Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How to defuse a grizzly encounter peacefully?

Someone told me this but I have never had the opportunity to try it so it may not work. He said that if a grizzly happens to attack you, just stand there. When the bear gets right up to you, he will open his mouth to bite you. That is when you slam your fist right into his mouth as hard as you can while simultaneously stepping to the side. The force of your blow combined with the momentum of the charging bear will drive your fist right through the critter exiting through the orifice on the backside. Now this is the tricky part. You immediately grab ahold of that itty bitty tail and yank back as hard as you can. You should have a pretty good adrenalin rush going by now. So that, again combined with the bears momentum, will turn that beast clean inside out. Now, again I have never tried this, so if it doesn't work, don't go complaining to me. This is just a suggestion for when you have exhausted all other options.
That's funny, but it has actually worked before, sorta..

So about the grizzlies in and around Augusta. One less..

I was asked to respond but can not add much that hasn't already been said . We probably encounter more bears in town than in the mountains or on the ice. But either way, everything that has been said already will work,-- or not.

Grizzly defending cubs or food sources need to be avoided. All things being equal bear spray is your best line of defense, but we have used, Flares ( on ice or in winter so as to not start a forest fire ) Bangs, Fence, 12 gauge when in town or from sled, with bean bags, rubber bullets, whistle crackers, type stuff. If not hunting, sing, whistle, talk, make noise, plus everything you mentioned in your opening post

I do not know anyone who encounters more bears each year than Salmonchaser. He encounters them every day for several months each year and sometimes several of them a day. The op might want to pm him and ask him for advise.
"Will work or not"! That seems to me to be pretty much it in a nut shell to me. Only one way I am certain I'll come out on top with an encounter with a wild animal. Don't get out of the truck to take a picture!

Hey y’all-

I hunt in griz areas and also heading to Alaska for a caribou hunt this year but I have never had a griz encounter. I’m not a paranoid type but I am a prepared type.

I know all the bear prevention stuff:
- keep a scent free clean camp
- move meat far from gut pile
- bear fence as an option, etc.
Check, check, check.

And I know and use the available last resort defense options:
- bear spray
- heavy hitting hand gun that you’ve practiced with
Check, check.

But, what I feel like isn’t talked about as much and what I’d like to learn more about as part of my ‘backcountry continuing education’ is, what to do when you actually encounter a grizzly to avoid it escalating into a gun or spray situation.

Obviously if you see them before they see you just sneak out. But what about when you actually run into one in the thick bush, or return to a kill and find one on your meat, or have one charge? I’ve seen Rinella and crew yell and wave them off or shoot over their heads which is all good but, I’d like to hear some solid from-experience advice on what to do to hopefully defuse it and have all parties walk away in one piece.

Any tips, recommended reading material, or videos are welcome.
I have not had an encounter. I do carry spray and a 10mm. I practice at least once a month with the Glock.

However, once I was accidentally sprayed by my brother. He was trying to reach into his pack and somehow it discharged into my chest and face. I was standing directly behind and above him on a steep trail at 0 dark thirty.

My point for this post is that the spray will take away all of your faculties. I couldn’t see or really breath for several minutes. Whenever, I took a hot shower for the next two weeks it would reactivate.. and burn like hell.

I am 100% confident that spray will work. To the point that my daughters have a can under their seat in their cars. The spray is easier and just as effective…it would stop any creep trying to get st them.

To summarize my opinion… carry spray and have it within reach and carry a side arm.

Nothing, and I mean nothing would mess with my ex wife. She is the ultimate bear defense. She would easily confuse the bear and then freak it out so bad, that it would just say #*^@#* it. It’s not worth it. If anyone is headed to Griz country next season, hit me up and I’ll hook you up.
Genius! You may be on to something here. I know a few gals that could deter any type of attack. Are we talking about weekly rates? Nightly? ( I’m a cougar attack survivor that’s why I’m asking about a nightly rate. Nothing weird. I was attacked just after midnight in a dark parking lot)

Live and hunt in AK. If the bear is acting defensively (research and learn what that looks like), stay calm, speak softly, walk away slowly, leave the way you came. If attacked by a bear exhibiting defensive aggressiveness, roll on your belly, spread legs slightly as to not be flipped, protect your neck with your hands and play dead. If bear is exhibiting predatory behavior (research and learn what that looks like) kill the damn thing and if attacked fight for your life! There are books, and videos on the subject. Learn behavior and practice with your weapons.

Nothing, and I mean nothing would mess with my ex wife. She is the ultimate bear defense. She would easily confuse the bear and then freak it out so bad, that it would just say #*^@#* it. It’s not worth it. If anyone is headed to Griz country next season, hit me up and I’ll hook you up.
We must be related !!! I married her twin sister!!

Back