Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How to extract an elk from the woods

Very nice work, MTTW. I've been researching this technique and I'd like to learn more, do you have a YouTube channel? :rolleyes:

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could ever find one close enough to the road. I grew up hanging all of my deer to clean them. I'll never get used to cleaning animals on the ground. Did it 4 times this year though.

Love it! Your story reminds me of my first ever MT Bull. Dragged him whole, no sled, all alone, pulling by just the antlers, .67 of a mile through sage fields to a little two track. I got my truck down to him and I very obviously could not load him by myself, but I was a bit stubborn at the time and I was not going to cut him in half after all I had been through to get him out whole. As it was getting dark I was starting to come to the conclusion that I would maybe have to cut the thing in half, when a truck with 3 local guys came down the very same two track I was on (which I had not seen anybody else use at all that whole entire day). The driver got out of the truck and said, "well I guess we're gonna have to help you since your parked in the middle of the road". The 4 of us got him loaded and I was on my way. But, my 2 wheel drive truck couldn't get up the frozen hill and so the 3 guys had to chain up and tow me out of that icy hole. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but 19 year olds don't make good decisions, so that's my excuse.

At least i didn't have to explain myself to the local guys for why I wanted to get him out whole; they had a 3 pt. bull and a cow loaded whole in the back of their truck too. :D

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Wow! I drug a lope across a sage field and thought I was a going to have a heart attack. Can't imagine dragging a bull across that mess.

Way to go! I am impressed. We did almost the same thing with my brother's moose in October, but ended up having to cut him in half to get him in the truck.

I've been involved in a couple of loading the elk whole into the back of the truck. I must say I don't understand the appeal of giving ourselves hernias doing it.
Maybe I'm missing something. :confused:

I've been involved in a couple of loading the elk whole into the back of the truck. I must say I don't understand the appeal of giving ourselves hernias doing it.
Maybe I'm missing something. :confused:

Mr.Natural sez, "Use the right tool for the job!"
I don't know about hand dragging an elk,but I have gotten real fancy with pulleys,come a long & rope before.

That's awesome and it is also a really nice bull! Congratulations. To get an elk or any animal like that my buddy and I call it, "CASHING IN A COUPON!" It takes a lot of back-breaking heartache days to earn one of those Coupon elk usually!

Wow! I drug a lope across a sage field and thought I was a going to have a heart attack. Can't imagine dragging a bull across that mess.

I dragged him for hooouuurs and I don't remember the actual dragging being that bad, especially in the bare spots. But I definitely agree with you that getting hung up in sage was absolutely miserable; still remember trying to weave around that stuff. Never again.

Haha! You need to write Outdoor, "Hallmark" cards. :D

Thanks for sharing.

I call bullshit MTTW.

It is a documented fact that you must hike at least 1.0 miles from any and all roads to kill a bull. They even have a layer for it.

Nice try tho.... :)

Mr.Natural sez, "Use the right tool for the job!"
I don't know about hand dragging an elk,but I have gotten real fancy with pulleys,come a long & rope before.
Throw in a couple of 2x6s for sliding/ramps and there isn't anything you can't get in or out of a truck bed. I once took a topper off by myself with only 4x4s.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomps
Back