MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How many of you shoot adjustable turrets

I don't think I've got a scope without them. Seems that was a one way street.

Is there a simple break down of moa=minute of angle? For figuring out the turret adjustment.

Tons of them...

You have to know quite a few variables....mv, bullet weight, BC of the bullet, elevation, temp., sight height.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=/balcalc.ascx

Use this to get a rough estimates, then spend TIME ON THE RANGE, to verify. I think its also pretty important to find a load that gives very little variance in velocity from shot to shot.

Its not just as easy as reading the back of the box for a velocity and a bullet BC, and then just spinning your shit...

I spent a lot of time at the range to dial my stuff in and get the correct come-ups...be prepared for some work. I spent around 20 days at the range last year....and several more shooting in the field prior to the season.

Last edited:
Another question while we are on the topic. On a leupold do I buy the scope with the adjustable turret or do I half to send it to leupold to have them put on?

I'd really consider the m1 turret over the cds if you're looking at MOA.

I'd also think about it closely before you get both elevation and windage turrets. I got both on my first one, but I will probably go with just the elevation turret from here on out.

Isnt much physics involved in doping the wind...

Randy and I had a good talk about this subject while at SHOT Show, and we are going to be working with the marketing team at Leupold to put together a short video and some detailed information on our CDS (Custom Dial System) as well as our other dial options. The plan is to make that information available on this site, and hopefully answer many of the questions you guys might have on the subject.

In the mean time.... If anyone has specific questions on what types of dials we have available, what scopes come with the CDS option, or even how to send in an old scope and get it retrofitted, feel free to shoot me a PM and I will do my best to answer your questions.

Elkwhisper (A.K.A. Dan French- Leupold Sales Representative)

Last edited:
Dan,

When the VX-III became the VX-3, and consequently began being offered with the CDS as a regular option, I believe they switched the erector from a single spring to a dual acting spring. Do you know if the VX-II to VX-2 change, again with the turret becoming an option, will also see the VX-2 upgraded to the dual spring setup?

Thanks,
Carl

I have two scopes getting M1 elevation turrets installed as we speak. Should have them back next week.

Can't be a bad thing if one practices enought to be proficient and know limits.

Dan,

When the VX-III became the VX-3, and consequently began being offered with the CDS as a regular option, I believe they switched the erector from a single spring to a dual acting spring. Do you know if the VX-II to VX-2 change, again with the turret becoming an option, will also see the VX-2 upgraded to the dual spring setup?

Thanks,
Carl

Carl,

You are right, the VX-3 now has dual erector springs, but the VX-2 will not. Pretty much just a function of price point. The dual erector spring is definately a good reason to upgrade to a VX-3. That said, the single erector spring in the VX-2 should work just fine... we have been using target style turrets on the higher magnifcation VX-II's for a long time and they still track just fine.

Dan

Back