOA accuracy on every single one.

As to the hogue stocks, if you dont like them (I personally like others better), you can bed them in a, pretty much drop in, Bell and Carlson relatively cheaply.

IMO, if howa offered a B&C type stock...they'd own the market.

I also commend them on the youth model with a larger stock for when the 'yute' is not longer a 'yute'. My oldest would be getting one this summer if they offered them in left hand. Randy, could you put that bug in their ear! :D Right now Savage, Remington and Browning are the only ones that offer a left hand youth rifle.

I also commend them on the youth model with a larger stock for when the 'yute' is not longer a 'yute'. My oldest would be getting one this summer if they offered them in left hand. Randy, could you put that bug in their ear! :D Right now Savage, Remington and Browning are the only ones that offer a left hand youth rifle.

The "bug in their ear" right now is very exciting. If it gets beyond the preliminary design phase, it is going to be a big splash, with the same price/accuracy ratio that makes Howa such a great rifle. ;)

After that is done, I will suggest they work on the left-handed youth idea.

The "bug in their ear" right now is very exciting. If it gets beyond the preliminary design phase, it is going to be a big splash, with the same price/accuracy ratio that makes Howa such a great rifle. ;)

After that is done, I will suggest they work on the left-handed youth idea.
Good deal! I used to roll my eyes at the complaints of left handed shooters. Now I'm tasked with outfitting one and I kinda see their point...:eek:

I own a number of Vanguards, mostly due to being lucky at banquets. They all shoot great groups with factory ammo and really great groups with handloads.

I have shoot a number of Howa's and out of the box prefer them over the Vanguard, I have used a Howa on my last four western hunts and really like the Hogue stock. I agree 100% that they are the best price/accuracy/toughness value in the market place.

If your local dealer doesn't have any in stock they should be able to get one from a distributor fairly quickly. Some models (stainless) seem to be selling quite well and are difficult to get in some calibers.

If your dealer won't look for one then do an internet search and you will find a bunch of reputable sources to order a Howa and have it shipped to a local FFL for pickup.

Sounds like I cant go wrong with a Howa. I shot it a few times last summer and it seamed to be a nice shooting gun.

I have put two of these on Vanguards, barreled action dropped right in.

Bell and Carlson Medalist, Weatherby style stock

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/

#6501 Weatherby Vanguard L/A(two locking lug)
#6505 Weatherby Vanguard S/A(two locking lug)

They shot great as is, but being anal I bedded them anyway. I am sure that a Howa would drop right in also.............

Picked the Howa up today. Its a model 1500 30 06 with a NCStar 6x25 scope. Paid 350. I thought it was a pretty good deal. Never posted pictures before, I will try tomorrow.

Great shooting rifles with smooth action,I bought my first one about 20 yrs. ago in 7mm and also have one in 22-250 with the hogue stock.In my opinion the hogue stock is very comfortable.

I've got a .243 that came as a package with scope and rings, shoots great and I love the synthetic stock, feels great no matter the weather.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back