Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How important is it to you to own a Handgun?/ Tangent CAR THREAD

I’ve gone spells without handguns and have never really missed them. I have one in the house and I keep one in the truck but I don’t conceal/carry. Long guns have always been more fun to me so that’s where I normally allocate my gun budget.

Yep, it's important to me. My Father-in-law only shoots pistols and revolvers and while he has plenty and is always happy to bring a few to the range I like having my own so I feel like I'm contributing to our range visits. He is a .22 pistol guy but that's largely because he's lost a lot of the strength in his hands and has a hard time with heavier calibers. I just have the one revolver (.357) and I don't see myself getting another. That said, I do really like to shoot his .45 Tanfoglio and he's said that it will be mine someday. I sure hope that someday is a long, long time in the future. I carry my revolver when I'm bow hunting.....not that I really need it but I like to.

Have a Browning Buckmark for squirrel hunting. Sold all the rest during the pandemic.

Took the CC class but never sent off for the license. Use to carry at the deer lease but didn’t last. Actually dumb luck shot a coyote at about 150 with a 1911…’bout deafened me. That said, keep one in the truck console, my office desk, my desk at home, nightstand. All legal in Texas. They all get safed when necessitated.

Important to me. Also important is to enforce the law and leave honest people alone.

No kidding. People already look at me sideways because I drive a Jeep instead of a truck and watch baseball or hockey instead of football.

I can eat a ton of barbecue, though.
Hockey??? Is that even a sport?? That much ice is unnatural!!!

If I may chime in here.
A little while ago 3-4 years maybe, one of our hunt club companion's a Medical Doctor by trade an excellent wood worker by hobby.
Well he is a very staunch political person. So --- he loves to bow hunt and many times he will pop down to camp in the afternoon and hunt sometimes. One such day he was able to Bag a beautiful 10 point just before dark. He gutted his buck where it lay and it became dark, now were we hunt when it's dark, you can't find your face with a $5 pizza.
When he finished gutting he headed to camp to get his truck to get as close to the deer to drag it out. Now remember he just gutted his deer, bit of blood and everything else on him, anyway we have LOTS of coyotes, he had a bow with one arrow knocked and the coyotes decided he was a meal, now realize he was 1/2 mile from camp with as he said at least 6 or more critters looking for a meal.
Well right then he told us he decided having a pistol handy was not a bad thought, you must realize this man was a lifelong political person.

Long story short, he bought a 22 to carry since here in Arkansas we are allowed to carry a side arm when hunting. Anyway the next year he decided a 22 was not his best choice and he got a 40 cal auto.
He commented that his political outlook was changed by a pack of coyotes.

Everyone has an opinion on hand guns, but in my lifetime I've been convinced it was better to be able to defend myself and my family at anytime than to be a victim in waiting.

It's not paranoia to be earing on the side of caution for those of us that were raised by the "Weapons Instructor" of the Sheriff's Department.

Food for thought

If I may chime in here.
A little while ago 3-4 years maybe, one of our hunt club companion's a Medical Doctor by trade an excellent wood worker by hobby.
Well he is a very staunch political person. So --- he loves to bow hunt and many times he will pop down to camp in the afternoon and hunt sometimes. One such day he was able to Bag a beautiful 10 point just before dark. He gutted his buck where it lay and it became dark, now were we hunt when it's dark, you can't find your face with a $5 pizza.
When he finished gutting he headed to camp to get his truck to get as close to the deer to drag it out. Now remember he just gutted his deer, bit of blood and everything else on him, anyway we have LOTS of coyotes, he had a bow with one arrow knocked and the coyotes decided he was a meal, now realize he was 1/2 mile from camp with as he said at least 6 or more critters looking for a meal.
Well right then he told us he decided having a pistol handy was not a bad thought, you must realize this man was a lifelong political person.

Long story short, he bought a 22 to carry since here in Arkansas we are allowed to carry a side arm when hunting. Anyway the next year he decided a 22 was not his best choice and he got a 40 cal auto.
He commented that his political outlook was changed by a pack of coyotes.

Everyone has an opinion on hand guns, but in my lifetime I've been convinced it was better to be able to defend myself and my family at anytime than to be a victim in waiting.

It's not paranoia to be earing on the side of caution for those of us that were raised by the "Weapons Instructor" of the Sheriff's Department.

Food for thought
I think I posted about it here but I was circled by a big cat as I tried cutting up a hog last year. It was doing that cat growl at me in the dark, all I had was a head lamp and one shot in my rifle. All I took off that pig was a ham and a backstrap before I hauled ass.
I still don’t bother carrying a pistol much when I’m hunting but make sure I have more light and rifle ammo.

It’s important to me. I carry one all the time and I don’t care who thinks that I’m paranoid. I keep one in a biometric safe next to the bed and have my preferred CC weapon in the safe when not on me. I have a Taurus 22 revolver that I occasionally squirrel hunt with also.

I've owned and enjoyed shooting pistols for over 50 years. Before I went into the US Army in 1968 I had only owned and shot a Herter's .22 revolver. When I was deployed to Vietnam, a 1911 .45 was the only firearm that I was issued. When I got home I was assigned to Ft Sill, OK and I bought a 1911 .45 at a pawn shop.

We could draw a box (50) of ammo every day at the base range, and I took advantage of that 3 or 4 afternoons a week. After a while I became friends with the range NCO, and if the range wasn't busy, after I shot my box he would bring out 2 more boxes and we would shoot together. Just before I was released form active duty, the base pistol team NCO invited me to try out for the team.

Over the years I've acquired a number of pistols and revolvers, including several black powder ones. I usually carry a pistol when I'm hunting or just hiking in the woods. I've shot 2 black bears with my pistols, one with a Ruger .44 magnum and another with my 1911 .45 acp. I have my CC permit.

I go to our local gun range at least one day every week that I am home. Each day I shoot a couple of cylinders or magazines through up to 5 pistols at steel gongs ranging from 15 to 50 yards.

I cast bullets and reload for all of my pistols.

ive got 2 myself,,a .357 revolver,and a glock21,,,dont plan on for hunting ,but in this day and age of crazyness out there,you never know if you may need it,

I think I posted about it here but I was circled by a big cat as I tried cutting up a hog last year. It was doing that cat growl at me in the dark, all I had was a head lamp and one shot in my rifle. All I took off that pig was a ham and a backstrap before I hauled ass.
I still don’t bother carrying a pistol much when I’m hunting but make sure I have more light and rifle ammo.
Don't it make you warm and fuzzy with the hair on the back of your neck screaming "beet feet"🤩🤣🤣🤣

I have been thankful that I had one, in my hands, on multiple occasions, and I have wished that I had one with me on multiple occasions.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back