Howa Randy Newberg Edition

I’m saying it was probably misaligned the first shot. Did anyone remove it? Any packing materials caught in it?

I guess a misalignment was possible. Just dont see how when it screws on the same way. And after only 2 shots (barrel cooled after the first shot) it wouldn't have gotten so hot it warped. 😕🤷‍♂️
Short of cross threading with a crescent wrench and a hammer, it's very unlikely that removing the break then reinstalling would cause it to blow off.

It came with the cap on it so I screwed the brake on it. By hand. It went on smooth with no visible debris on the threads or anything.

Short of cross threading with a crescent wrench and a hammer, it's very unlikely that removing the break then reinstalling would cause it to blow off.

I was merely asking the question. Misalignment can certainly cause this issue. Seen it with suppressors.

when it comes to troubleshooting guns and shooters there are no stupid questions.

JLS I took it as a question. I'm looking for all the help I can get. I know it is not a usual mishap.

I was merely asking the question. Misalignment can certainly cause this issue. Seen it with suppressors.

You're correct on the misalignment, but that would be a factory issue and not user error with regards to a brake.

Gotta agree with JLS. Probably an alignment issue or the factory forgot to bore the hole to 30cal.
Hopefully Howa will replace the rifle or at least the barrel. I wouldn’t trust the threads with that much force applied to them from the mishap.

And by the way fellas, I need this fixed asap because I have a hunt comming the last 3 weeks of December. That's our prime trophy hunt here in southern arizona

Gotta agree with JLS. Probably an alignment issue or the factory forgot to bore the hole to 30cal.
Hopefully Howa will replace the rifle or at least the barrel. I wouldn’t trust the threads with that much force applied to them from the mishap.

Good point. Could have been a .284 brake.

@Bstangl how many rounds through the rifle? Were the two shots that blew the brake off part of your poor group/loss of zero?

I am guessing your scope issue is actually related to the issue with your brake.

Friday afternoon gun? Hopefully you’ll get it resolved well before your hunt.

I would wager that it was an incorrect bore diameter on the muzzle brake. After the front portion was "kablooyed," that caused the shots to go wild(er) on the subsequent shots. Anytime there is a change in the harmonics of the barrel (which there would be if a portion of the muzzle brake was gone) the subsequent shots will rarely go into the same POI.

Hope you are taken care of, OP.

Yes. Howa is working on barreled actions in that cartridge and once they do, they will Cerakote and build such. I've asked for rifle #1 in that chambering.
Is there any forecasted arrival for the other chamberings? I have room in my safe for a 7mm.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back