How to extract an elk from the woods

Very nice work, MTTW. I've been researching this technique and I'd like to learn more, do you have a YouTube channel? :rolleyes:

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could ever find one close enough to the road. I grew up hanging all of my deer to clean them. I'll never get used to cleaning animals on the ground. Did it 4 times this year though.

Love it! Your story reminds me of my first ever MT Bull. Dragged him whole, no sled, all alone, pulling by just the antlers, .67 of a mile through sage fields to a little two track. I got my truck down to him and I very obviously could not load him by myself, but I was a bit stubborn at the time and I was not going to cut him in half after all I had been through to get him out whole. As it was getting dark I was starting to come to the conclusion that I would maybe have to cut the thing in half, when a truck with 3 local guys came down the very same two track I was on (which I had not seen anybody else use at all that whole entire day). The driver got out of the truck and said, "well I guess we're gonna have to help you since your parked in the middle of the road". The 4 of us got him loaded and I was on my way. But, my 2 wheel drive truck couldn't get up the frozen hill and so the 3 guys had to chain up and tow me out of that icy hole. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but 19 year olds don't make good decisions, so that's my excuse.

At least i didn't have to explain myself to the local guys for why I wanted to get him out whole; they had a 3 pt. bull and a cow loaded whole in the back of their truck too. :D

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Wow! I drug a lope across a sage field and thought I was a going to have a heart attack. Can't imagine dragging a bull across that mess.

Way to go! I am impressed. We did almost the same thing with my brother's moose in October, but ended up having to cut him in half to get him in the truck.

I've been involved in a couple of loading the elk whole into the back of the truck. I must say I don't understand the appeal of giving ourselves hernias doing it.
Maybe I'm missing something. :confused:

I've been involved in a couple of loading the elk whole into the back of the truck. I must say I don't understand the appeal of giving ourselves hernias doing it.
Maybe I'm missing something. :confused:

Mr.Natural sez, "Use the right tool for the job!"
I don't know about hand dragging an elk,but I have gotten real fancy with pulleys,come a long & rope before.

That's awesome and it is also a really nice bull! Congratulations. To get an elk or any animal like that my buddy and I call it, "CASHING IN A COUPON!" It takes a lot of back-breaking heartache days to earn one of those Coupon elk usually!

Wow! I drug a lope across a sage field and thought I was a going to have a heart attack. Can't imagine dragging a bull across that mess.

I dragged him for hooouuurs and I don't remember the actual dragging being that bad, especially in the bare spots. But I definitely agree with you that getting hung up in sage was absolutely miserable; still remember trying to weave around that stuff. Never again.

Haha! You need to write Outdoor, "Hallmark" cards. :D

Thanks for sharing.

I call bullshit MTTW.

It is a documented fact that you must hike at least 1.0 miles from any and all roads to kill a bull. They even have a layer for it.

Nice try tho.... :)

Mr.Natural sez, "Use the right tool for the job!"
I don't know about hand dragging an elk,but I have gotten real fancy with pulleys,come a long & rope before.
Throw in a couple of 2x6s for sliding/ramps and there isn't anything you can't get in or out of a truck bed. I once took a topper off by myself with only 4x4s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back