Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

How to get the Lower Snake Dams Breached...

JoseCuervo

This is a stroke of Genius
smile.gif

By pitting the Upstream users vs. the Lower Snake Dam stakeholders, the pressure will intensify to remove the dams. President Bush may have to hurry back to Ice Harbor for more Photo Opportunities, as it looks like the Lower Snake dams will be sacraficed by the Idaho Power and irrigators of the Upper Snake.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Bush Administration Must Reevaluate Upper Snake River Dam Operations

Dams hold back water that endangered salmon need

Contacts: Justin Hayes, ICL, (208) 345-6933 x.24
Bill Sedivy, Idaho Rivers United, (208) 343-7481
Rob Masonis, American Rivers, (206) 213-0330 x.12
Jan Hasselman, National Wildlife Federation, (206) 285-8707
Laird Lucas, Advocates for the West, (208) 342-7024

Boise, Idaho – In the wake of President Bush's statements on salmon recovery in the Northwest, a coalition of business, fishing, and conservation groups today warned the Bureau of Reclamation and NOAA Fisheries that the operation of 10 dams and reservoirs on the upper Snake River in Idaho needs to be reevaluated to avoid harm to salmon and steelhead listed under the Endangered Species Act.

Attorneys for Idaho Rivers United, Idaho Conservation League, American Rivers and the National Wildlife Federation notified the agencies and Interior Secretary Gale Norton in a letter sent Friday that a lawsuit will be filed unless steps are taken to ensure that the upper Snake projects comply with the ESA. The groups are being represented by Advocates for the West, a non-profit environmental law firm based in Boise, and EarthJustice.

"On Friday, President Bush stated that everyone involved in salmon recovery must contribute to that effort. Right now, federal agencies in Idaho are not doing their part. Our letter puts the agencies on notice that they must fulfill their role in the regional salmon recovery effort by providing necessary water flows from the upper Snake River," said Laird Lucas, an attorney with Advocates for the West.

At issue is whether NOAA Fisheries' 2001 Upper Snake River Biological Opinion (2001 Bi-Op), a document intended to insure that operation of the upper Snake River projects and dams does not harm federally protected salmon and steelhead, is adequate to protect the fish. In that biological opinion NOAA concluded that Bureau of Reclamation operation of the projects would not jeopardize the protected species.

"This case is about complying with the law," said Justin Hayes of the Idaho Conservation League. "The plan for operating the upper Snake projects is illegal because it relies largely on another plan that has been ruled illegal. That situation needs to be corrected to make sure salmon get the water they need to survive."

The coalition maintains that a recent ruling by the federal district court in Oregon invalidating the federal salmon plan for the federal hydroelectric dams on the Snake and Columbia rivers requires the Bureau and NOAA Fisheries to take a fresh look at the Bureau's dam operations in the upper Snake River basin. They also contend that NOAA Fisheries failed to conduct adequate analysis in analyzing upper Snake River project impacts when it issued the 2001 BiOp currently in place.

The conservation groups hope that the Bureau and NOAA Fisheries will commit to reevaluating the upper Snake River storage projects without the need for litigation, but the agencies failed to make that commitment when several of the groups requested it in July.

"With the lower Snake River dams still in place, adequate water delivery from upstream is critical to juvenile salmon, especially fall chinook, migrating to the sea," said Bill Sedivy with Idaho Rivers United. "Since 2000, the government has consistently failed to meet flow targets at the lower Snake River dams and water delivery targets for upper Snake River water." Indeed, the Bureau has provided less water in 2001-2003 than it had in the 1990s to aid salmon and steelhead.

During his visit to Washington last week, President Bush restated his opposition to removing the four lower Snake River dams.

"The Bush administration should not be allowed to have it both ways," said Rob Masonis of American Rivers. "If the lower Snake River dams are not going to be removed, the administration must deliver the water necessary to adequately mitigate the harm caused by the dams. The salmon recovery menu doesn't let you order up low flows with your dams, but that is precisely what the administration seems to crave. An objective and credible analysis of this situation is long overdue." The region's Independent Scientific Advisory Board, an expert scientific panel that advises on salmon recovery efforts, recently affirmed in a February 2003 report that salmon survival decreases substantially when flow targets are not met.

"The Bureau needs to make sure that enough water is flowing into the Snake River out of Idaho so that fish can make it past the dams," said Jan Hasselman of the National Wildlife Federation. "Instead, they're providing a fraction of what the government's own scientists say is necessary to protect fish and the communities that depend on them."

Join the Idaho Conservation League and help protect Wild Idaho today!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The more I think about this strategy, the more amazed I am with the Brilliance. (I am suprised I didn't think of it...
wink.gif
)

There is no more powerful force in Idaho than our Cheap Electricity from the Upper Snake River Dams (Hells Canyon Complex, Swan Falls, etc. etc..) or our reliance on irrigation water from the Snake for growing things in our arid desert.

Our Southern Idaho farmers would sell out their brethern on the Palouse in a minute, to protect their water.
biggrin.gif

This is terrific! Keep the dams and put all the farmers out of business in south Idaho and east Idaho or remove the dams and save the farmers. It's a real clear choice. Do we want the farmers in south and east Idaho to go extinct? Let's have some of the geniuses who say we need the dams explain the best policy now. How about you, mike from east Idaho and Paul. What's the best solution?
biggrin.gif

Divide and conquer. That are turning one 'team' upon itself. Should be interesting to see how things shake out. Looks like lawyers can be good for something!
wink.gif

It and gunner,

What the hell are you two hens clucking about? Buzz Boy already told us the dams are coming down.

Paul

BHR, You seem to be consistently against anything that will protect or enhance wildlife habitat. Can you coherently explain why?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-02-2003 12:36: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Well it was easy for me, if it means more/better fishing, then i don`t see much downside, i don`t get my power from those dams[selfish] so tear them down and help the fish.

You can't deliver flows if there isn't water to flow. How much water is there flowing in the upper snake right now?

Ten,

Go to Google, and search for Idaho Department of Water Resources, or any Riverflow page for Idaho. Search on Raft, Riverflow, Idaho, and you will find plenty of data for you to use.

You may have to find someone with Internet access to help you through the process, but you will likely figure it out.
rolleyes.gif

Good luck, and I hope you get the information you need.
wink.gif

Hey Ten,

You should be able to contact the agencies that manage each of the dams, and get their historical data on levels for the years you are interested in. If they won't give it to you, threaten them with FOI, and they will generally be forthcoming.

Or, if you know somebody who has a PC, you can ask them to help you. And if they have Internet access, then you will be in great shape. Ask around, as many people have internet access, you should be able to find someone who will do the research for you.

It will be interesting to see your theory, your hypothesis, your data, and your analysis and conclusion. Keep us posted, and good luck.
wink.gif

I've always wondered how much of the volume of a reservoir is lost to the catchment of sediments. I know it happens, just wondered if its ever been quantified.

GRINNER/IT, why should I spend my time doing the research when you guys have all the answers? If you have the information, just answer the questions. If I disagree with your answer, I'll research my retort, and supply my references.

Ten,

Your questions don't need answered. The Gov't needs to get 427,000 acre feet (I think that is the number) to the fish. That is the requirement. How and where they get it is up to them, but they WILL get it. You can spend all the time you want, researching stream flows, and resivoir levels, and maybe you can help them find the water. But untill then, they just need to get it, and I don't care who they have analyze where it comes from.

If you have a theory, go do some research, and prove your theory. Don't expect others to do all your work for you.
redface.gif

IT, sit down, you can't play with the big boys.
GRINNER, if you don't want to provide sources, you don't have to, but don't talk down to me if you can't say where the references should be, or where the water should come from. If you can't be part of the solution, don't be part of the problem either.
redface.gif

I guess the polite thing to do here is to tell you to reference your sources. I stand plenty well on my own two feet. You on the other hand.....

Put up sources......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back