Howa vs Tikka and Sportsman Warehouse

I have been eyeing either the Randy Howa or a Tikka T3x Lite for my first big game rifle. IL does not allow the use of rifles during deer season so I haven't had much use for one until I made the decision this spring to start DIY hunting out west.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has shot both and your thoughts comparing the 2 guns. I like a lot about the Howa, but really was wanting a 3x15 scope, not a 3x9. Is anyone curious if Sportsman Warehouse would do a scope swap for a vx5 and not charge me for both scopes?

Haven’t owned a Howa, but I hear they are great. I have two Tikkas and love them.

Not statistically significant, but here is my experience. I have the following:

1. 2 Howa's. One is a S&W 1500 in 270 that was my father's. It was made in the 80's for S&W by Howa and is a Howa 1500 stamped S&W. It is scary accurate and I love it. The other is a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Win Mag. It is not accurate at all. I have shot factory loads as well as hand loads and can't get it to shoot. I gave up on it and bought a Tikka 300 Win Mag and consistently get excellent groups.
2. I've had a total of 4 Tikka's (2 T3's and 2 T3x's). The ones I currently have are 7mm-08, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. The best group from the 7mm-08 was 0.23 MOA, from the 30-06 was 0.48 MOA and the 300 Win Mag was 0.20 MOA. What I really love is they are not picky. They shoot most everything well, from Nosler Accubonds to some old Speer Hot Cor, and anything in between. The Tikka that I don't have anymore was a 308 and it was a shooter too. I just had to trade it on something and still regret doing that.

I have been eyeing either the Randy Howa or a Tikka T3x Lite for my first big game rifle. IL does not allow the use of rifles during deer season so I haven't had much use for one until I made the decision this spring to start DIY hunting out west.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has shot both and your thoughts comparing the 2 guns. I like a lot about the Howa, but really was wanting a 3x15 scope, not a 3x9. Is anyone curious if Sportsman Warehouse would do a scope swap for a vx5 and not charge me for both scopes?
I'd be surprised if SW would swap out a scope from a package rifle with no charge. You are admittedly new at rifle shooting. To the distances you are talking about shooting, I'd wager that 15X would possibly be more of a hinderance than a help, especially at game. Long way of saying, I'd not fret the difference in max magnification if that's your only hangup between the two options.

I'd be surprised if SW would swap out a scope from a package rifle with no charge. You are admittedly new at rifle shooting. To the distances you are talking about shooting, I'd wager that 15X would possibly be more of a hinderance than a help, especially at game. Long way of saying, I'd not fret the difference in max magnification if that's your only hangup between the two options.

I agree. Also, if you end up buying inexpensive glass go for clarity over magnification. You will be paying for one or the other, and the magnification doesn’t matter if it’s foggy.

Doesn't the Randy Model have a Vx3i 3.5-10? It's probably the perfect magnification range for the vast majority of hunting. Both Tikka and Howa are well made and will shoot well. In my limited experience the Howa may be a little pickier with what ammo it likes, but it will definitely shoot. The biggest difference I see is the weight. The Howa will be quite a bit heavier, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like others have said, you could just get a Vanguard S2 and then whatever scope you want. It doesn't have the nice HS Precision stock, but it's not bad and its quite affordable.

Doesn't the Randy Model have a Vx3i 3.5-10? It's probably the perfect magnification range for the vast majority of hunting. Both Tikka and Howa are well made and will shoot well. In my limited experience the Howa may be a little pickier with what ammo it likes, but it will definitely shoot. The biggest difference I see is the weight. The Howa will be quite a bit heavier, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like others have said, you could just get a Vanguard S2 and then whatever scope you want. It doesn't have the nice HS Precision stock, but it's not bad and its quite affordable.
You are coreect about the scope.

Fwiw I see a lot more people using a Tikka to build rifles out of than howa/weatherby

Either rifle is good. Get the one that feels the best. Tikka will be lighter if that is important and you can get it in stainless which i like. As for the scope i think too many people want more magnification than they really need. I was shooting at the range hitting a steel ram at 540 yds with my steyr scout and 2.5 ier scope. You don't need huge magnification. I have a bunch of scopes and for hunting the most practicle are in the 2x10 or 2.5 x8 range. I have some 3.5x10 and they work as well but i like the increased fov from the lower settings on the ones that go down lower. Of all the game I've taken only two were outside 300 yds, one at 490 and one at 503 and i hunt out west. I used 10x on those and wasn't hindered at all. Buy the best quality scope you can afford. It will be worth it in the long run. My personal favorite right now is the leupold vx5 2-10 with firedot and cds. Love that scope. IMO probably one of the best general purpose hunting scopes out there. God luck.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back