Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Howa HS Precision Rifle vs. Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness

MaxPower

Tempted by both these rifles, and curious who here has experience with them. I live in Wyoming and do all my hunting in the west so lighter is good - but I've got no need (yet) for a sheep rifle so I'm not counting ounces.

Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness:
-6.75 pounds
-24 inch #2 contour fluted barrel (matte, bead-blasted)
-Weatherby's monte carlo stock with aluminum bedding block
-3 position safety and 2-stage trigger

Howa HS Precision:
7.6 pounds
-22 inch #2 contour barrel
-Kevlar/fiberglass/carbon fiber stock by HS Pres. with aluminum bedding block
-3 position safety and 2-stage trigger

I've been out of the gun retail business for a few years, so I don't know if Howa and Weatherby actions are still being manufactured in the same place. Anyone know what (if any) the difference is with the two companies barreled actions and their trigger assemblies?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.weatherby.com/products/rifles/vanguard/vanguardr-wilderness.html

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-hs-precision-rifle/

Yup, basically the same with the exception of the stock. HS Precision stocks are nice, but heavy for what you get. I realize you're not looking at sheep guns (yet) but why carry almost a pound more than you have to? You might get marginally better accuracy from the Howa, then you'll have to decide if the extra pound is worth it.

The Weatherby version of the Monte Carlo stock does not fit me well in the field. That would be more important to me.

I'd be buying the Weatherby because the barrel is 2" longer. Gotta love that free velocity, unless you don't like the added weight of 2 more inches of barrel. Don't think you could go wrong one way or the other though. I own the Weatherby Vanguard S2 which has the Monte Carlo stock, and I love it. In the end, reloading is going to help you a lot more than the difference between these two rifles. Just my 2 cents.

I bought a Weatherby Wilderness last year and I love everything about it so far.
Get your hands on one of each and see how they fit.

I thought weatherby was moving to Sheridan Wyoming from California. That may play into your decision. Maybe wait and buy one of the first Sheridan guns.

I thought weatherby was moving to Sheridan Wyoming from California. That may play into your decision. Maybe wait and buy one of the first Sheridan guns.

Won't make a difference on a Vanguard, as the barreled actions are made in Japan. The only difference is where they assemble it to the stock and floorplate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back