How to hunt if you can't stomach gutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson Smith

I'd like to go hunting with my dad at some point, but I honestly cannot handle gutting the animal. Went to try and watch a video of it and made it about 3 minutes in before I had to turn it off. \*Is\* there a way to do it? Or is it one of those man up or stay home situations? I just start getting nauseous.

Gutless method?

But if you're "skittish" about blood/guts, good chance hunting isn't for you. Photography maybe?
Very true. There will be smells and blood and loose hair and crap and piss if you harvest animals. Gutless is less messy if you never hit the abdomen with a shot. Follow-up shots do not always involve a broadside animal.

As a buddy noted during a late night discussion on hunting gear re the very best knife for field-dressing an animal…the guide’s.

I grew up butchering chickens so when I field-dressed a deer the first time then to me was just a bigger chicken. Maybe try cutting up a whole chicken from the grocery store meat section. Then, try a rabbit hunt or squirrel hunt or duck hunt. If those go well then wild turkey hunt.

Nothing wrong with disliking something, though. Is not a failing to listen to your mind and body. Would be boring if had no dislikes in life and if we all had the same likes.

I’m trying really hard to be as nice as possible and be understanding/accepting of someone new to this.
But this post coupled with the last one are making it difficult…
Honestly, if you can’t eat meat, you can’t handle gutting, you had to give an ungutted deer to your neighbor, why are you hunting??
I feel like you might be getting into the wrong hobby. There are just some realities that you must face when participating in certain activities. If you can’t face that, probably look elsewhere.
Enjoy the wilderness but take a camera instead of a rifle.

OK so lets see...

You're skittish about eating the meat/feeding the meat to your family AND you don't like gutting to the point you can't even watch a video on how to learn about it?

You don't. You don't hunt if you can't stomach the gutting.

I tell you the LAST thing I'd do is join a site called "HuntTalk" with all the most hardcore western hunters from across the nation.

OK so lets see...

You're skittish about eating the meat/feeding the meat to your family AND you don't like gutting to the point you can't even watch a video on how to learn about it?

You don't. You don't hunt if you can't stomach the gutting.

I tell you the LAST thing I'd do is join a site called "HuntTalk" with all the most hardcore western hunters from across the nation.
There’s a lot of rifle hunters on here too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back