How to extract an elk from the woods

yeah... I tried that once and was not paying attention to where the antlers were going when I was pushing the back end in, poor back window never had a chance when I hit the breaks coming down the hill from now I load the rear in first... lol.

like the story and tone. Looks about like my buddies elk in new mexico. Shot it 30yards from creek bed on ranch. Drove f350 down creek and backed up to creek bed. Guy on each leg and guide on head. Picked it up and walked right onto bed. Gutted hanging off back and then drove under electric lift. Never easier ever again and that was when I was 22. I guess I will have to just shoot next to trailhead.

That is what I'm talking about! Super nice bull!! I've had a couple where an atv was used once it was quartered, but never able to load and drag an entire elk. Was that this season?

Love it! Nicely done. Love the tongue-in-cheek re-telling

I'm a big fan of get'em in whole , been able to do that a few times out here in Oregon with Roosevelts

2 spikes whole in 2015
IMG_6902.jpg

I also approve of having your buddy show up after u fill a cow tag , then take pics of him loading your elk for you
IMG_6900.jpg
IMG_6901.jpg

My 2017 Bull killed 46 yds from a logging road , tied a noose around head and horns , ran the rope around my ball hitch , hooked it to another rig and he backed slowly, we pulled him up to the road and 5 guys picked him up stuffed him in my truck
IMG_6899.jpg
IMG_6903.jpg

Last edited:
Love it! Your story reminds me of my first ever MT Bull. Dragged him whole, no sled, all alone, pulling by just the antlers, .67 of a mile through sage fields to a little two track. I got my truck down to him and I very obviously could not load him by myself, but I was a bit stubborn at the time and I was not going to cut him in half after all I had been through to get him out whole. As it was getting dark I was starting to come to the conclusion that I would maybe have to cut the thing in half, when a truck with 3 local guys came down the very same two track I was on (which I had not seen anybody else use at all that whole entire day). The driver got out of the truck and said, "well I guess we're gonna have to help you since your parked in the middle of the road". The 4 of us got him loaded and I was on my way. But, my 2 wheel drive truck couldn't get up the frozen hill and so the 3 guys had to chain up and tow me out of that icy hole. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but 19 year olds don't make good decisions, so that's my excuse.

At least i didn't have to explain myself to the local guys for why I wanted to get him out whole; they had a 3 pt. bull and a cow loaded whole in the back of their truck too. :D

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

I don't feel so bad now...I have loaded my last 4 by myself,whole. 2 in a Tacoma.
I thought it was a NM thing. LOL

Now that is a great story. And to get such a quality animal loaded up whole...wow! Nicely done! I'll admit...I'm jealous. I'd love to get one out whole some day.

Back