Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

How fast do you travel?

tom338

My hunting partner (who is a rookie and I'm not much better) thinks we can backpack in about 6 miles in a couple hours. I think he's nuts! #1 we are both flatlands,live at 1200 feet. Both in good shape but you can't train for lack of oxygen. I'm thinking its going to be at least 3-3 1/2 hours. Its mostly a gradual climb where we are going but also a couple creek crossings. Still it's all uphill, probally gaining1500-1800 feet total before we camp. What's your opinion on how fast you typically can travel with 60 lbs of gear on your back?

I'd say if you haven't yet set foot in the area you plan on hiking, you're just no going to know 'til you get there, when you make it to camp you'll be there. There are a ton of variables that you just can't be sure of until you see the route or talk to someone who's actually walked it.

A canyon I hunt is about half the distance at just under 3 miles and is about a 1200 foot gain, all for the most part gradual and I can do it in about an hour. I'm not packing a bunch of gear though as I day hunt it and I'm used to the elevation. I'd give yourself minimum three hours if you are trying to manage hiking in the evening and want to arrive before dark. You'll probably want to glass on the way in too and if so, make it four hours. Enjoy the hike and don't wear yourself out before your hunt.

A friend of mine says to allow two miles per hour with heavy packs in rugged terrain but with a trail. He adds thirty minutes for every 1000 feet of elevation also. This means a 2000 foot climb followed by a 1000 foot descend then 2000 foot climb adds 2 hours. He also says speed may be slowed to a half pace if elevation becomes a factor. If you go off trail this will slow you down even more. It has proven to be conservative but accurate unless you are really pushing it.

Nicely maintained National Forest trail, or a bushwhack? You can haul it on a nice trail, even with some weight on your back.

Travel across deadfall and blowdown is a different story....

2 MPH loaded on trails is a pretty solid good starting point from which you will generally only get slower depending on terrain and elevation. 3 MPH on flat double track is doable.

I understand the weight (60 lbs.) if your packing meat out. But if you packing in? Is all that weight necessary?

I don't have the funds right now to upgrade to smaller backpack style tent and bag, that adds a lot of weight to my pack. And thats a guesstimate but fairly close

I don't have the funds right now to upgrade to smaller backpack style tent and bag, that adds a lot of weight to my pack. And thats a guesstimate but fairly close

You get lightweight packs by what you don't take, rather than how light of gear you do take.

If your a flatlander, Like I am, that number is SERIOUSLY low. Being from Florida we deployed to Afghanistan and did some fairly long patrols. We were in really good shape and 6 miles could easily be 6 hours (mind you we had other concerns, but 3 miles every 2 hours was a pretty tough pace when we first got there. We were also carrying closer to 90# is a much hotter environment but you get the idea)

Tom,

All the advice you have gotten here is probably accurate, the reality is that it is tough to say. I have walked six miles deep in a couple of hours on logging roads, I have also gone in 4 miles that took almost 6, but that was blowdown jungle.

If you have been training all summer walking with a pack, on the hilliest of dirt trails you can find, the elevation is going to have an impact, but it shouldn't double your time. I think I remember you saying in another post that you hike @ a ski hill here in MN, that will be a big help. In the end, I am not sure what you are planning against, but leave yourself some extra time if possible. If you have a plan you are thinking about, feel free to shoot me a PM and I am happy to look through it with you and give you my opinion.

I have found that if we work all summer and get in good shape like said, we can do about 2 mph on a decent trail with a moderate load and reasonable gain.
The thing that has got me in the past is that according to the trail map and the computer we had about 8.4 miles, but once we got to the top, the gps was reading 10.8 miles! The actual trail wasn't line-for-line with the gps or map. Especially on the steepest parts, the switchbacks were way longer back and forth than showed on the computer or gps. We set up a 'quickie camp' in the dark that first cold night....

..Way slower than I used to,that's for sure....lol 4 Mi w/40lb pack Xcountry is a haul now @ 61.

In my prime I did Taboose Pass to Bench Lake in the Sierras in 2 days with a 65lb pack....12 mi & 6k switchback climb.Start @ 5500' at base to Taboose Pass @ 11,500 to Bench Lake @ 10.5k over the crest.
I was young & dumb.Spent 2 days recovering with the GF at the lake & waiting for the other 4 in our group. They had stayed at the 9k camp with altitude sickness.
2 mph with pack on decent trail is a good pace....below 10k without a huge climb...IMH OLD Opine lol

Nicely maintained National Forest trail, or a bushwhack? You can haul it on a nice trail, even with some weight on your back.

Travel across deadfall and blowdown is a different story....

This. You can easily get 3 mph on a good trail, especially if the elevation gain isn't too bad. On the other hand, I've hiked into places that took 4 hours to go 4 miles. (Those places are usually worth it)

Just wanting general info so we can plan on what to do when we get there, pack it in right away or wait half a day till morning.

If your only hunting @ 5k ,maybe be OK to hike in 1st day.
I'd give it a day to adjust above that.
What is elevation in your hunt area? 3k? 5k? 8-10k?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back