Howa vs Tikka and Sportsman Warehouse

Illinifan1

I have been eyeing either the Randy Howa or a Tikka T3x Lite for my first big game rifle. IL does not allow the use of rifles during deer season so I haven't had much use for one until I made the decision this spring to start DIY hunting out west.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has shot both and your thoughts comparing the 2 guns. I like a lot about the Howa, but really was wanting a 3x15 scope, not a 3x9. Is anyone curious if Sportsman Warehouse would do a scope swap for a vx5 and not charge me for both scopes?

I have a weatherby vanguard 2 barreled action which is a Howa 1500 made for WBY in a HS precision stock (which makes this essentially the same gun as the Howa Randy) and 4 Tikka T3X lite SS. I love all of them. All 5 shot MOA out of the box and better with handloads. My Tikkas are in B&C stocks (as I don’t like the feel of the Tikka factory stocks - although they are the best factory plastic stocks by a fair margin). The tikkas are lighter and a little smoother but the WBY/Howa is sweet too.

If I wasn’t mountain hiking and wanted an out of the box solution I would grab the Howa Randy. If I needed to shed a pound or two, wanted to mess with swapping stocks, picking scope and mounting it, I would go Tikka.

As for scopes, I don’t know Sportsman’s policies but I doubt they would swap scopes at no fee. But 9x is plenty of mag for a new western bug game hunter as hopefully you plan on keeping your shots to a reasonable distance at least for a while. I rarely hunt with full zoom on my 15x and 18x scopes and tend to turn them back to 8x for shots in the field. The extra zoom is nice for the range though.

I can't help you with the rifles, but can comment on the scopes. I have hunted out west for deer and antelope with fixed 6x mag scopes for several years. I would not hesitate to go back to one. I currently run 2-7, 3-9x, and 2-10x scopes on all my hunting rigs, and they are all set on 5-6x 90% of the time. I promise you that you don't "need" a 15x scope. Personally, I don't want one.

Don't let the package 3-9 discourage you if you want the Howa.

I can't speak to the Howa. However, I got my Tikka at Sportsmen's, and love it. Sportsmen sells the Fluted Stainless in the normal black/dark grey stock- the only place you can get that rifle. Right around 6lbs out of the box, which with a scope, bipod, sling etc, still makes for an easy carrying rifle. Accuracy is great.
3-9x will be plenty for most hunting scenarios, but as stated above, the added magnification is nice for the range. Howa has a good reputation, so I don't think you can go wrong with either. Whichever feels right in your hands and matches your price point should be the choice.

A lot of good feedback, like I said in post #1 I haven't had any experience hunting with a rifle and until last year my deer gun was a 870 express with iron sites. So as for magnification I am somewhat ignorant without any experience. My goal is practice enough to have an effective range of 400 yards. If a 3x9 can get that job done, then the Howa it is.

The Tikka is probably a better quality rifle, but be careful going light. Recoil increases and accuracy can decrease.
You don’t need that much scope. When the animal looks real small at 9x, it’s probably too far.

The Howa Randy Newberg edition is for someone who is going to buy it and use it as-is. Great quality components that make up a great kit, but you could buy all of the components individually and put them together for close to the same price (you’d have to pay a smith for the cerakote). If you don’t like one of the components (scope) but like everything else then buy what you like and put it together.

You don’t NEED a scope with any more magnification than the 3-9 (I honestly thought that it was a 3.5-10, but could be wrong) that comes on it. I only use scopes in that range, but could appreciate a VX5 3-15 for range shooting. Regardless, always keep the scope magnification turned down in the field or it will eventually cost you a shot on an animal.

I personally love the Tikka T3 Lite SS 30-06 that I have, but I’m not a huge fan of the superlites with the fluted barrels. The flutes throw off the balance for me, as I like a little more weight over my hand. They are great guns otherwise, and some people like them that way. The T3Xs have better stocks than what came on my T3 (along with a few other upgrades), and mine was still better than all other similar factory synthetic stocks in that price range. Mine got a few plastic bags shoved into the hollow cavity (lightweight noise deadener) when I replaced the useless recoil pad with a limbsaver, and also got a textured spray paint camo treatment to add a little grip, but it is still very functional. I will someday own a T3X, probably in .270 Win, and it will likely receive the same recoil pad and paint job, while leaving everything else stock.

I think that this one will come down to fit and preference, but both are very good quality rifles that should serve you well for years to come, despite your residency in the People’s Republic of Illinois.

Last edited:
The Howa Randy Newberg edition is for someone who is going to buy it and use it as-is. Great quality components that make up a great kit, but you could buy all of the components individually and put them together for close to the same price (you’d have to pay a smith for the cerakote). If you don’t like one of the components (scope) but like everything else then buy what you like and put it together.

You don’t NEED a scope with any more magnification than the 3-9 (I honestly thought that it was a 3.5-10, but could be wrong) that comes on it. I only use scopes in that range, but could appreciate a VX5 3-15 for range shooting. Regardless, always keep the scope magnification turned down in the field or it will eventually cost you a shot on an animal.

I personally love the Tikka T3 Lite SS 30-06 that I have, but I’m not a huge fan of the superlites with the fluted barrels. The flutes throw off the balance for me, as I like a little more weight over my hand. They are great guns otherwise, and some people like them that way. The T3Xs have better stocks than what came on my T3 (along with a few other upgrades), and mine was still better than all other similar factory synthetic stocks in that price range. Mine got a few plastic bags shoved into the hollow cavity (lightweight noise deadener) when I replaced the useless recoil pad with a limbsaver, and also got a textured spray paint camo treatment to add a little grip, but it is still very functional. I will someday own a T3X, probably in .270 Win, and it will likely receive the same recoil pad and paint job, while leaving everything else stock.

I think that this one will come down to fit and preference, but both are very good quality rifles that should serve you well for years to come, despite your residency in the People’s Republic of Illinois.
I just pulled the Howa up again on SW and you are correct 3.5x10 mag. I still think either rifle will do the job. With how accurate both rifle brands claim to be, it will end up being my time shooting that will determine how accurate I can be.

Another vote for Tikka. I have 2 and they tend to be my go-to's. Very accurate, light weight - which is important for how I usually hunt. And I know a lot of people who default to replacing factory triggers, I can see that with a lot of guns, but I really like Tikka triggers. They're easy to adjust down to 2.5lb, which is lower than most would go for a hunting rifle, just a good consistent, single-stage trigger.

As to Howa, I've never shot a Randy model, but I did have one some years back in a 25-06. It was a shooter too. A little heavier than I like. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but I never got all that attached and wound up trading for something else. I've owned a couple of more newer Vanguards and I'm pretty indifferent about them. They're OK.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either, but I'd lean toward Tikka. Hard to find anything not to like about them right out of the box except maybe the stock. The stocks are very functional, but could be upgraded.

why a 3x15 scope? I admittedly gravitate to 4x12 but the high magnification is mostly for the range. I usually don't dial it up more than 9 or 10x in hunting, but I don't plan on shooting game thats a mile away. 350yds is about as far as I generally would shoot. Maybe 400 under really stable conditions.

Another vote for Tikka. I have 2 and they tend to be my go-to's. Very accurate, light weight - which is important for how I usually hunt. And I know a lot of people who default to replacing factory triggers, I can see that with a lot of guns, but I really like Tikka triggers. They're easy to adjust down to 2.5lb, which is lower than most would go for a hunting rifle, just a good consistent, single-stage trigger.

As to Howa, I've never shot a Randy model, but I did have one some years back in a 25-06. It was a shooter too. A little heavier than I like. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but I never got all that attached and wound up trading for something else. I've owned a couple of more newer Vanguards and I'm pretty indifferent about them. They're OK.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either, but I'd lean toward Tikka. Hard to find anything not to like about them right out of the box except maybe the stock. The stocks are very functional, but could be upgraded.

why a 3x15 scope? I admittedly gravitate to 4x12 but the high magnification is mostly for the range. I usually don't dial it up more than 9 or 10x in hunting, but I don't plan on shooting game thats a mile away. 350yds is about as far as I generally would shoot. Maybe 400 under really stable conditions.
The 15 power magnification was for practice. Luckily I have access to practice shooting at long ranges and wanted to make sure that I am capable of shooting hopefully around the 400 yard mark. I still am bouncing back and forth. I don't think their is anything wrong with either. Planning on a 308 caliber either way and don't have plans to hunt moose or griz for a long time (I'm 28 right now). So a 300WM or larger caliber doesn't seem necessary. I have noticed a ton of Tikka fans both on this forum and others.

The 15 power magnification was for practice. Luckily I have access to practice shooting at long ranges and wanted to make sure that I am capable of shooting hopefully around the 400 yard mark. I still am bouncing back and forth. I don't think their is anything wrong with either. Planning on a 308 caliber either way and don't have plans to hunt moose or griz for a long time (I'm 28 right now). So a 300WM or larger caliber doesn't seem necessary. I have noticed a ton of Tikka fans both on this forum and others.
I'm also a big fan of the .308. it's plenty of gun for just about anything and there's a lot you can do with them. One of my Tikkas is a .308 and I've shot every Western game animal with it at one point or another and it does the job. I've never hunted moose or griz, but if I ever draw a moose tag that's probably the one I'd go with. .308 is a very good general-purpose big game cartridge and there is every kind of ammo imaginable out there available for it.

Usually once someone has shot a Tikka, they're fans for life. Can't beat the quality and accuracy for the price point. The only thing I would say you'd want to replace on it, is the recoil pad. Swapped for a limbsaver, I can watch my impacts out of my 7mm Rem Mag at 400 and beyond. I imagine in a .308 you'd be able to watch your own bullet trace. Outside of that, the stock, although cheap (it's the only real difference between the Tikka and the more expensive Sako), is functional and light. The action, trigger and barrels are what keeps us Tikka buyers going back. I know I am biased, but I think the Tikka makes a great platform to grow in to and upgrade over the years. The Howa is probably a great introductory rifle as well, but if you're not in love with the components... buy nice or buy twice.

Usually once someone has shot a Tikka, they're fans for life. Can't beat the quality and accuracy for the price point. The only thing I would say you'd want to replace on it, is the recoil pad. Swapped for a limbsaver, I can watch my impacts out of my 7mm Rem Mag at 400 and beyond. I imagine in a .308 you'd be able to watch your own bullet trace. Outside of that, the stock, although cheap (it's the only real difference between the Tikka and the more expensive Sako), is functional and light. The action, trigger and barrels are what keeps us Tikka buyers going back. I know I am biased, but I think the Tikka makes a great platform to grow in to and upgrade over the years. The Howa is probably a great introductory rifle as well, but if you're not in love with the components... buy nice or buy twice.
I certainly agree with buying the right equipment the first time. The last thing I am interested in is having to buy more than 1 rifle for now. At the price point of either rifle i could get most of my applications done. That was obviously a lot of my motivation for posting the question.

I have had both ,the Howa is a very good rifle but a little heavy for my liking shot lights out .Have two Tikka,s love them great shooters MOA with factory ammo ,just a joy to shoot and maybe slickest bolt on the market . IMO

I certainly agree with buying the right equipment the first time. The last thing I am interested in is having to buy more than 1 rifle for now. At the price point of either rifle i could get most of my applications done. That was obviously a lot of my motivation for posting the question.
Two rifles is not a bad idea though. Always good to have a back-up on an out of state hunting trip in case anything goes wrong ;)
By the way, as a secondary rifle there are plenty of great options for less than half the price of either options you noted. As for the original question, I can only speak for the Tikka.
I have the T3 superlite in .308 and absolutely love it. Never shot, or even held, a Howa so nothing I can add there.

I own several howa rifles. My dad has 2 tikka a 22-250 and a 308. His guns shoot really nice. I can honestly say either gun is a great choice. I personally have had great luck with howa and love adding more to the collection. With a few little inexpensive mods they are hard to beat.

Tikka or Howa? Buy the one you like looking at and the way it feel's n your hands. Scope, depend's if your a hunter or a shooter. If you hunt your gonna have a lot more than you need with a 3-9x. My elk rifle has a very old 2 3/4x Redfield on it, i prefer it. Have a few 2-7x's and they don't hold me back at all, the target at reasonable range is simply to big! To many 3-9x's but sometimes less is really hard to find so I go that way quite a bit. But I hunt with the variable scope's set on the lowest power! Figured my 6.5x06 was mostly for shooting target's so got a 4 1/2-14x for it. Farthest I've shot is 500 yds with it and only at paper. Highest power I've used is 8x! Hunted elk with it a few times and traded out the scope for a handy 3-9x, set it on 3x and killed three elk with it, go figure! Since the 6.5x06 I have picked up a couple 243's. To me they are varmint cartridge and varmint can be small targets, like sage rats! Put the 4 1/2-14x on one and at 14x it's easier to pick out a sage rat at over 200 yds than with a 3-9x set on 9x. Those that don't know, a sage rat is about the size of a skinny coffee cup! A deer is bigger than a wheel barrow and an elk big as my pickup! How much power do you need to hit those size target's?

Lot of people set up their big game rifle figuring they need to see the target and shoot it at up to 400-500yds. Most big game on the other hand is killed at under 200yds, go figure. I live in the west and hunted in the west a lot of years. My idea of a perfect set up is a rifle that weight 7-71/2 lbs, in a cartridge that doesn't beat me up with no more than a 3-9x scope but better yet a 2-7x scope. For a lot of years my choice in scopes was a straight 2 3/4x or 4x. The best way to choose is to be realistic on what your going to shoot and at what range you think your good to shoot at.

Don't fool yourself that you need something special for hunting out west. Even out here average kills are under 200yds. But you can see much farther in many places! The 308 was one of my favorite big game cartridge's for year's, works as well today as it did years ago! There is a great advantage to something like a 308 next to a 300 mag, the 308 is much more pleasant to shoot and will do the same job!

The make or brand of rifle is gonna depend more on what you like to look at and what feels good to you. Most any rifle you buy will get the job done and then some. My present 308 is a Mossberg Patriot. I only use it with cast bullet's but it will do pretty much the same as any other 308 with the same bullet's! Good looking rifle in my opinion and only cost me about $350 with a wood stock! My go to elk rifle these day's is a 1903 Springfield customized by Paul Jaeger in 1945 and wears a 2 3/4x Redfield widefield. If you could find one today, it would set you back about $7500 as appraised in 1992. It won't do much the 308 won't do! Point is find a rifle that you like looking at and holding and go for it. Whatever cartridge it's in it will probably shoot better than most people!

Last edited:
Most of the advice you are getting is spot on. Get what feels good in your hands. If you look through the 3-9 scope on the Howa Randy and don't like it you can get non-Randy Howas' with a very similar HS Precision stock for around 850 to 1000 depending on caliber etc. (at Sportsman's Warehouse)(https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/howa-hs-precision-rifle/p/p58851), and then put the scope you want on it. They don't have all the features of the Randy version but might be something to consider.

Best of luck in making a decision and let us know what you decide!

Back