How to defuse a grizzly encounter peacefully?

DLP = Defense of Life or Property. In Alaska, it involves paperwork and surrendering the hide and skull
to the wildlife troopers. Skinning out and packing out the hide and skull is a lot of work.

All the more reason to avoid shooting one😎
N8 makes a good point and I like Dr Smith as well.
Most of the time they’re more than happy to leave you alone. Guess I don’t have him running away, but eating grass, he hears us; kinda goes oh poop it’s humans; alerts much like a dog and spun 180 and ran like hell.
As N8 said just no reason to be paranoid.

Attachments

• F831AA04-5137-4905-8452-8E64E5219817.jpeg
    F831AA04-5137-4905-8452-8E64E5219817.jpeg
    801.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 192691EA-7D23-4852-90F2-60359CA37652.jpeg
    192691EA-7D23-4852-90F2-60359CA37652.jpeg
    787.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 338D5A9E-9289-4693-A1B6-0D9362C078E8.jpeg
    338D5A9E-9289-4693-A1B6-0D9362C078E8.jpeg
    849.7 KB · Views: 30
Maybe most importantly, I've seen fear of bears really mess up peoples experience in the woods. Bearanoia is a thing. With precautions and deterrent your chances of being mauled are very small.
In my case I think a bit of ignorance is bliss;)
Before I visited out West in the Rockies I read up all I could and abided by all the rules and advice.
Always had my bear spray to hand, but no hand gun as I wasn't permitted to carry one.

1st vacation with my family, 2nd 2 weeks fishing with a friend, 4 visits hunting in Griz country.
2 of the guys I have hunted with have been terrified of an encounter, and it kind of ruined it for one guy.
I was determined to hunt on my own in a pup tent in the Madisons north of Hebgen lake, when I returned to our main camp my mate had his cot against the back wall and get this, a loaded .270 on a bipod pointing towards the door!
I wasn't too impressed, and pointed out 'do you really think a bear will undo the zip and walk in':ROFLMAO:

So I have seen bears, and there were lots of Grizz tracks around, but I didn't let it ruin the hunting experience for me.

Cheers

Richard

we have between 30 and 50 DLP Grizzly kills each year, Was curious what are the average DLP Grizzly kills in Alaska ?

Sometimes they are not "bluffing"

Salmonchaser, you should post your 275 Rigby on the most accurate rifle threado_O

Randi. Hey, quit chasing people away from hunting with us ;)

Salmonchaser: Your right, but both my brain and body has said to me "We are not going there! " ;) however, you are correct !
I didn't find DLP reports for recent years, but on AKDF&G found this 2000 study report:
<Brown Bear Management Rpt Alaska Dept Fish and Game Wildlife Conservation>
Which lists 2 brown bears DLP'd for the study year. I don't think grizzlies were included. IMO it would be hard to get to 50 state wide from those numbers.

Timothy Treadwell’s work could be considered as well as his death. What I’m suggesting is that maybe most bears that haven’t been acclimated to dependence on humans would rather have a peaceful distance and will not show aggression. Otherwise I like Frontier spray. The coverage and distance is very impressive.

Assuming you’re already fairly close and the bear knows you’re there, be calm, loud, tall, and confident. I don’t think warning shots do any good whatsoever. The Meateater guys do a good job of handling bear encounters from what I’ve seen.
From the south and have never hunted in grizz country.. This might be a stupid question but can they sense when someone is fearful?

When in bear country, do like the bear do. If you make it, let me know how it went.

on a serious note, just take your standard precautions. Don't leave food in your damn tent, have something to protect yourself. Most importantly don't stress out to much.

I enjoy still hunting for moose when not on stand. We're in mixed old growth with salmon stream near. Susitna drainage.
I've shot a brown on our back porch in DLP. But otherwise not a problem I'm aware of. A few bears wanting to scare me off from where I'm at. I suspect that more bears saw me than me them.
As suggested earlier being in the zone for lack of better terms and paying attention to my environment has probably helped the most for avoiding confrontation. I've got all my senses clicking and have to travel through some thick alder pockets at times. I make plenty of noise trying to not make noise. My sense is that if they have a way to avoid confrontation they do. Kinda like my old chessy. Watched another big dog walk down the driveway, they met n had a dog talk. The stray turned around n left . Both knowing that they would get hurt n evaluating risk. They are smart n know fighting can hurt them also. But bears are bears all different. Yes I believe bears can sense your level of fear.
My beautiful wife n me were cooking up a chicken over the fire in the campground that recently had a published attack on Cheena hot springs road. Near 40 years ago. Brown circled us several times. I feel if he sensed he could intimidated me he would have. Nothing like walking in grass that's 7' tall n step on to a flopping half eaten salmon to get the heart pumping. I worked on a fire on Kodiak as squad boss. Job was to circle the fire looking for spot fires. Walking through 8' Devils clubs with a water bag n radio first year in AK. That was spooky thinking about a mama with cubs in the fire.
How to defuse an encounter ? Hey, for me it's part of the experience. And I enjoy it. Each bear is different. Being in the zone n trying to be aware of my surroundings would be my top response.
I have body issues and need to watch weight so haven't carried a sidearm in the bush years. Although I have recently tried fitting up a 45 so I can carry it comfortably. l enjoy being out enjoying our public lands. And gratefull to have the opportunity to get out build my confidence. Or stupidity, but I'm having fun

Last edited:
Personally I just dont want to hunt in grizzly country. My mind would be on bears all the time and I don't think I would enjoy the hunt. Unless the hunt was actually for the bear.
I was thinking the same thing, I’m going to stay out the grizzly’s backyard. Especially since I’m now old fat, and slow. But then I realized we have very large gators where I live that I have mostly ignored. A lifetime hunting and fishing in and about the swamp and I had only a couple scary encounters with them. However a 12 footer just attacked and ate a guy half an hour drive from my house. In the same week 10 minutes from my house a 7 of 8 footer emerged onto a park/walking path area next a lake and grabbed a dog. That one was shot by police. Both of these were in the days after Hurricane Ida and I think they were affected by the storm in someway. Perhaps displaced from their territory and food sources. Anyway, the point is I am with you on avoiding the grizzly and will be keeping a closer eye out on these critters around here.

After having been closely stalked during a predatory black bear encounter (twice actually), I have no remaining desire to tackle solo hunting in grizzly country. 20 years ago I had no problem fishing and tent camping by myself all over Yellowstone, and carried bear spray only sporadically while simply paying attention to my surroundings. In hindsight, some of the close quarter fishing I did up dense alder/willow thickets was stupid. And the trout there were tiny anyway.

There was one particular timber choked, dark canyon that the stream I was following disappeared into... I do remember my brain telling me NOPE... NOPE... NOPE, and so I listened. That was a sixth sense moment I am convinced to this day.

In hindsight, some of the close quarter fishing I did up dense alder/willow thickets was stupid. And the trout there were tiny anyway.
Hah! I recall similar around Togwotee Pass, WY. Series of beaver ponds surrounded by thick willows. Small trout though it what's hard to get, that gets us... well you know.
Reading your comment reminded me of an event working a series of beaver ponds. I found a reasonably fresh path to follow (hint <big hint>) through a thick patch to the next pond until I came upon a massive four legged, dark brown body with a matching pair of huge paddles intended to toss me a few hundred yards wherever the flip tickled his fancy.

Oddest event. I froze and slowly backed up, looking downward - not intent to have a stare down. Then... I tripped backwards! Fly rod went wherever, I 'bout crapped my pants as the bruiser ran right by me! Didn't stomp, hoist, toss, etc... flat out took off and thumped its way right by me as I tried to scramble into the thicket, off his beat down trail! He even missed my fly rod!
Why he didn't plow me or move off another direction is flat out beyond me though one of those moments a few lives were checked off my list. I'm certain I'm on borrowed lives as it is. Haha!

Edit: I've still not learned the no solo portion. Something pristine about solo in the Bob - well, half solo, typically with my dog.

Every incident is unique. Distance is a friend as well as noise. If hunting, noise is not really ideal so hopefully line of sight is. Sometimes it's a chit sandwich.

Was hiking out of the Bob probably 1-2 am, pitch black, exhausted this past year. Not paying a stitch of attention until my dog stopped me with his growl. Maybe 60-80 yards down the trail a griz was walking my direction. Initially, I didn't know what it was other than eyes that beamed with my headlamp. Then I heard the guttural vocals and felt the chill run down my back. It stopped, a few moments that lasted a life time and the griz stepped off the trail. I watched my dog act similar to a horse. His head followed a pitch black direction... After a few (again, seemed forever) he relaxed and we continued along the trail. Eerie feeling though not the first and likely not the last.
I had my OC in left and gun in right with the right weighted across the left.
If my dog was not with me... I would likely have plowed / stumbled right into him. *First error was hiking out in the dark, tired and not aware of my surroundings - sometimes though... chit happens and we do what we have to do.
I've not tried and not sure if barking like a dog would be beneficial though it's the second occasion I've had a dog with me that was likely a factor to diminish a griz related incident. Then again, the dog's behavior would determine if a dog's a benefit or detriment.

To each his/her own though I'm a proponent of having a quality dog for this specific purpose - if the setting allows.
Scary story. I think if I had witnessed a grizzly venture off my trail into the woods about 60 yards in front of me, it would take me a while to mount the courage to continue down the trail past the spot where I last saw him. But I agree, I'd be moving the next mile or so with both the spray and the pistol out in front of me in the "ready" position.

Odds are higher that I consume bacon cupcakes myself than me seeing a griz.
Or... I may figure if I'm going out Jerimiah Johnson style against a griz... These bacon - anything - are consider my "Last Supper!" Not a bad last supper - fug the griz, bacon is mine. He'll get his with my bacon body infused good eats...

Noisy trail protocol precluded encounters that would have disturbed the bear's peaceful trail trudging.
The hunter's conundrum.

My wife has her pack hanging off the back side of our dinning room chair, atm and I brush it occasionally. The bear bells would drive me nuts if I had to hear that while enjoying the wilderness though if not hunt season and less regard for the noise in an otherwise tranquil setting, it's definitely a deterrent!

I don't have bear bells though I randomly yammer with my dog or self. You (in particular) would be entertained by my Q&A trail walking solo therapy session. :ROFLMAO: Politics - arguing with myself, etc! (j/k or maybe not...)

The hunter's conundrum.

My wife has her pack hanging off the back side of our dinning room chair, atm and I brush it occasionally. The bear bells would drive me nuts if I had to hear that while enjoying the wilderness though if not hunt season and less regard for the noise in an otherwise tranquil setting, it's definitely a deterrent!

I don't have bear bells though I randomly yammer with my dog or self. You (in particular) would be entertained by my Q&A trail walking solo therapy session. :ROFLMAO: Politics - arguing with myself, etc! (j/k or maybe not...)
Yes, bells ... no way!!! My wife says either of us would be committed if heard "talking" to the bears while hiking. :D

I don't know about grizzly bears but with black bears if you act like a lunatic the chimpanzee smacking your hands on the ground breaking sticks jump around and screaming they will piss off if it doesn't hanging his head is low and put vegetation in between unit you got a problem active hunting situations no good. Next step throw some lead over his head

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back