MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How to defuse a grizzly encounter peacefully?

I don't know about grizzly bears but with black bears if you act like a lunatic the chimpanzee smacking your hands on the ground breaking sticks jump around and screaming they will piss off if it doesn't hanging his head is low and put vegetation in between unit you got a problem active hunting situations no good. Next step throw some lead over his head
1650200891909.png

I think this guy did terrific job of being non-existent, non threatening, in close proximity of bear. Though I think I would rather have that 12 ga in my hands instead of laying on ground next to bear.. Just a random thought.

Someone told me this but I have never had the opportunity to try it so it may not work. He said that if a grizzly happens to attack you, just stand there. When the bear gets right up to you, he will open his mouth to bite you. That is when you slam your fist right into his mouth as hard as you can while simultaneously stepping to the side. The force of your blow combined with the momentum of the charging bear will drive your fist right through the critter exiting through the orifice on the backside. Now this is the tricky part. You immediately grab ahold of that itty bitty tail and yank back as hard as you can. You should have a pretty good adrenalin rush going by now. So that, again combined with the bears momentum, will turn that beast clean inside out. Now, again I have never tried this, so if it doesn't work, don't go complaining to me. This is just a suggestion for when you have exhausted all other options.

We always had grizz around our camp in the Scapegoat. Electric fence worked great, and our tent was never invaded. Sure made the horses nervous at night though.

Never bothered our meat. Maybe wood stove burning all night helped.

As to warning shots, my guide in Alaska had me try that. No response until I put one (at his request) between the ground and her belly. She and the cubs took off like lightning up a steep slope.

But thanks to Salmonchaser and all the other AK guys and gals with tons of real experience.

Someone told me this but I have never had the opportunity to try it so it may not work. He said that if a grizzly happens to attack you, just stand there. When the bear gets right up to you, he will open his mouth to bite you. That is when you slam your fist right into his mouth as hard as you can while simultaneously stepping to the side. The force of your blow combined with the momentum of the charging bear will drive your fist right through the critter exiting through the orifice on the backside. Now this is the tricky part. You immediately grab ahold of that itty bitty tail and yank back as hard as you can. You should have a pretty good adrenalin rush going by now. So that, again combined with the bears momentum, will turn that beast clean inside out. Now, again I have never tried this, so if it doesn't work, don't go complaining to me. This is just a suggestion for when you have exhausted all other options.
Oh it works, you just gotta practice it a few times to get the arm motion down, sorta like cracking a whip.

I've lived, worked, and hunted in grizzly country since 1975. In that time I've only had one encounter with a grizzly.

Two friends and I were camped at the end of a logging road near West Yellowstone, MT. We had two elk and a moose hanging in the stock rack in the back of my truck.

One night just before going to bed, I went out to check my horses. As I returned to our tent I stopped on the edge of the road and a grizzly woofed and clicked his teeth at me from the top of the bank, 20' above me.

I had my Ruger. 44. mag on my hip so I drew it and fired a shot over his head. No reaction. I fired another shot into the tree next to him. Again no reaction.

So I picked up a tennis ball size rock that I threw and hit him. He then ran off into the forest.

There was another camp in an old clear cut about 1/4 mile from ours. They also had an elk hanging. Evidently the bear went to their camp, as a few minutes after he left ours we heard a half dozen quick (pistol ?) shots from their camp, and shortly afterwards they pulled their camp and drove out.

The next morning I saddled one of my horses and tracked the bear from our camp to the other camp then across the clear-cut and into the forest. There were occasional drops of blood in the bears tracks after he left the other camp

The grizzly had an ear tag and a radio collar. We reported the incident to FWP, and found out that he had been a problem bear by Cooke City, and had been relocated to where we were.

A few years ago one of the guys that I used to work with was attacked and mauled twice in one day by a grizzly. Todd is very woods savvy, but he unknowingly got between a sow and her cubs. I'm glad you survived that one Todd.
You know that dude personally?? I think every outdoorsman in the Rocky Mountains knows that story! One tough cookie…

I don't know about grizzly bears but with black bears if you act like a lunatic the chimpanzee smacking your hands on the ground breaking sticks jump around and screaming they will piss off if it doesn't hanging his head is low and put vegetation in between unit you got a problem active hunting situations no good. Next step throw some lead over his head
8F626FCD-356A-447B-AD87-BB8DB83D6083.gif

Both encounters over in a matter of seconds. Not a whole lot of time to think. Practice your draw, a lot.
And if all fails, smack it right in the face with your trekking poles.

My daughter and I have both encountered a Grizzly. Fortunately, they had other things on their minds so I can't say we did anything specific to avoid an "incident".
Might want to check out this youtube video.

That’d be great if the gentleman (or woman) had a slew of visitors and onlookers coming along for the hunt.. there are many spectators behind that camera. The bear was definitely more afraid than anyone there

Back